PDA

View Full Version : Why I am voting yes

10-27-2006, 02:55 AM
I will be voting yes for the following reasons

1) The 17 percent raise is a good number. Would I have like it to be more? Of course, but it is the biggest 3 year total since I have been here so I feel it is a good number.

2) Raising the multiplier to 3.5. I am not happy about the delay, but after Mike explained it I understand that to get it the delay was unavoidable. This was a must for the city. I totally feel bad for the people it effects, I wish there was a way to help them, but I don't know what the answer is.

3) COLA 1.5% While not the best. When taking into account the 17%, 3.5 multiplier, keeping the supplements, and a COLA ALL IN THE SAME CONTRACT it is a good starting point. Again I feel bad for the people who don't want to wait until 2008 to get this benefit. My answer is STAY, and get the benefit. You get a 7% raise the first year, a 5 % raise the second year, with a 3.5 multiplier IN 2007, and a COLA on Oct. 1 2008. It is less than 2 years, Again I say STAY!!!

4) What if we vote it down? Well we will probably get a 3% bump, a pat on the head, and a "lets get back to work and work this out". Soon. Impasse=contract imposed on us.

Now don't get me wrong I would like to see everyone happy, but it is near impossable. Everyone has different plans, and the city has their plan. Which is very different than any Police Officer here.

So this is why I am voting YES. I feel that this is a good contract. I hope the comments are constructive, and not well screw you. You are getting everything, because I know it could be anyone of us in the get nothing boat. I just feel that there is no solution to make everyone happy.

10-27-2006, 11:27 PM
If you guys have been getting by with what you have now a 17% raise over 3 years is outstanding. Check out all the people losing their jobs.... I'm sure they would want to punch you in your face for thinking you are getting the shaft.

10-30-2006, 12:07 AM
Great Post!!!!!!!!

10-30-2006, 02:52 AM
I'm satisfied with what we are getting and voted yes. Sure, I would have liked to gotten a higher percentage, but I blame that on us not getting what we deserved three years ago and now we have to play catch up.

1.5% COLA is a start. Sure it's lower than everyone else, but we are keeping our supplementals that start immediately when you leave.

Not too bad and perhaps the next contract we can fight for a higher COLA and perhaps full medical compensation upon retirement. The full medical will be a battle for sure. Although some cities have it, tree city USA won't want to give that to you! Although when the council voted several years ago on full medical for them, it took only minutes to decide a big YES.

3.5% multiplier isn't bad considering we were lower! Eventually it may get up alittle higher, but right now working almost 23 years isn't too bad for 80%.

If you vote no, we will have a contract imposed on us with a small raise and then be battling a year later for something else that will never come from this city. Care about you and your families.

What we got, our labor board fought hard for. Let's take it now and close the gap so we can stop playing "watch our neighbors make good money and play catch up to them."