PDA

View Full Version : Citizen academy?

11-17-2006, 02:16 AM
Can anyone tell me if the Volusia County Sheriff's Office has any kind of citizen police academy? I know that the Seminole County Sheriff's Office has one, just to give the citizens a better understanding of the concepts and procedures involved in law enforcement. Seminole County's seems pretty neat but Volusia's would most likely be closer to me.

I looked all over the website and didn't see anything about one, so I'm thinking maybe they don't offer one. If someone is aware that they do offer something like this, who would I contact about it (who's the coordinator)?

11-18-2006, 04:44 PM
Click here (http://volusia.org/countycouncil/Citizens%20Academy%20curriculum%202006.pdf) to see the curriculum of the Volusia citizens' academy. :)

11-18-2006, 06:18 PM
Thanks for the info. Too bad they don't have something just for Law Enforcement, like in Seminole. I don't think it would be worth it to participate in the whole thing just for the one day about the Sheriff's Office special units.

11-28-2006, 06:12 AM
WHAT HAPPENS AFTER YOU COMPLETE THE COURSE?

Do you offer an auxiliary officer program?
I just retiered as a LEO and moved into area and would like to stay active!

11-28-2006, 05:19 PM
Retired LEO, you might want to consider joining the Citizen Observer Program here in Volusia County. Check out this link for more info:

http://www.volusia.org/sheriff/cop.htm

There is also a Citizen Volunteer Auxiliary Program. You can read more about that here:

http://www.volusia.org/sheriff/volunteer.htm

I think it's great that you want to stay active and both of the programs mentioned above just might be what you're looking for. I wish you luck in finding something that fits your groove.

Oh and welcome to Volusia County, I hope you like it here! :)

11-30-2006, 05:21 AM
THANKS, BUT WAS LOOKING FOR SOMETHING WITH ARREST POWERS, AUXILARY P.O. MAYBE?

11-30-2006, 03:19 PM
:lol: Maybe you shouldn't have retired. I don't think that there is anything like that at the VCSO.

11-30-2006, 08:22 PM
:lol: Maybe you shouldn't have retired. I don't think that there is anything like that at the VCSO.

well, my depatment had it and they would pay you $1 a year and you had to do 10 hours a month, but it kept your certification up to date!

11-30-2006, 09:43 PM
You might want to try giving the VCSO a call. They could have something like that and maybe they just don't advertise it.

I am sure though that they would be glad to have you in one of those other two volunteer programs I mentioned, if you change your mind.

11-30-2006, 11:08 PM
You might try one of the city agencies in Volusia County (like Oak Hill or Lake Helen)

12-01-2006, 08:52 AM
THANKS

12-05-2006, 08:50 PM
Maybe you can have Media Mike from Daytona Beach do it.

12-06-2006, 11:22 PM
Do what?

12-08-2006, 11:48 PM
Have a Citizens Police Academy. I am certain the News-Journal would put it in the paper.

12-09-2006, 08:49 PM
I could swear that they used to have one, unless I'm confused. I might just ask the Sheriff's Office about this. If they did have one at one point than they must have stopped it for a reason. I would guess maybe enough people weren't going to it or something like that. Or it could have been taking up too many resources, who knows. If I do find out anything, I will post it, just for the record folks.