PDA

View Full Version : Possession of rifles for officer and public safety

copdoc
11-23-2006, 09:01 AM
After the recent assault rifle attack on two Florida City police officers in mid-November 2006, the use of an AK-47 against a Miami-Dade officer within the last year during a motor vehicle stop, and the most notorious shootout with LAPD officers with the three bank robbery suspects for what, 26 minutes, in 2000-2001, why aren't all Florida officers equipped and trained with some type of high capacity rifle?

Now, yesterday, 11/22/06, Davie had an armed felon pursued through their town with Fort Lauderdale Police appearing to be the primary pursuers. The suspect reportedly fired on police officers TWICE, and during the media footage, I saw what appeared to be Ft. Lauderdale Police with rifles (AR-15s?), but Davie officers with only their pistols.

Have Florida cities and towns not learned from the mistakes of the past, where law enforcement have been outgunned by bad guys carrying superior fire power. Florida is already proving to be more dangerous by the day, and the homicide rate scheduled to be a record breaking year!

If the police officers aren't safe, then who will be there to protect the citizens of Florida?

11-23-2006, 11:13 AM
FHP will never carry AR-15's. FHP is so scared of what the public thinks about them. If they can't carry tasers what makes you think they are going to allow their Troopers with AR-15's. Sad but true!!!!

11-24-2006, 03:45 AM
FHP will never carry AR-15's. FHP is so scared of what the public thinks about them. If they can't carry tasers what makes you think they are going to allow their Troopers with AR-15's. Sad but true!!!!

It will not happen until someone gets into a situation where they needed an AR-15. I would love to see troopers carry some type of weapon other than a 40 cal. and shotgun. If it would keep one troopers picture off the wall at the academy it would be worth the expence and training for all. Why wait till something happens to do this?

11-24-2006, 05:03 AM
I was at in service training in Tallahassee last year and one of the Troopers asked the Colonel this question. The initial response was that it was too costly to equip each Trooper with a rifle. I would tend to agree wit that. The Trooper then asked if it would be possible to come up with an approved list of rifles and allow Troopers to purchase one out of their own pocket (hey, it's better than nothing....plus it would be a decent tax write off). It would be similar to off duty/ back up weapons. The Colonel's response was that he didn't think Troopers should have to pay for a weapon out of their own pocket. So in a nut shell, the answer was no.

11-25-2006, 01:56 AM
Like I said! FHP is scared what the public thinks! Public image. When I was a Trooper I got behind a stolen vehicle. I called it in and the shift commander had me canceled. It was a midnight shift,no traffic and the weather condition was clear. The response I got was Ten 39(message delivered) to another agency!!!!!!!!!! I never activated my lights!! I was mad! FHP only wants to work crashes and leave the real police work to others!!!!!!

11-25-2006, 07:36 AM
we were authorized to be able to carry ar-15 rifles about 4-5 years ago. we have to purchase on our own and can be only a colt or bushmaster .223

11-25-2006, 02:14 PM
we were authorized to be able to carry ar-15 rifles about 4-5 years ago. we have to purchase on our own and can be only a colt or bushmaster .223

That's a decent plan. Obviously it would be better if the agency would pay for it but at least you have the option. Colt and Bushmaster make fine firearms. I think a Mini 14 would be a good option also because it's a little cheaper but still a good rifle. Maybe someday we'll be able to carry them. :(

12-09-2006, 09:38 AM
You guys are not authorized to carry AR-15's....Ask any one in Troop C. X Trooper!

12-09-2006, 05:16 PM
We ARE authorized to carry an AR-15 for several years now!

12-13-2006, 03:40 AM
We ARE authorized to carry an AR-15 for several years now!

If you are SRT. A normal trooper can't.

12-15-2006, 08:15 AM
We at MPD wiill have to call miami beach for help!

12-16-2006, 10:30 AM
Thank you! I know in Troop C, a normal Trooper IS NOT authorized to carry a rifle!! I am an x Trooper and I still have friends who work in Troop C. The final word is NO RIFLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

12-26-2006, 06:57 PM
HELP

12-26-2006, 10:43 PM
Thank you! I know in Troop C, a normal Trooper IS NOT authorized to carry a rifle!! I am an x Trooper and I still have friends who work in Troop C. The final word is NO RIFLES!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A NORMAL Trooper????????????????????

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

12-27-2006, 04:22 PM
Like I said! FHP is scared what the public thinks! Public image. When I was a Trooper I got behind a stolen vehicle. I called it in and the shift commander had me canceled. It was a midnight shift,no traffic and the weather condition was clear. The response I got was Ten 39(message delivered) to another agency!!!!!!!!!! I never activated my lights!! I was mad! FHP only wants to work crashes and leave the real police work to others!!!!!! We used to chase anything that moved. However, we started to get dumb arse rookies like you that can't drive, use discretion, and obviously follow policy. I do not agree with the pursuit policy, however it is policy. The reason for the change was as a result of innocent family members being killed, by either the bad guy or the cop chasing him. Most were due to no license, suspended license or some petit theft charge not hardly worth a life. Most agencies within the state have adopted the same pursuit policy. Forcible Felony's are worth the risk, don't you think. But try running over a pedestian only to find out that the 15 year you were chasing only ran because he did't have a DL. Tell that to the family. Courtesy, Protection, Service. Obvisouly that doen't fall under protection or service. Don't like it find an agency with a pursuit policy you like. As for rifles, We could use a few on the road at least each Sergeant/Lieutenant and one on each squad. Years ago after the bank robbery in LA, the military offered the patrol AR15's for free. The administration at the time looked at it and refused, stating that the cost of training initially and continually would result in the loss of manpower on the road as well as they feared liability from a weapon that could possibly miss it's target and countiue down the street for several city blocks as opposed to one or two. Like the ideal and hope that we get some before a major incident. Just hope some of you college kids can handle the responsiblity.

01-19-2007, 10:31 PM
HELP

01-20-2007, 12:02 AM
what you have to ask your self is do i want the AR-15 because it looks cool or because it is a long range weapon with a large magizine? i work for a small green and white department i put in for the remington pump 223 rifle for patrol, took about a year but we have 7 or 8 now and looks like more are on the way. it looks like the remington 870 pump shotgun,fits the same shotgun lock in the crown vic so there was no added cost there, the sound of rackikng the rifle sounds the same as the shotgun,but it just dont have that "public shock factor". right it dont "look cool" but it is dead on at 50 yards factory setting, so try that approach. just an idea, for the real cool guys you can buy a tac sling and sling it in the front like on tv.

01-27-2007, 09:43 PM

Yeah Boudrot

01-28-2007, 02:31 PM
We have had rifles for years We also have options to have both shot gun or just one. Its a great thing. I might be mistaken but I thought I have seen Fl Troopers with them in their cars? Or is that just your Felony unit?

01-05-2008, 05:56 PM
After the recent assault rifle attack on two Florida City police officers in mid-November 2006, the use of an AK-47 against a Miami-Dade officer within the last year during a motor vehicle stop, and the most notorious shootout with LAPD officers with the three bank robbery suspects for what, 26 minutes, in 2000-2001, why aren't all Florida officers equipped and trained with some type of high capacity rifle?

Now, yesterday, 11/22/06, Davie had an armed felon pursued through their town with Fort Lauderdale Police appearing to be the primary pursuers. The suspect reportedly fired on police officers TWICE, and during the media footage, I saw what appeared to be Ft. Lauderdale Police with rifles (AR-15s?), but Davie officers with only their pistols.

Have Florida cities and towns not learned from the mistakes of the past, where law enforcement have been outgunned by bad guys carrying superior fire power. Florida is already proving to be more dangerous by the day, and the homicide rate scheduled to be a record breaking year!

If the police officers aren't safe, then who will be there to protect the citizens of Florida?