View Full Version : Navarre Incident after Ivan

11-16-2006, 12:47 PM
Here is what one resident of Navarre thinks over on the Santarosafl.com blog:

gooseneck
Forum Veteran

Santa Rosa News Rocks!!!

Re: Officers Brutality in Navarre
« Reply #70 on: Today at 4:02am » Quote Modify

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Apparently they are only charging the Pinellas County Deputy. A lot of the details that were on this board never made it into the current article. No mention of the wife being abused (and bruised). No mention of the abuse of the second gentleman. I think the Deputy should be smart and apologize and be greatful that the armed citizens of Navarre did not remove him from society and mount him over their fireplace.

11-16-2006, 06:56 PM
Sure is nice to see the men and women of the department are appreciated by the residents living in the aftermath of the storm. :shock:

11-17-2006, 12:25 AM
Makes you wonder why anyone LEO would want to come assist the panhandle in an emergency situation. The OT money just isn't worth the effort.

If anyone should be apologizing, it should be the residents who fired the shot(s) and failed to follow lawful commands.

11-17-2006, 05:10 AM
Next Storm that reduces this county to a 3rd world country like Ivan did the looters will have a field day. Darn sure won't be too many agencies willing to help Santa Rosa. Bad enough officers had to deal with dirtbags left & right. Then these Navarre &#^$heads are going to fire "warning" shots to "protect" some neighbors "property". As #&*$hot "Former Law Enforcement" I guess they were just SCARED.
Thanks Pinellas County S.O.

11-19-2006, 08:49 PM
What a bad situation to be in. I didn't make that trip, however I made trips during other storms. Our agency will come back and help in needed in the future. The Deputy has a good attorney which our Sheriff was able to secure on his behalf. We would love all the support possible. If your able to make it to the court house, please come support your brother. THIN BLUE LINE.

11-26-2006, 12:20 AM
Wow, a LEO indicted for tasering an armed subject while deployed in a hurricane ravaged area full of looters ? Good luck Santa Rosa, and probably many other places, the next time a hurricane or State of Emergency come through your area.

Just think of the ramifications of this indictment. Basically they are saying that anyone anywhere that is tasered can be federally indicted if the State doesn't file and there is a sympathetic Assistant US Attorney to take up the case. The poster that said this deputy is no angel is missing the big picture. ANYONE could have been indicted in this case.

I have been in front of the Federal Grand Jury to indict people and they are only given the facts or allegations that the US Attorney wants them to hear. While not a slam dunk, an indictment is quite likely when a AUSA articulates the way he/she wants the story to be told.

As far as the retired NYPD Captain and retired military guy go, they of all people should realize that during stressful situations there are friendly fire incidents and mistakes made. And that statement is only made if we assumed the deputy made the mistake while in all likelihood the other two made the error in judgement.

I know one thing for sure, I will NEVER go to the panhandle area for any deployment and neither should the rest of us. Sorry SRSO guys I know it's not you but I think you understand.

I just hope the spineless AUSA gets their house looted and there is no extra help to intervene.

11-26-2006, 10:51 PM
Yeah, well next time **** using the taser.....shot them

11-28-2006, 06:52 PM
Well, "Non Navarre Resident", I guess by reading your post you were there when all this took place. I mean obviously you talk like you know what you are talking about. Guess what...I was there and the wife was never manhandled or abused. As a matter of fact she falsely identified herself as law enforcement at one time and then tried to interfere. It was only because the collective horrible local sheriff's officers that were there decided not to arrest that she didn't go to jail with her husband. I agree with most citizens...forget the tasers and go back to just useing your weapons, then there won't be as many lies told about what really happened. It is not legal to shoot someone who is stealing, especially on property that is across a canal and not even yours! And did anyone mention that this same man had been tased before during an arrest a year previous because he is such a jerk?!?!? Wonder why he didn't make a big deal out of that situation?!?!? Unless you were there, keep your mouth shut!

11-28-2006, 11:59 PM
Was:
You missed the point, the post was copied to this site by a "non Navarre resident" so you would know not everyone agreed with what the idiot "gooseneck" was saying over on another thread about shooting law enforcement officers. gooseneck has a very bad attitude about just about everything and law enforcement in general. Kind of guy you would like to have on a traffic stop late one night on a long lonely road.....

02-09-2007, 01:26 PM
Well, I guess the Feds just took over in Santa Rosa...doesn't matter the victim lied to the Grand Jury stating he was kicked in the face when evidence presented he wasn't...hmm..even your newspaper reported there was no evidence the victim was kicked.....sounds like a lot of good ole boy politics up there....wonder what else the victim lied about???? This was a victory for all the right wing liberals and a warning for all of you who put your life on the line every single day...

What goes round, comes around...good luck in the next hurricane...you'll need it. By the way...wasn't it your county Pinellas had to come in and run several years ago because of some incident where your Sheriff was removed? Payback maybe??? Makes one wonder.

02-11-2007, 11:40 PM
I would like express my support for the deputy involved in this incident. I was not there but from everything I have heard from people that were there. I feel that the deputy would have been justified in SHOOTING the subject but he choose to TASER.. I think the subject is very LUCKY and should be thanking his lucky ^%$ that he still has one.

I agree with another post which said that the subject being retired law enforecment should have known better...I guess its good he's retired if he can't follow orders and lies.

Because of this RETIRED person status is going to make agency/volunteers to re-think helping in the time of need. I'm all for helping but to flat out screwed like this deputy did its not right.

02-12-2007, 05:17 AM
The depth of ignorance always amazes me.These facts are not in ?/dispute:

#1The Deputies where in a deserted home. .Why?
#2 911 call placed concering lotters in the house prior to shot being fired in the gnd.
#3 When challenged deputy replied "FU"in contrast when US Special forces knocked doors down to rescue Jessica Lynch they announced "We are American Soliders"-Different standards?
#4* Farnham's partner on advice of his attorney refused to testify for Farnham(Took 5th)

*PENSACOLA NEWS JOURNAL---8 FEB07 <mailto:nlozare@pnj.com>

"_________, who has not been charged, declined to testify as a witness on Wednesday, on advice from his attorney."

#5Farnham claimed shots were fired @ him.Defense attorney attempted unsuccessfully to suppress the fact that the shot was fired into the ground & were recovered by an investigator (on film) -Farnham's story then changed.
#6Farnham record reflects* 8 dispinary actions against him ;in contract the victims have a combined record of over 50 years outstanding service to the US.

*"Pasha(sheriff's spokeswoman Marianne Pasha )said Farnham has been disciplined or counseled on issues eight times. In two of those instances, records show, he was reprimanded or suspended for failing to file use-of-force reports in a timely manner, though he never has been conclusively found to have used excessive force, Pasha said. Whenever a deputy uses force in a situation, he is required to fill out a form."
Reporter Stephen Thompson can be reached at (727) 823-3303 (TBO.

#7 Farnham got caught in a lie concerning what the victim was doing when he got tased "___ in his closing argument, with the help of FBI Special Agent Stacy Moore, Goldberg re-enacted Farnham’s testimony and proved that Thompson had to be lying down for the Taser marks to be on his chest. If Thompson was getting up as Farnham testified, then the marks would have been on his back."

“We actually have scientific evidence that the defendant is lying,” Goldberg said.

You do your profession no favor with blind locality-A CANCER BY ANY OTHER NAME IS STILL A CANCER-777

02-12-2007, 05:26 AM
another idiot that actually believes what he sees on TV....look mom it's santa. ask the NYCO about getting his ass kicked in walmart parking lot a few years ago for running his **** holster to one of the local thugs......a retired CO and air force *****....woo hoo big ****ing deal, bunch of cry babies

02-15-2007, 05:50 AM
Not sure if you all have heard the latest yet, but apparently the Sheriff is no longer supporting Rick in ref. his legal battle. I guess he got caught up in a lie while on the stand and is now facing perjury charges. I wish him well in his battle and at the same time understand the Sheriff's position if Rick was caught in a lie. Your supervisor should begin to fill everyone in since the Sheriff wants this information put out.

02-22-2007, 04:57 PM
Bonzai

Posted: 02/21/07 10:05:58 Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If what they say is true that Farnham lied on the stand, then tough titty. I wouldnt support him anymore either. I imagine an active ia started and they just waiting to let the axe fall on him.

Dawg

Posted: 02/21/07 14:15:56 Post subject:

I agree, that guy was nothing but a whiner and a walking attitude problem when he was on the road anyway. Its no wonder he got jammed up in the first place.

Posted: 02/21/07 18:33:48 Post subject:

Yep was a walking time bomb......I know some of the Supervisors get a bad rap for being aholes but the ones that dont do their jobs cause the Farnhams of this world to slip through the cracks and make us all look bad,,,,

03-04-2007, 01:27 AM
another idiot that actually believes what he sees on TV....look mom it's santa. ask the NYCO about getting his arse kicked in walmart parking lot a few years ago for running his **** holster to one of the local thugs......a retired CO and air force .....woo hoo big ****ing deal, bunch of cry babies

now that truth has stepped from darkness ,looking back I am reminded of Proverbs 23:2 & 26 :4-5

04-23-2007, 10:02 PM
Published - April, 23, 2007

Jail time for ex-Pinellas deputy
A former Pinellas County sheriff’s deputy was sentenced this morning to a year in federal prison for using a Taser and repeatedly kicking a Navarre man in the aftermath of Hurricane Ivan.

Judge Roger Vinson sentenced Richard G. Farnham to the maximum sentence allowed by statute and ordered Farnham to pay $2,382 in restitution to Daniel Thompson, 56, a former New York City police captain.

Vinson denied restitution for attorney’s fees and money Thompson spent on bond after he was arrested.

A 12-member jury convicted Farnham in February of violating Thompson’s civil rights by using unreasonable force not resulting in bodily injury, a misdemeanor.

Vinson ordered Farnham to surrender to federal marshals in Tampa, or to the federal prison where he will serve his time, by May 29.

04-24-2007, 03:00 PM
You guys better hope it's a quiet hurricane season. I believe it's going to be very hard to get anyone to help you now, in fear that we might get arrested for doing our jobs. You can all thank the asshole RETIRED CORRECTIONS CAPTAIN for that. One of ours is now doing 12 months for some bullshit misdemeanor charge. The man is lucky he wasn't shot. I hope your happy Captain and I hope the next hurricane takes your house off it's foundation. :evil:

04-25-2007, 02:42 PM
Published - April, 25, 2007

Farnham's sentence appropriate for the crime
The sentence handed down in federal court Monday in the conviction of a former Pinellas County deputy for using unreasonable force was appropriate.

Someone convicted of breaking the law deserves no special consideration at sentencing just because they wear a uniform.

If anything, it should be just the opposite.

Law enforcement officers carry a special responsibility to act in the interest of justice. In doing so they can put themselves at risk -- but they also are granted great leeway to use force, even deadly force, and to at least temporarily abrogate the rights of citizens.

When they break the law, they should pay the price like any other person convicted of breaking the law. Especially because citizens who have been abused by law enforcement have nowhere to turn but the courts.

Certainly, courts and juries must be careful in convicting an officer who maintains he was acting within the law and to protect his own safety.

But the story told by former Pinellas County Deputy Richard G. Farnham simply didn't hold up in court. U.S. District Judge Roger Vinson found Farnham's actions so egregious that he rebuffed defense pleas for an easier sentence.

What can't be ignored is that the victim was highly credible, as was another resident who was involved. The victim is a former New York corrections captain, Daniel Thompson, with 20 years of law enforcement experience; the other man is a retired Air Force colonel.

But protecting our most vulnerable citizens is one important reason that rogue law officers must be held to account.

Circumstances also played a part. It was four days after Hurricane Ivan had devastated their neighborhood, and Thompson and retired Col. Ed Knowling were concerned about protecting their homes from looters.

So Farnham picked on a victim who came into court with real credibility. According to the testimony, Farnham stunned Thompson with a Taser without justification, and then kicked him repeatedly while he was on the ground.

Thompson -- and all of us who depend on law enforcement -- deserved more from Farnham, and the sentence makes that clear.

Article Comments

Add Comment | View All Comments

Reader Comment Wed Apr 25, 2007 4:59 am
But why did the U S Attorney have to step in ? Why didn't our own State's Attorney , Bill Eddins, do his job and indict/charge Farnham ? Eddins' office was certainly aware of the problem; they reviewed and dropped the charges on the victims of this police attack, and the victims attempted to file charges on the officers, but Eddins (through ASA John Molchan) turned a deaf ear . Why ?

Eddins has had numerous instances of police excessive force in Escambia County pass through his office and has repeatedly ignored the crimes for political reasons. Farnham was the second case in this Circuit. Charles Dix had already been charged by the U S Attorney for his violent attack on a witness. Eddins is now (allegedly) prosecuting James Sullivan for his attacks on citizens, but has stalled the case for over a year. Why ? More political maneuvering from a weak SAO who has re-election fears ? I think so, and the public is suffering the consequences.
Posted by: listposter
US Attorney Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:24 am
If I had to guess, and that's what this is, I'd say the reason the US Atty got involved was because Farnham was accused of a federal crime.
Posted by: piratecafe
Reader Comment Wed Apr 25, 2007 7:46 am
I believe, and I think that the news stories will substantiate this, that the U S Attorney was contacted because Eddins refused to press the State charge, the same one that he is now using on Coad, now that it is politically expedient and he has seen which way the wind is blowing in public opinion.
Posted by: listposter
Story tools
Text Size:

Print Email story Bookmark
Discuss Subscribe Request photo

05-06-2007, 07:41 PM
Do not forget to post the information in regard to the Rick Farnum fund. Although there are some arzholes who believe Rick was treated fairly ( until this happens to them ) I believe he was unjustly prosecuted. Lets get the ball rolling.

Deputydawg

Posted: 05/04/07 15:05:58 Post subject:

screw farnham he cashed out his retirement fund and gotlike 80k..donate this!!!!!!!!

DONATION TO MY REP

Posted: 05/06/07 07:48:20 Post subject:

YOUR KIDDING HERE...RIGHT...THIS GUY CRAPPED ON THIS UNIFORM AND THIS AGENCY...... AND OH BY THE WAY GIVEN LEGAL REP COURTESY OF COATS AND TAXPAYERS......NAME ANOTHER GRUNT THAT HAS EVER HAD THIS DONE.......THIS GUY WAS A LOSER THAT DUG HIS OWN CAREER GRAVE....

05-07-2007, 05:23 PM
Deputy Dawg, you are right on the money, no pun intended. Going back to the original incident, a prosecuter who is defendant friendly, nol prossed the original charges against the idiots who were running around with shotguns. They were "prominent" citizens. Whatever, there is no such thing as a prominent citizen that waves a shotgun in nonlife threatening situations. It's called stupidity. They wanted to be "heroes." There is no such thing as a hero that waves a shotgun in a non-life threatening situation. It's called stupidity. Then they had the damn gall to not comply with the deputies. It's not gall, it's stupidity. Then Mr. Nol Pross JM drops the charges. That' stupidity. Farnham was found guilty by a so-called prosecuter that wanted to make a name for himself. Wait and see for that same shyster lawyer to become a defense attorney.

05-09-2007, 11:12 PM
You know Pinellas County S.O. was not the Only law Enforcement Agency in Santa Rosa County at the time.I belive Manatee County was here and handled themselves in a very professional,dignified way and were eager to assist the people of our county.The deputies who assisted at the beach in their truck and four wheeler with water and transportation were great.

02-21-2008, 10:18 PM
You know Pinellas County S.O. was not the Only law Enforcement Agency in Santa Rosa County at the time.I belive Manatee County was here and handled themselves in a very professional,dignified way and were eager to assist the people of our county.The deputies who assisted at the beach in their truck and four wheeler with water and transportation were great.

No One Cares (AGAIN)

Posted: 02/21/08 15:16:14 Post subject:

He lied (FACT), he lost (FACT), he is a convict (FACT). No one cares. And MOD WTF, why was my post taken away? I didnt name him and I stated facts. Or maybe you arent aware that Farnham was indicted in federal court for civil rights violations and convicted in part due to him committing perjury on the stand. You have a problem with that or do wish to protect a convict who is federal prison? Cuz if thats the case then you can go . yourself you censoring nazi.

Posted: 02/21/08 15:56:02 Post subject:

Guest 53 wrote:
Hey guy's I heard Rick is going to a half way house in May.He will be released a month later. He is looking forward to seeing you guys!He will be hoping to get back on one of the area dept's.

Oh, o.k. Are any of the "area depts" gonna allow him to make an arrest because he'll make such a great witness...

02-22-2008, 02:04 AM

No One Cares (AGAIN)

He lied (FACT), he lost (FACT), he is a convict (FACT). No one cares. And MOD WTF, why was my post taken away? I didnt name him and I stated facts. Or maybe you arent aware that Farnham was indicted in federal court for civil rights violations and convicted in part due to him committing perjury on the stand. You have a problem with that or do wish to protect a convict who is federal prison? Cuz if thats the case then you can go . yourself you censoring nazi.

Guest 53 wrote:
Hey guy's I heard Rick is going to a half way house in May.He will be released a month later. He is looking forward to seeing you guys!He will be hoping to get back on one of the area dept's.

Oh, o.k. Are any of the "area depts" gonna allow him to make an arrest because he'll make such a great witness...

(AGAIN)

02-23-2008, 03:33 AM
[quote=Guest12]You know Pinellas County S.O. was not the Only law Enforcement Agency in Santa Rosa County at the time.I belive Manatee County was here and handled themselves in a very professional,dignified way and were eager to assist the people of our county.The deputies who assisted at the beach in their truck and four wheeler with water and transportation were great.

No One Cares (AGAIN)

Go Farnham wrote:
Farnham got bullied by the D.O.J and had a nobody attorney giving him advise (Car2). Haaaaaaaaaa

Car2 was just one of his lawyers dumby. Did Car2 tell him to lie on the stand too?????

Guest 53 wrote:

(AGAIN)

He lied (FACT), he lost (FACT), he is a convict (FACT). No one cares. And MOD WTF, why was my post taken away? I didnt name him and I stated facts. Or maybe you arent aware that Farnham was indicted in federal court for civil rights violations and convicted in part due to him committing perjury on the stand. You have a problem with that or do wish to protect a convict who is federal prison? Cuz if thats the case then you can go . yourself you censoring nazi.[/quote:bs7zwqq5]

04-09-2008, 03:33 AM
The whole mess might have been avoided if Rick was not Rick. Come on, anyone who worked with him had to see what I mean. He was a mess. Having said that, He could have acted more like a cop just doing his job, helping out another county in tough times, but instead he chose to let his true personality shine through. I feel bad for him, jail time, not ever being a cop again, just can't help but feel sorry for what he went through. But we are our own worst enemies. That's what did Rick in. My prayers are out to him and the tough times ahead if he doesn't change.

04-09-2008, 01:33 PM
monkeyboat

Posted: 03/26/08 08:02:15 Post subject:

Keep lying, you want to know why he was not charged with perjury? He testified that he was ordered to lie by a PCSD Sgt and Lt. Then under cross exam he said that a certain Sgt. said the order came from SRCSD to the PCSD. So, do they also go after all these bosses? If you want to read it go to the federal docket it will only cost you $2.40. Or you could ask car 2 he heard it all. Remember Rick wanted car 2 as a lawyer! I am sure car 2 was dumb founded by his clients testimony.

04-10-2008, 04:36 AM
You are approaching the truth .THIS ONLY THE BEGINING ! Stay tuned!"A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes. "
Mark Twain

05-22-2008, 03:39 AM
You are approaching the truth .THIS ONLY THE BEGINING ! Stay tuned!"A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes. "
Mark Twain

I get the feeling some of the issues/discussions are being addressed in "Otis' Civil Suits"

06-22-2008, 03:20 PM
Farnham got out of Federal Prison last Friday! He is now on a 1year probation. We are starting a pool to see what month he will violate probation. Want to get in the pool?

06-22-2008, 03:42 PM
Farnham got out of Federal Prison last Friday! He is now on a 1year probation. We are starting a pool to see what month he will violate probation. Want to get in the pool?

Your stupid!!!

06-24-2008, 08:19 PM
Ya this whole thread is stupid. it happened in 2004. Get over it. Case Closed. 10-87

06-24-2008, 09:08 PM
Ya this whole thread is stupid. it happened in 2004. Get over it. Case Closed. 10-87

Not quite.AS long as we have the attitute reflected in "LEO & Brothers ' Where we think because we are a LEO ,we & our family are entitle to special treatment . When we took our oath , did it say except for LEOs ?We don’t have two systems ; one for us ( fraternity of brothers(LEOs)) & one for everybody else.This represents an attitude that implies we are above the law.A dangerous road to travel ;just ask farnham & the folks (LEOs) who covered up his actions.It won't be over until justice is done & todate, JUSTICE hasn’t closed this chaper !