PDA

View Full Version : Promotions & Demotions

10-19-2006, 11:13 PM
I am a local business owner & taxpayer and I recently heard a story that troubled me quite a bit. I was told that an officer with more than 20 years military and law enforcement experience (who held the rank of Detective) was demoted back to patrol status. Normally this would not concern me, but the reason and the qualifications of the replacement did. I was told the reason for the demotion was "so every officer could get experience at the Detective position". And I was told the replacement is a former detention guard with less than three years patrol experience. And is Steve Spina aware of situation?

Now with the recent rash of burglaries, which I'm sure can be attributed to the local rise in drug use & sales. It would seem to me that a chief would want the most qualified to hold the position, not take turns like kids at a birthday party waiting on a pony ride. It makes myself and others wonder if there are underlying reasons for the demotion.

Can anyone with first hand knowledge confirm or deny this almost unbelievable story?

Thank you for your service and be safe.

10-20-2006, 03:49 AM
I agree, Steve Spina knows more than you may think with the exception of the officers vacation time.... which by the way I believe he okays the vacation time. Let me see ... what I meant was Steve Spina knows about alot of the crap and backstabbing that goes on, he must think we are stupid if we think he doesnt. I believe Steve Spina does what the Chief says instead of doing the right thing. Somebody (more than one person) needs to confront Steve about this and all the other posts as well. I wonder what Zephyrhills citizens would think about what our police officers deal with just at the station.... Listen Steve Spina can help these officers 100% he chooses not to maybe some one should run for city commissioner. I would do it in a heart beat but I dont live in the city limits. I believe that if you are qualified for a position then there is a chance for you to get it, but to demote someone just because they want someone else to get experience is rediculous, please I dang sure dont want a janitor at a hospital reading my xrays because someone feels he needs experience in radiology because he works at the hospital...

10-20-2006, 07:06 PM
You're not a concerned citizen, you're a puppet who was asked to further someone elses agenda. Everbody knows that the detective sent back to patrol has many many contacts and has convinced many of the business owners and simple minded citizens that he is Gods gift to LE.
I think you should find another bandwagon to jump on, Mr. Business Owner & Taxpayer, and get your facts straight before you decide to comment on this site.
This detective hasn't been replaced yet and the replacement you are referring to worked along side of this detective. Even with only detention and 3 year patrol experience, he's doing a better job and without insubordination issues.
The guy who did all those burglaries was caught,interviewed & charged and not by your puppeteer and thats all you need to know. You want more info, go read the arrest affidavits and get your facts straight.
Finally, it isn't a demotion. Detective is a lateral transfer, not a promotion, so again your bandwagoneer mentality is incorrect.
This story is only "unbelievable" to you because you have a PERSONAL interest in this person (i.e. family, family friend).
Unfortunately for you, this site doesn't dictate how the department runs.
Find something else to stick your nose in.

10-20-2006, 09:53 PM
Looks like someone hit a nerve, You dont know maybe they are a concerned citizen. Maybe this concerned citizen does have a personal interest so what, you let him know more facts on the info, it was just an opinion thats all get a freggin' gripp. Guess you had personal issues with the non demoted detective hmmmmm. Speaking of puppets looks like you are a puppet too!!!

10-20-2006, 10:50 PM
Hey Hollywood is that You?

10-21-2006, 12:02 AM
Instead of looking at this small picture, why don't you look at the big picture.... The friggin Chief! Who's the cause of all our issues at the P.D.?
Why don't you speak up at City Council, Mr. Business Owner? Grow you a set and speak to the council instead of posting on a LEO website.

Mr. Ex-detective grow up and do your job, it's a all around team effort not divisions.

10-21-2006, 02:26 PM
Again we have to take sides and the Chief and the City Manager is right in the middle of the problem. It makes no difference if you like your superiors or not. We are never going to see eye to eye with management, just by our stature within the chain. The question is are you going to follow lawful commands and concur with the decisions of your leadership? If you have that many issues with the rank and file, there are many other agencies that you can apply to. Oh! I forgot they have superior officers that give orders also. SORRY!!! It really doesn’t matter who runs the Department, many of the officers’ act independently regardless of SOP or Rules and Regulations. Let’s stop blaming the administration and just do a professional service to the community; we are our own worst enemies.

As far as the “Detention Guard” is concerned, if you had any experience in law enforcement, you would realize that one “ State Certified Law Enforcement Correction Officer” controls, at times 150 inmates is in itself an admirable feat. I ‘d like to see our local business owner and tax payer or our disenchanted officer stand in the middle of a compound alone and control a group of hardened felony offenders, doing time and not caring what happens because they are doing 15 to life anyway. No firearm, no back up, only the guts to do a thankless job. What a “Detention Guard” learns about the criminal personality is priceless as far as gaining insight to the criminal mind and experoence. Maybe you should visit a prison like Zephyrhills, to observe firsthand what transpires with psychopathic personalities.
This “Correction Officer” does not violate the suspect’s rights, notifies a suspect when he or she is being recorded and advises the suspect of his rights under Miranda, unlike the other person depicted. He does and excellent job and is a credit to the division.

Let’s talk about 20 years military and law enforcement, if you count 15 tears as a private investigator, maybe we could stretch it to 20 years. This disgruntled employee has attended two 40-hour classes in the last two years. Some patrolman has attended more classes than he did.

An officer that is always right and has more confrontations with the State Attorney’s Office than any other officer. Assistant State Attorneys that state that if they find out the he is going to have an invest; they want to take the day off, an officer that won’t follow direct orders from his superiors, because he know more than they do. Get rid of the complex and do your job. Stop having you wife or your mommy, write Leo Affairs as concerned business owners and taxpayers. You have alienated most of the members of the Department who sincerely attempted to be your comrade, just by you attitude alone.
You are the only person that can make this attitude adjustment, please do it, for every ones’ sake.

May Saint Michael watch over all of us.

10-22-2006, 03:05 PM
This is why I love these posts.

“As far as the “Detention Guard” is concerned, if you had any experience in law enforcement, you would realize that one “ State Certified Law Enforcement Correction Officer” controls, at times 150 inmates is in itself an admirable feat. I ‘d like to see our local business owner and tax payer or our disenchanted officer stand in the middle of a compound alone and control a group of hardened felony offenders, doing time and not caring what happens because they are doing 15 to life anyway. No firearm, no back up, only the guts to do a thankless job.”

Are you delusional? You should really think before you type. My neighbor has worked at the Zephyrhills Correctional Institution for 17 years & I had to help them up off the ground when I showed them this post. Fact is, a single Corrections officer rarely overseas more than 10 inmates & that is on work details. A direct quote from an actual employee of the Institution "we are very well staffed, back-up officers are always close by, sometimes we are falling over each other".

I know these posts are a great deal of BS and chest pumping, but at least try and make it believable.

10-22-2006, 09:18 PM
Alright here you go,

If someone oversees only 10 inmates on a work detail then they don't work at Z.C.I, so nice try. We don't have "work details" here. Those are reserved for the wussies who can't handle working in a real prison. Our smallest dorm holds 70 with 1 officer working it. We have three that size. Our second largest holds 150 with two floors and only 2 officers working. Our largest dorm holds about 140 plus with a Sgt and one officer plus confinement unit holding about 20-50 depending on the week. Only 1 Sgt and 1 Officer work that unit. Needless to say the people who "only supervise ten inmates or so" are the ones we put on perimeter because we don't want the pieces of crap working with us inside the fence. We won't even get into the fact this is a pschyciatric institution. I've had deputies from other counties come in for transport that won't step foot on our compound because they can't carry their guns or other weapons. I can't say your guys world isn't tough, but come spend a day in mine and maybe you'll learn something. Also the Neighbor you live by... is that the same one who lives in town that got promoted to Sgt after 17 years in a tower and gun truck and never on perimeter???I beat him out for Sgt when I only had three years so try to get a better source.

10-25-2006, 01:57 AM
concerned business owner must have been to the heads up saloon... CAUSE YOU GOT TO BE DRUNK!!