PDA

View Full Version : Teamsters Law Enforcement League

11-21-2006, 11:56 PM
Just so everyone knows, the International Brotherhood of Teamsters represents law enforcement officers. This is not new, just not very well known. The Teamsters will agressively represent it's members. Teamsters Local 385, http://www.local385.org has represented police officers and deputy sheriff's for well over ten years. Local 385 employs active and retired law enforcement officers as business agents to better represent it's members. These business agents have considerable experience in representing officers/deputies in internal affairs investigations and the disciplinary process. If your agency is not represented, or you are considering making a change, please contact the Teamsters. Teamsters has a hundred year history of representing members to improve wages, hours, and working conditions, no other union can say that.

11-23-2006, 08:47 AM
Um. Since our labor representation has already been decided and when soliciting was conducted they were not around, I would have to question their effectiveness and aility.

11-23-2006, 11:52 PM
I would have to question the effectiveness and ability of our current representation. How are we any better off today then we were pre-FOP? :?: What direction are we going? I know... I know... come to the meeting and we'll have a real organized blah blah session. The only reason we have the FOP around still is because the BREW CREW wanted to keep their clubhouse and have place to park their RV's. This is not to say the Teamsters or PBA would have been any better.

:?

11-24-2006, 12:42 PM
I have to agree with Guest Q, there has not been one thing accomplished with the voting in of the "union" but hey there is a lot of beer being slopped. Just like pre FOP...."wait its coming, be patient". How about this, Stop Stagnating the Ranks!, get the hell out of the way and let some new thinkers in. Once again I know, "Its always been done this way". I guess we get what we deserve ...nothing.

11-24-2006, 09:12 PM
I have experienced extreme effectiveness under Teamsters representation the last six years has netted twenty thousand dollars plus of salary increases at my agency. The Teamsters may not be the largest representative of law enforcment, but they have a long history of working for it members. Teamsters represents over 12,000 cops Nationwide, and over a thousand in Central Florida alone. Unlike the FOP, the lead negotiator does not work for the department, he/she is employed by the Union, and his only obligation is to the members. I am not saying your officers are any less devoted to it's members, but my chief can not transfer my business agent to midnight because he doesn's like what he says.

I widh you all luck. Stay Safe!

11-24-2006, 09:49 PM
I hear what everyones saying look folks Abe Carmack is a great person to have as a rep for LEO's, the guy is not part of the brew crew, doesnt park his RV at the lake front, or take all expenses paid trips to st pete beach w/ the family so he can get sloshed and eat and drink on members money aint that right connely and layton??? Carmack has LEO's best interest in mind, and some great Ideas, doesnt mean Unit 1 aint going to shoot them down but the effort is there. bottom line the sheriff is laughing at us because we voted it in and there is no union-ship, the majority of the cops that voted it in dont stand together, we need a majority. agreed the lodge ought to be somewhere else more appealing to members not the brew crew, lets stick together here guys/girls and get some things voted in that benefits us. instead of yapping about how nothings changed. when Unit 1 sees theres no big following/unionization he shoots most big ticket proposals down with no real reprecussions..think about it

11-24-2006, 10:22 PM
Guest is absolutelt correct. No matter what union represents you, without a united front you will surely fail. The members need to voice their concerns and desires to your officers, if the officers to not do the will of the membership then they should be replaced, but again without unity you will have nothing.

12-07-2006, 12:29 PM
Actually the sheriff's attorney has shot EVERYTHING down. This is proof he does not want to negotiate with, or for the deputies. He speaks of people in leadership positions not settling for the status quo, but that is all he has shown us for years. He seeks to remain in with the status quo! Well, I am sorry to burst the bubble, but the status quo is on their way out. Simon was the first example. A lot of us have remained registered with the republican party, but that does not mean we will vote for idiots in a general election just because they are republican. Go ahead and shoot down every little request these people busting their butts propose to you. Know what sheriff? #uck around #uck around and you wont be around!

12-08-2006, 02:02 AM
the reason you don't know anything the Union is doing or is trying to do is because you or most everyone else doesn't attend the meetings to be heard. ALso from what I hear the Admin won't allow any sharing of information via work emails, etc. Nor can it be discussed during work hours. Hence no one knowing what is going on and getting upset with no action.

12-08-2006, 11:17 AM
You have a constitutional right to talk to a co-worker about anything you want as long as it doesn't hinder the effectiveness of the agency in carrying out it's mission. Since ours is community pleasing, just don't make off color remarks and keep the information you pass along at a topic level that won't create hostility among your co-workers. OOOPS! I guess that means you can't comment on how well the sheriff is working WITH us on collective bargaining issues. Know how we can fire his arse? vote for whoever the other guy will be!

12-09-2006, 02:24 PM
Seems like both sides of the house were sold a bill of goods with the FOP.

For all of you out there that voted for them or any others WHY THE **** IS THERE SUCH A PROB WITH YOU ALL SHOWING UP FOR MEETINGS!!!!
You voted for them, yet you don't show at meetings, you @itch and moan about "nothing" being done but WHAT HAVE YOU DONE TO HELP?????

I didn't vote for the FOP and I sure don't think my PRES is the "STAR PLAYER" to be my rep. Try to get him to do his job the correct way, oh brother.

Some of the officers are great folks. Have some good ideas while others are in left field and all the see is $$$$$$$$$ as the issue or "Getting back at the Sgt's and "A" Lt. No talking to them, I have tried and I get, what I feel, is lip service. Have one great guy that knows what he is talking about yet I know he is so burned out on dealing with and seeing idiots that he just might end his role with those other officers. I hope he does not do this. The folks that voted for this NEED HIM. I think he has good ideas and the best in mind for ALL PARTIES (Both sides) in mind.

ANY WAY, IF YOU VOTED FOR IT BACK IT UP WITH ACTION. SUPPORT WHAT YOU WANTED, DON"T HIDE IN THE DARK. STEP UP and BE COUNTED!

12-10-2006, 09:55 AM
This whole line of negotiations has been carefully set in motion and dictated by the boss. He wants the union out and will not agree on a thing until well after the negotiations reach impass. The inconsistencies from management side should not be discussed with them until after we hit impass and then we should show our cards to the media. Then the real inaccuracies will be exposed.

The above poster is right though. Everyone not working should show up carrying signs during the next negotiation meeting. I bet the media would start asking questions about the hold up on our contracts then!