PDA

View Full Version : corrections questions

12-09-2006, 02:36 AM
So i am from out of state so excuse me for asking questions that may seem dumb or simple to asnwer.

In my state, county corrections is ran by the o****y corrections department, the sheriff's extent of duties in the jail is court security and transporting prisoners from the jail, to court, and back to jail. Corrections is a totally different position. I applied to Collier and got back information about becoming a jail deputy. So i have some questions about corrections in collier county.

1) you are considered a jail deputy correct or is it just deputy sheriff?

2) Does you uniform and badge say jail deputy or is it the same uniform and badge as the deputies on the road?

3) I know you do not carry a weapon in the jail, but are you permitted to carry a weapon on your uniform to and from work, and when your off duty?

4) what type of schedule do you work in the jail, 5 8 hour shifts per week or do you do like a rotating or 12 hour shifts?

5) Who handles the court room and court house, is that the corrections division or is that something totally different?

6) On your shift, are you somewhat active, or do you spend the entire time sitting or watching monitors or watching a certain door. I prefer to be active and walking or switching posts every so often, i dont think i could do an entire shift watching monitors or guarding one door. So what is a typical day like

and lastly,

7) i was told after 18 months you can apply to and go to the road. How are they on keeping there word? I heard horror stories of recruiters telling everyone they can go to the road after doing 2 years in the jail, and it never happens, they end up leaving and going elsewhere. How does collier come through on their word?

Any advice or answers would be great. Again, im not from Florida so just wnated to know how it works with the sheriff controlling the jail.

thanks!

12-14-2006, 06:53 PM
So i am from out of state so excuse me for asking questions that may seem dumb or simple to asnwer.

In my state, county corrections is ran by the o****y corrections department, the sheriff's extent of duties in the jail is court security and transporting prisoners from the jail, to court, and back to jail. Corrections is a totally different position. I applied to Collier and got back information about becoming a jail deputy. So i have some questions about corrections in collier county.

1) you are considered a jail deputy correct or is it just deputy sheriff?

2) Does you uniform and badge say jail deputy or is it the same uniform and badge as the deputies on the road?

3) I know you do not carry a weapon in the jail, but are you permitted to carry a weapon on your uniform to and from work, and when your off duty?

4) what type of schedule do you work in the jail, 5 8 hour shifts per week or do you do like a rotating or 12 hour shifts?

5) Who handles the court room and court house, is that the corrections division or is that something totally different?

6) On your shift, are you somewhat active, or do you spend the entire time sitting or watching monitors or watching a certain door. I prefer to be active and walking or switching posts every so often, i dont think i could do an entire shift watching monitors or guarding one door. So what is a typical day like

and lastly,

7) i was told after 18 months you can apply to and go to the road. How are they on keeping there word? I heard horror stories of recruiters telling everyone they can go to the road after doing 2 years in the jail, and it never happens, they end up leaving and going elsewhere. How does collier come through on their word?

Any advice or answers would be great. Again, im not from Florida so just wnated to know how it works with the sheriff controlling the jail.

thanks!

Wow! thats alot of questions!, but I'll see if I can answer them for you.

1. You are a Deputy Sheriff. However, in FL, there are different state certifications that you can hold-Law Enforcement, and Corrections. Each discipline has a seperate training program.
You can actually hold both, and be dual-certified. If you are Corrections only, you have no arrest powers, and your ID card will reflect this. Your badge will say DEPUTY SHERIFF. Your ID card will say CERTIFIED CORRECTIONS DEPUTY.
2. your uniform is the same gray, but while the LEs wear a traditional polyester/stripe on the pant leg/ pin on badge uniform, the COs wear a BDU type unifom with sewn-on badge and name/ cargo pockets/ no stripe.
Many COs wear a full duty belt , but with the holster and mag pouches empty. When they have to take in inmate to court or wherever they retrieve their weapon/mags.
3. You are permitted to carry on your uniform and off duty - You are a real deputy, and your safety is important.
4. The COs work 12 hour shifts, either 6-6 0r 5-5, depending on which jail (we have 2). You work a long week, where you work Mon, Tues, Fri, Sat, Sun, and then a short week where you only work Wed, Thur. The OT is unlimited, and there are a lot of COs that regularly make 75 + a year and still have time off, and a few who make well over 100 k doing the OT thing.( a few years ago one of these guys actually made more than the Sheriff and the Governor of FL. it made the TV news and Sheriff Hunter said great, the guy earned every penny of it, and if the Governor wants a job application we will get him one)
5. Court security is handled by the baillif division, which falls under the LE command. However, there are COs who are assigned court duty for inmate security. CCSO is CCSO, a deputy is a deputy. nobody really notices the difference, and most of the LEs came from the CO side.
6. On your shift, they send you where they need you, and the assignments vary. Some are busy, like Booking, while some are slower. It depends on where they need you that day.
7. As for going from the jail to the road, you have to apply to do it when you are eliglble. There is a selection process you must endure, and then they send you to school to become LE certified. It is not a sure thing-you have to work for it. Bottom line- if you are a good deputy in the jail- good attitude, work record, don't take lots of sick time, etc., you will probably get to go to the road when you are eligble, based on availabilty and manpower. On the whole, CCSO keeps its word on this issue- IF you work for it.
We have a big, diverse agency. The advancement and training oppurtunities are endless. But we are still a family, and we are very proud of who we are and our direction. Good luck in your efforts, and please ask any questions you may have, SOMEONE here will have an answer for you...

01-02-2007, 06:39 PM
Just curious, the badge is sewn on, for safety reasons obviously. Are you also issued a traditonal deptuy sheriff metal badge?

01-03-2007, 04:59 PM
Yes, you get a regular star for your dress uniform, and a smaller, 1/3 size star for your wallet.

01-18-2007, 05:42 AM
what would you wear the dress uniform for?

I applied to the agency and was very impressed. I felt i did great on my interview but was told i would have to go to the jail. Having a four year degree, i felt sitting in a jail was not where i should be, so Lee County Sheriff has taken me in and is sending me to the road.