PDA

View Full Version : 11.5 hr shifts

11-06-2006, 01:22 AM
Dear Chief:

Even if a certain someone gives you a headache, thank you for trying.

Sincerely,

The other 90% of patrol.

11-06-2006, 11:25 AM
Let me get this straight. There are a select few that are against it, supposedly our FOP President. At what point does this become what's best for the body vs. personal preference?

If the contract is worded where we are limited to our current schedule, then we have a couple weeks before the new contract goes to the city for approval.

Why can't the body, who appears to mainly be in favor of trying a new schedule, demand that our FOP amend our contract to include this type of schedule?

If a majority is against it, ok. But it's really not fair if only a small number are. Our FOP needs to look out for everyone's interest. Not a personal opinion.

11-06-2006, 01:22 PM
Since we ratified the contract with our vote, we cannot reopen it to amend or alter it. Thats just the rules....actually read the last article of our contract....it specifically addresses it.
Secondly, read the article about hours of work in the contract. The city and Chief have the authority to amend the contract for work hours only. Not only changing the numbe rof days worked but the hours too. They can do this without the FOP's approval and we have no recourse if they do that, ie: no grievance, no renegotiating, no unfair labor suits with PERC. The only thing the city has to do is schedule a meeting with the FOP to hear our concerns but that meeting is non binding
Lets put blame not on Mike but with Administration. If I remember correctly, the labor board did ask the adm about an alternate work schedule and they said theyd think about it.

Soooo......its really NOT a contract issue but a adm issue. Its up to them if they really want to implement this rumor of an alternate works schedule

11-06-2006, 09:17 PM
There are two sides always. Unfortunately, rumors get floated around and fingers get pointed. Rumor on Friday was that the 11.5 might be dead because a certain FOP officer pointed out that it WAS a violation of the contract and would be grieved.

Maybe that never took place and maybe it is a rumor.

I wish there would be more communications on what is going on. I also know there are some people that are against the 11.5, but then again, I know alot that want to give it a try.

IF the administration is interested and it's not in any violation of the contract, then I hope they will give it a shot with the majority of what people want being the deciding factor.

11-07-2006, 05:09 PM
Hey everyone who is in support of the alternative work schedule...Bring it up at the FOP meeting...Say something to Deleo in the hall about how is would be great for road patrol!! The executive board will have to address the issue if people bring it up :twisted:

11-08-2006, 12:27 AM
Your contract says we work a forty hour work week. The Chief does have the discretion to adjust that, but must remain in the forty hour work schedule.

So the very small group that does not want to even try a new schedule will get their way.

I say give it a try, then vote again next year and see if we want to keep it.

11-09-2006, 03:42 AM
Do we have enough staffing on the road to cover 11.5 hour shifts? Has this been worked out to see if it is feasible? What would the shifts be?
How would you work the days on/off? Rotating 4 on/3 off then 3 off/4 on? There has to be 80 hours worked in the pay period, so would over-time be automatically added in? Is there a pay period that is short 80 hours? Can someone please explain how this works.
Thanks

11-09-2006, 05:00 AM
"Rumor" is that the plan administration is considering consists of two sets of days off, either S/M/T or TH/F/S. Everyone also gets every other Weds off, so one week you work 4 days and are off 3 and then the next week you work 3 days and are off 4. This gives you 182 days off per year compared with 104 we currently have under the 5/2. There are two shifts, bravo and alpha most likely with starting times of 6a and 7a and 6p and 7p. This results in an 80.5 hour pay period so they would have to pay a half hour of overtime per paycheck. If it is seriously being considered by administration we will find out within the next few weeks when road patrol bids for 2007.

11-09-2006, 05:42 AM
In lieu of 1/2 hour overtime per paycheck, do you think changing it to comp time offered might make this more palatable for the city?

11-09-2006, 02:12 PM
It would cost them less at first but end up costing them more in the long run.

In lieu of 1/2 hour overtime per paycheck, do you think changing it to comp time offered might make this more palatable for the city?

11-09-2006, 02:29 PM
It would cost them less at first but end up costing them more in the long run.

How is that?

11-09-2006, 08:39 PM
Here's an idea, those that want to work more than 8 hours can go to a dept that offers it!!!!!!

11-10-2006, 03:10 PM
Yeah thats what I want to do is spend more then eight hours here

11-11-2006, 01:02 AM
I ponder if there is a way to make almost everyone happy. Obviously the majority of those who don't want the 12 hour shifts are bravo people. Maybe we can make a plan that keeps them on eights while the rest on 10 or 12's. FLPD did it for a while by district. Probably be tricky though...

11-11-2006, 01:53 PM
I ponder if there is a way to make almost everyone happy. Obviously the majority of those who don't want the 12 hour shifts are bravo people. Maybe we can make a plan that keeps them on eights while the rest on 10 or 12's. FLPD did it for a while by district. Probably be tricky though...

There is no way to make everyone happy here
We got a good contract, we got a new building, everyone has a car, new cars have been ordered, were getting new radios, trailer park is gone, state road 7 is cleaning up......goodness people
As far as 11.5 hr shifts, if everyone was soooo concerned, how come hardly anyone brought it up at the FOP meeting....thats your forum people
Use it, its yours, you dont like something change it.......the voters just did it to Congress

11-11-2006, 03:32 PM

The issue is whether or not there will be enough staffing to stay with the current schedule. A lot of people are (or say they are) leaving. I submitted a hybrid plan ALTERNATE 4 / 10 HOUR SHIFTS / 3 / 12 1/4 HOUR SHIFTS
If you have a plan, submit one. The Admin. has to carefully examine any plan and determine how it will affect court O.T., contractural issues, labor laws etc., but maintaining adequate staffing is paramount.

11-21-2006, 09:57 PM
So where do we stand now with the 11.5 hour shift proposal. Shift bids are upon us and there is no signs anywhere of the administration considering the new shift.

11-22-2006, 03:21 AM
Stop worrying about it, its done! no hourly change unless we re-open the contract which is not going to happen. if you want to work long hours go elsewhere

11-22-2006, 08:49 PM
Stop worrying about it, its done! no hourly change unless we re-open the contract which is not going to happen. if you want to work long hours go elsewhere
WE HAVE SPOKEN, ANYTHING MORE THAN 8 HOURS WON'T FLY