PDA

View Full Version : BROTHERS AND SISTERS

10-20-2006, 08:06 PM
IN THE PAST WE HAVE VOTED IN CONTRACTS THAT GAVE US 0%, 2%, ETC. WE VOTED IT IN BECAUSE THE COST OF LIVING WAS NOT HIGH, AND WE UNDERSTOOD THAT THE CITY DID NOT HAVE MONEY. WE WERE FAIR!

HOWEVER, WE ARE LIVING IN DIFFERENT TIMES. EVERYTHING HAS GONE UP, AND WE KNOW THAT THE CITY HAS MONEY. THE CHIEF TOLD US THAT THE CITY HAS MONEY AND OUR P.B.A. PRESIDENT HAS TOLD US THAT THE CITY HAS MONEY. SO IT IS TIME FOR THE CITY TO BE FAIR TO US!

WE HAVE WORKED EXTRA HARD THE PAST FEW YEARS, WHICH RESULTED IN A MAJOR CRIME REDUCTION IN THIS CITY. CERTAIN PEOPLE GOT BONUSES FOR CRIME REDUCTION, BUT WE WERE THE ONES THAT DID THE DIRTY WORK, AND WERE IN THE LINE OF FIRE. IT WAS NOT LONG AGO THAT GRECO GAVE THE FIRE DEPARTMENT A 6-6-6 CONTRACT. WE THINK WE SHOULD GET THE SAME!

WE LEAVE OUR HOMES EVERYDAY NOT KNOWING IF WE WILL SEE OUR FAMILIES AGAIN. WE GO TO WORK, GET HURT WHEN WE HAVE TO FIGHT SCUM BAGS THAT DON'T WANT TO GO TO JAIL, GET EXPOSED TO INFECTIOUS DISEASES, GET SHOT AT, WORK HOLIDAYS AND ADVERSE SHIFTS.

AFTER WORKING OUR 11.5 HOUR SHIFT WE SOMETIMES HAVE TO SPEND SEVERAL HOURS IN COURT. THEN GO HOME GET 3 OR 4 HOURS OF SLEEP, IF WE ARE LUCKY, AND THEN DO IT ALL OVER AGAIN. THE LIST GOES ON AND ON OF THE SACRIFICES THAT WE AND OUR FAMILIES MAKE.

I LOVE THIS JOB AND WOULD NOT TRADE IT FOR ANY OTHER JOB. I LOVE HELPING THE COMMUNITY, AND FIGHTING CRIME, BUT IS IT WRONG OF US TO ASK TO BE TREATED FAIR DURING OUR CAREER AND WHEN WE RETIRE? IS IT FAIR THAT WE MAKE ALL THESE SACRIFICIES DURING OUR TENURE, THEN RETIRE, AND HAVE TO CONTINUE TO WORK IN ORDER TO PAY ALMOST 1K A MONTH FOR HEALTH INSURANCE. IS IT SO WRONG FOR US TO ASK FOR AFFORDABLE HEALTH INSURANCE, AFTER ALL WE ARE NOT EXPECTED TO LIVE THAT LONG AFTER RETIREMENT!

" the life expectancy for a police officer is 15 years less than the average American, and nationally, 50% of all police officers will die from heart disease within five years of retirement".

"The law enforcement profession is becoming more complex and stressful as we enter the 21st century. Solid research has shown the life expectancy, after retirement, of a police officer is much shorter than that of the the general population. The suicide rate, divorce rate, and a host of other health related issues, including alcohol abuse, is much higher for police officers than the current national averages. The reasons for these problems are many, complex and varied. Unique occupational stresses: shift work, sleep deprivation, critical incident exposure, cumulative and organizational stress, and leadership issues all play a part. Lack of proper diet and exercise coupled with the many stresses of the job is a disasterous recipe often ending in premature death, or a life which, at best, may be categorized as "non-wellness". Family issues also play a major role in the overall health and wellbeing of a law enforcement officer. The attitude, health and emotional stability of the law enforcement officer affects the harmony, or lack of harmony, in an officer's home. Children, spouses and significant others are all victims of crippling job stress."

WELL, I CAN GO ON, BUT I THINK THAT I HAVE TOUCHED ON SOME OF THE MAIN ISSUE THAT CAUSED THIS CONTRACT TO BE VOTED DOWN BY THE MEMBERSHIP. ALL WE WANT IS TO BE TREATED RIGHT AND FAIR.

AND FOR THE CITIZENS THAT MIGHT READ THIS, REST ASSURED THAT WE WILL CONTINUE TO FIGHT CRIME AND KEEP YOU SAFE. WE TOOK AN OATH TO DO THAT, AND NOTHING IS GOING TO CHANGE IT!