PDA

View Full Version : LEE OR COLLIER WHY?

11-16-2006, 03:07 PM
Testing is done and I'm in background for both. I live in Lee. Question is I should be offered both, has anyone worked for Lee they dont have a board here. Which one should a person take? I know this is a open question ,just looking for input.

11-16-2006, 05:18 PM
Schedule a ride-a-long with both agencies. Make sure you go to the roll call and listen to what they are saying (Rumors, complaints, supervisors, other deputies etc...). Then as you ride with the deputy, ask questions!

While riding with one agency, DO NOT mention that you have applied to both agencies and are trying to decide which one to go to. You will get more information if they think that you will be working with them and not against them.

Once your done, look and compare. You will know then which agency is right for you. There IS a difference between the agencies. It is small but for some it is enough. I have known those that left us to go there. Some stayed and some could not come back fast enough.

It all comes down to personal choice so invest two nights of your life and gather the info. It will be well worth your time and career.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

11-16-2006, 08:03 PM
are you currentyl certified or did you apply for sponsorship? Are you going for road patrol or the jail? Lee County will be more willing to sponsor non certified people through the academy for the road, and collier is very selective as to who they will send through the academy for the road, they will probably persuade you to go to the jail.

11-16-2006, 08:06 PM
im sent pre-applications to both places, and am going through the interview and all with Collier, havent sent anything back to Lee yet. What attracts me to Collier more is the Sheriff. I can't say anything bad about sheriff scott in lee county, but i really really like the fact the sheriff Hunter in Collier County has been there for SO long and was a deputy before being sheriff. To me that is really something, you know he cares, knows what its like, has been there, and probably isnt going anywhere for a long time. That shows stability to me, i would never want to work for an agency where the #1 man changes every feew years. But i have to say overall, when you look on these boards everyone *****es about their department and their sheriff, but i never hear anything bad about either Lee or Collier. If Collier wont take me for the road, i will be trying Lee next.

11-16-2006, 08:24 PM
APPLYING FOR sponsorship at both lee has my name on the board for the next class I've passed poly and drug so far and I'm in background and was told that should be done next week or two.Collier I've taken every test and I'm in B/I there also, for road at both.[/b]

11-16-2006, 09:05 PM
in process, which was a quicker and smoother process for you so far, lee or collier. ive dealt with collier more and no complaints, really friendly, havent dealt with lee yet other than initial application and a phone call.

11-16-2006, 11:30 PM
So far Collier has had me do all my test and they are out of the way just doing my back ground now-Lee did my poly and fingerprints and drug test and I'm in background now after that I will have to do phy,psy,audio so they have both been smooth Collier has just spent there money up front to do my testing. My background is squeaky clean so I will get offers from both I'am sure with 4+ years on the road in NJ several years ago.

11-18-2006, 07:45 AM
When is the next academy, January or March? IM confused, i know SWFCJA generally holds classes starting in January and July, but apparently there was a class started in October, so does that mean there will be a class starting in March in addition to the class starting in January????

11-18-2006, 03:59 PM
Monday, January 08, 2007 7:30am 11:30am 1 1 Overview of Program 4.00

01-31-2007, 12:04 AM
I keep hearing about how Don Hunter was a Deputy before he became sheriff. Those of us who were there then, KNOW that he was NOT a street cop, knows nothing about street work and was a budget man before becoming Chief, then Sheriff. Check your facts guys before you step off into something you might be sorry for moving there.

01-31-2007, 01:27 PM
Hey Classified,

I guess all that means is that you don't need to be a cop to be a good Sheriff... :shock:

01-31-2007, 11:41 PM
Have you tried to walk up and talk casually with the sheriff from either county in a social setting?? I bet one was much more approachable. Guess who. Former road deputy who issued citations and worked crashes daily. That has no implications on which is a better sheriff but it's something I have noticed. :wink:

02-01-2007, 12:10 AM
Maybe the Sheriff did not want to talk to you? Maybe he had something on his mind? Maybe this or maybe that? Maybe...

Whats the point?

I think the point is that no matter what someone does or does not, someone will always complain about it. Sometimes someone always need something to complain about because they are miserable people.

Just remember, when you point your finger at someone else, you have three pointing back at you.

Try thinking positive for once and turn a negatives situation into a positive one.

And one last thing...The glass is half full!!

02-01-2007, 02:07 AM
Go for it! You can do it! We are all behind you!..... Just go with your gut, pick one and stick with your choice without floundering. They are both great agencies. You live in Lee, so why not save the drive time?

02-01-2007, 11:23 AM
tHIS IS A OLD POST i'M IN THE 4TH WEK OF ACADEMY FOR lEE

02-06-2007, 12:26 AM
Glad you made it to the academy. Do this job from the heart and not from your back pocket and you'll do great things. My previous message was to warn younger men of the snags that you cant see right now. Keep the faith baby.

02-06-2007, 12:30 AM
And to you my dear Classyfried, you are correct in your observations. The old saying, "you have to be one to know one" is alive and well these days. Mike Scott has been there, done that and been back again. He's looked into the eyes of his fellow officers when they were in pain, scared or just plain upset. He knows how they feel. He knows what to expect from them and has walked in their shoes. Glory is in the doing and not in the saying I'm going to do". Good luck my friend.

02-06-2007, 05:13 PM
Is it me or does Collier County seem to fire people for anything? I rarely see anybody in Lee County getting let go.

02-06-2007, 10:13 PM
Collier fires people who commit Time Card Fraud, Conduct Unbecoming of a Deputy, Excessive Use of Force, etc...

We have standards and policies and when you do not follow them, you will be fired!

As someone said not too long ago; It's not hard to come to work, do your job, go home and collect a paycheck!

All agencies have their problems with personnel and it seems to run in waves. It was CCSO turn, then Lee and now it is back with us. Hang on, another agency or department will be in the limelight soon.

02-07-2007, 12:13 AM
I'm on the outside looking in. But I base my views on 25 years of police work under my belt. Where I worked we had civil service and a strong union. You could still get rid of the bad apples. But the ones who were disliked by the bosses even though they did their job well were not harassed.

In 25 years I never once thought to myself, "I know this is good for the public, but will it upset my superiors?" It is a great feeling knowing that you have rights and representations when the boss tries to poke you in the eye.

If Sheriff Hunter is such a great boss I would think he would welcome a union with open arms. That way when he retires and the next Sheriff who gets elected is not as nice as Hunter, Sheriff Hunter will at least know his men are protected even after he is gone.

02-07-2007, 10:50 AM
Here we go again...Someone from somewhere else is going to come down here and tell us what we need. :(

We do not need a union!!! If we do then we will vote on it. Until then try reading the other agencies on this web site who have a union and tell me how happy they really are. Tell me how they are not divided and most of all, tell me why the tone of their message boards are a complete opposite of this board since we have it so bad without a union. :?

Point being is that unions cause divisions, is old school and create more problems than what they solve... Thanks but NO THANKS!!! :evil:

So if you are thinking about joining our agency do yourself a favor and look at another agency that already has a union. You would never be happy with all of us who are very happy. :D

Good luck 8)

02-07-2007, 06:32 PM
Did you per chance read my last paragraph?

"If Sheriff Hunter is such a great boss I would think he would welcome a union with open arms. That way when he retires and the next Sheriff who gets elected is not as nice as Hunter, Sheriff Hunter will at least know his men are protected even after he is gone."

While the going is great now and everything is just super-duper fine. You are aware that Sheriff Hunter will one day retire? When that happens you could get someone just as caring and wonderful as he is or you could get someone who is not. If you like to take one day at a time...well that's just great for you. But think of your junior officers with just a few years on. Ten years from now the climate could be terrible and working conditions harsh. Then the new Sheriff fights you tooth and nail against bringing in a union.

I love the smiley faces, but facts and planning for the future are more important. Oh as for joining your department, while I have the greatest respect for my fellow officers working and retired. I don't need the money, you see my union fought for and won a great retirement package for it's members.

02-07-2007, 07:52 PM
Then why are you going to come to our site and tell us what we need?

We will address the situation IF it ever happens, until then please take your doom and gloom to another board, we do not need it, want it or even like it.
'
Why is it when ever people are happy and doing well, someone always has to butt in and tell you how bad things are or could be.

I have an idea, lets have a vote and settle the issue once and for all!!

WHO WANTS A UNION AT CCSO?:

All in favor say I: :?

All apposed say NO: :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x :x

Ther you have it! An overwhelming vote of 10 to 1.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D YEAAAAAAAAA!!!! GOOD BYE UNION

Have a nice retirement dear sir...

02-07-2007, 08:44 PM
I'll still be retired and happy in 10 years. I hope you can say the same. Never met a cop before who did not want to be prepared for the worse, I guess it's a SW Florida thing.

By the way, the smiley faces, my nephew and niece 5 and 6 respectively do the same thing when they send me e-mail cute when it is a kid doing it.

02-07-2007, 09:30 PM
You should try it sometime, it's fun! (Unless the union would prohibit such a thing?)

But you said it. It is a SW FLA thing I guess. We believe in having fun, enjoying life, trusting others while treating people with respect and just plain ole believing in southern hospiltality.

Seriously, enjoy your retirement, you have earned it!

CG

02-08-2007, 07:01 PM
Curios George,

"Collier fires people who commit Time Card Fraud, Conduct Unbecoming of a Deputy, Excessive Use of Force"

Conduct Unbecoming in my agency could be using profane language towards a citizen. Collier would actually fire you for this under Conduct Unbecoming?

02-08-2007, 09:04 PM
You are correct Sir, only one person defines your action as misconduct and there is no tangible appeal process. No arbitration, medation or due process - hence the old "no one ever got in trouble for doing nothing".

02-09-2007, 01:39 PM
Yeah OK guys. What, DUI's don't count as Conduct Unbecoming in CCSO?

"I have only been with CCSO for a short time but everything I have seen to date has impressed me favorably. I worked for 2 other FL departments before CCSO, in investigations, patrol and as a supervisor, and I can truly say that we are the best- in training, in equipment, in the caliber of deputies we have, and yes, in the leadership of the agency as well. We are treated and paid like professionals. As such, we are expected to ACT like professionals- and we usually do. When we don't, we are dealt with on an individual basis. If we are honest, and the offense is not too horrible, we get punished, but still keep our jobs. (just look at the two deputies who got DUIs within the last couple of years)-they are still deputies)"

02-09-2007, 02:43 PM
D.C. Hall told the truth...even gave them a dvd of his hobby...seems he still got fired...

02-09-2007, 03:28 PM
A blanket statement that CCSO fires for a sustained violation of Conduct Unbecoming is misleading at best. It depends on the severity and repetition of the alledged incident.

No, you will not get fired for using profanity but yes you will be disciplined.

02-09-2007, 04:09 PM
DC Hall needed to be fired. What he did was a slap in the face for CCSO and road units! Especially since he had been stopped several times before for speeding and the likes. He was warned and he knew better. To imply that he was not justly fired is beyond me and lends doubt to your moral ethics and positive attributes to our agency.

JMHO

Curious George,

I love the vote and icons!! Now that is funny...I don't care who you are :)

02-10-2007, 11:57 PM
Paradise,

Yeah those icons are real funny if you are five. But then again, anyone with a screen name like curious george must be juvenile.

02-11-2007, 04:17 PM
google Curios and learn how to read guest haha

02-14-2007, 01:47 PM
Guest,

You obviously haven't been reading the newspapers lately, have you? Lee County Sheriff's Office has fired better than 40 members this year. CCSO has released less than 17.