PDA

View Full Version : This is gonna be fun (limber up your fingers, G-man)

Ten6Niner
11-24-2006, 01:49 AM
If we're going to find mobile stolen vehicles every day, what do you think about tracking them with flight resources and undercover cars until they stop somewhere safely?

This chasing for what is a property crime is gonna kill someone (maybe one of us or our loved ones). If we've identified the car and can get the helicopter on it anyway, what possible advantage is there to chasing them in a marked car until they crash? We risk innocent civilian lives and wreck the victim's car.

Who wins in the current scenario?

11-24-2006, 03:57 AM
I think that these A-Holes who commit sig 10 pursuits are commiting numerous other crimes and must be stopped. We as LEO must pursuede state legislators to in-act a law that makes a 3-5 year minimum sentencing guideline for anyone convicted of fleeing and eluding/reckless driving and D.L revoked for life.Second I say try to use resources to PIT or stop stick these A-Holes as soon as possible. We also have to put some blame on the SAO who pick and choose what they want to prosecute,,,We all know about those embelished stats. 93 percent conviction rate however 5 percent taken to trial, rest plea bargins.

11-25-2006, 09:49 PM
Sounds great...I'll volunteer to be one of the many needed u/c cars that just drive around all day to be ready at a moments notice to follow the eagle until they stop the sg10. Let's see...maybe five south and five north u/c cars on standby for pursuits sound good? Nope, that's why we don't do it. I do agree however for stiffer minimums and a clearly defined policy. Either we chase or we don't. It's getting to be like with the bikes; they know we don't chase them and they continue to take off. Same thing will happen with the stolen vehicles, they will see that if they drive crazy enough we will stop and then everybody will start driving crazy and get away. Would love to see a county wide pursuit policy submitted to the voters of the county during the next election on if they would like us to pursue or not pursue stolen vehicles. Based on the results we could either do it or not do it...and they wouldn't have anybody to complain to.

11-27-2006, 06:00 PM
I think an alternative to chasing sig 10's is a good thing. I usually disagree with 10-69er but he has a good point. SPPD uses UC cars for that very thing. However, we dont have the sig 10 problem that SPPD does. Hopefully technology produces better devices to stop cars without pursuing them. A long drawn out pursuit is not worth the risk to the public.

You new guys will most likely not agree with that thought. I thought the way you did once, and have changed. When you have a family and consider what would happen if they were on the other end of a pursuit, you change your mind. Violent felonies should be the only things pursued at any length.

I get it that we cant let criminals run rampant and run from us all the time. But you have to consider whats the greater good and greater danger. A greater percentage of people that run from us, run because they have a suspended license (a mere status offense, felony or not), because they have a bad traffic history, or because they have a small amount of dope. Once in a blue moon they run because they just robbed, killed or raped someone. That does not happen as often as you'd think.

I personally think they should design a big EMP gun that shuts cars off, ending any chance of a pursuit. One day maybe, we will see.

As far as prison sentences go, lets get real. The state of Florida has almost felonized every dam crime. Its getting ridiculous. Prison needs to be full of murderers, robbers, rapists, and sex offenders. They need to dole out realistic sentences. They need to forefeit more assets. They need to make prison and jail more like hard time. I dont agree with making more minimum mandatory sentences that judges will still be able to depart from if they want to. get real.