PDA

View Full Version : CJSTC

11-15-2006, 12:40 AM
Once again I noticed in the new CJST meeting agenda there is no fundamental move to improve CPO training. A few facts:

- Basic recruit funding has gone to CMS law enforcement training, one of the biggest boondoggles in the history of training. It’s long on paper and short on training improvement. Only four short years after implementation, they have to form a study group to make fundamental improvements? What’s the cost here in terms of dollars? In point of fact, what was the cost in terms of dollars to develop and implement this disaster? FDLE training isn’t talking. Ask them. They won’t tell you.
- Notice how it is “Traditional Correctional or Correctional Probation Officer Basic Recruit” and not “CMS Correctional or Correctional Probation Officer Basic Recruit”? What does the FDLE mission statement say they are responsible for?
- The current CJSTC certification exam for Probation Officers is so overly broad as to be fundamentally meaningless. That’s because year after year during their exam reviews, probation officers point to questions that no longer apply. After 10 plus years of this, it’s no wonder that they have a 96% pass rate.
- Cross over training from CPO to CMS Law Enforcement is almost the hourly equivalent to attending the entire CMS Law Enforcement Academy, never mind that CPO’s are now required to conduct arrests and searches independent of Law Enforcement.
- CPO”s are operating with absolutely no training in the conduct of arrests and or searches. FDLE is aware of this and so is DOC.

If this is not deliberate indifference, then I don’t know what is. In any future officer law suit, I certainly hope FDLE is prominently listed as a defendant.

11-17-2006, 01:13 AM
sounds like a cpo cop wannabe to me.

12-13-2006, 04:12 AM
sounds like a cpo cop wannabe to me.

What is it about idiots like the above. We all have roles to play. And that is the basic problem. The role of the probation officer is part social worker, part law enforcement. It's an animal that only exists in theory.

The legislature has given law enforcement powers to the Probation Officer. LEO's are expecting the DOC to use those powers. I can hardly fault them. Why should Probation Officers with the powers of arrest push the LEO up front and say, "You first?". If I were an LEO, I certainly would skeptically look at you and reply, "Kiss my a--.", or at a minimum be slow to respond.

It is FDLE that is responsible for insuring that the DOC can do what is mandated by the legislature. It's right in the damn FDLE mission statement.

Look. If there is some chest thumping that prohibits LEO's from recognizing the law enforcement function of probation officers, fine. But it ain't in my opinion a chest thumping issue. It's a money issue. The CJSTC is and has always been, stacked with LEO's. They see the amount of dollars being spent on the Correctional side, and they resent it. Probably with good reason.

Why can't folks understand that the way training is funded for law enforcement (and I include corrections in this) is fundamentally wrong. You have a bunch of commisioners that get used to going to some of the best resorts in Florida, all expenses paid, to listen to an agenda that is estabished by a biased agency. Training should be funded based on operational need.

Geeze.

01-01-2007, 02:07 PM
[
-Basic recruit funding has gone to CMS law enforcement training, one of the biggest boondoggles in the history of training. ]

I am a FTO and have now had the toughest time in my 20 year career training new recruits. I want to tell you who ever thought this CMS would work is WRONG! My last two recruits did not have a clue how to look up a statute or even know the elements of a crime. Come on- what is the problem here? It does not take a brain child to know that this system sucks and a failure! I agree 110% with the quote above.

Signed: FTO

06-05-2007, 01:16 AM
First of all, the FTO who claimed that the last 2 recruits he had didn't even know how to look up a statute or the elements of a crime, should know that they must have had VERY BAD and LAZY instructors. One recruit complained to the commission that we (instructors) couldn't make the student "look up" or read anything the night before we go over it without giving them some kind of COMPENSATION! Of course it was denied and we were allowed to continue the required reading. So here's a TYPICAL day of instruction in my world (well, an example): Okay students, we will be handling burglary scenarios tomorrow, I want to read FL Statute....And the first thing I would ask them in the morning is, "Okay, what is a burglary?", "What are the elements of a burglary?", "Do we actually have a burglary in this scenario?" (Of course one scenario would be yes, the other no), etc. SO, if your recruits couldn't look up statutes or elements of crimes, who's fault is that really??? CMS Instruction??? What about all the "What if" scenarios provided??? Did they not listen to ANYTHING that was taught!!!????? Just wanted to defend some of us who like the CMS format and it's flexibility to include so much student involvement.

07-19-2007, 10:29 AM
The problem with is with this democratic society that has allowed approximately 17,000 different law enforcement agencies and no direction. We need one agency with many subdivisions and thats it. Too many jurisdiction problems and too many legal crap. You either arrest or you don't, you convict or you don't. This country is little by little unraveling themselves.