PDA

View Full Version : Giving Times after each transmission

11-15-2006, 07:50 PM
Our Agency has decided that we are to give the time after each transmission. Does anyone have any real benefits for this? Does anyone like giving the times? Do officers really pay attention to the time? Just curious :? :? :? :?

11-15-2006, 10:15 PM
I dispatch for a small town. We have to end each transmission with the time. I think its helpful to show response times and such when the tapes are pulled for court cases and whatever else they may be needed for.

11-16-2006, 01:20 AM
When you give the time after your transmission, it lets the unit know that you heard and understood what he (she) wants and/or said. Another benefit is when you are making a tape of the transmission, it's a lot easier to find what you are looking for if you know what time you are listening for.

08-14-2007, 05:53 AM
Also, unlike a VCR which time codes at it records, radio transmissions are just what you hear. There is no computer control track timing for the recordings. So, if the call is dispatched at 1533, the unit arrives at 1545, and the shots start at 1546, the court as well as Internal Affairs has a clue of how much time elapsed between transmissions. Hope that helps.

08-22-2007, 05:06 PM
Yes, I agree. I was trained to give out the time after each finished transmission and it worked great. The place I am at now is not use to it but I still do it because it makes sense. It's not that bad once you do it for a while.

08-23-2007, 05:21 PM
It might work out good, but is really a waste of air time when you have steady radio traffic and something going down. I agree with the time when it is slow and routine traffic, but during high incidents it is best for everyone to stay off the air and keep it as brief as possible, other than giving the time every few transmissions for documentation. Next thing you know, they will expect us to give the time, including seconds. Too much in my opinion when the units on the road need that airtime.

09-01-2007, 04:15 PM
its often used to replace the 10 code at the end of the transmission

Instead of saying ten twenty six to acknowledge the received message...

you say twenty three eighteen

during the ten hundred hour just have to remember to say ten twenty four HOURS... for obvious reasons

09-03-2007, 02:27 PM
It's helps when played in court. It establishes time frames. It also assists many, many times in investigating calls.

12-06-2007, 12:35 AM
It's helps when played in court. It establishes time frames. It also assists many, many times in investigating calls.

just do what they say and shut up!

12-07-2007, 06:43 AM
it might work out good, but is really a waste of air time when you have steady radio traffic
How much time do you really waste by saying t04, 2230 hrs...make it a part of your routine and the next time a recording is subpoenaed you won't have to explain why you didn't give the time...it is your job!