PDA

View Full Version : And 2 years college makes you what......?

mk1964
12-07-2006, 10:01 PM
I believe in education and furthering yourself. I find it completely amazing that there are good officers, with tons of experience that would love to work for Jax but are shut out because of NO COLLEGE.
I have 20 years, would love to be there but can't get around that 24 year old with no experience and a degree. I know guys on my department that have Masters degrees and have no common sense.
Is the admin ever gonna read between the lines and change? A good background and interview will tell you what kind of cop your getting.
I just don't understand it.

12-12-2006, 05:07 PM
Having lived in Duval County for 5 years, I was also amazed at why a degree made you a better cop.

I know for a fact that the college degree requirement WILL be waived if you are a minority. I personally know 2 officer who DID NOT have college degrees and did get hired because they were minorities. No, they were no Africian-Americans, one was Native American and the other was Chinese-American.

JSO does a good job having to deal with everything. But, I also saw a lot of cops trying to attend UNF to further their education. I never understood why a master's degree would further your career.

After working a 12 hour shift, these poor officers would go to class and fall asleep because of exaustion. How effective is this officer going to be on little or no sleep because he/she has to have a master's degree?

Most agencies are slowly removing the requirement for college because a degree does not make you a better cop. You either have it in your heart or you don't.

12-19-2006, 01:06 PM
Come to Tampa all you need is 60 college credits or that could be waived for military or police experience. besides, our starting salary is over 40,000 a year. I to wanted to work for JSO so bad years ago. But all the games they played with my processing and all the other agencies that I turned down for JSO. I am glad that I came to TPD great deparetment to work for. :D