PDA

View Full Version : Trooper speeding ticket and my chances in court..

10-19-2006, 07:21 PM
:( Hello to the local LEO community, I’m a fellow civilian working locally for a governmental federal agency in this area, I'll appreciated guys your educated opinion about what chances if any I would have in court with a traffic attorney representation regarding the below speeding ticket incident:
Driving midlane East bound I-4 near exit 7, right before the top of one of those hills so common in I-4 I decide to quickly change lane from midlane to left lane to avoid a near miss collision with 18 wheeler switching to the midlane, right after I went over the top of the hill where a trooper where, pull over right after, claiming he clock me at 81mph
16 over the limit, Im pretty sure I never went over 75 miles during the all incident, I explain to him both the fact I got to made a quick pass to avoid a collision and I never went over 75 to do this maneuver, he refuse politely any of this telling me again he clock at 81mph, my question is it possible he clock that speed in other car instead of my truck? I got the truck's tag and I will try to have him testify for me in court, Is worthy go to court for this? What about the attempt to avoid a collision? He claim he never saw the 18 wheeler doing anything , I told him of course your position does not allow any visibility beyond that hill or more than 100', he ignore everything and issue his ticket, we both were very politically correct , but I feel this trooper was a bit closed minded to accept an explanation...by the way Im a safe driver clean record Im a nicest guy to pull over, show both my hands to the aproaching officer, turning off my engine etc, Your opinions are welcome....Thank you in advance... :(

10-19-2006, 08:08 PM
Does not matter if the ticket said 81, 90 or 100. The limit is posted at 65 and you admitted to the tropper your were going 75. All the law statute says is that you exceeded the posted speed, which you have admitted to. Many times I have been in court for this same reason, when the judge looks at you like you are crazy and then says Guilty, you admitted to exceeding the speed.

10-21-2006, 03:19 AM
Actually, you've admitted to speeding, following too close and improper lane change. Be thankful you only got one ticket and go to traffic school.

10-21-2006, 12:44 PM
Was the trooper wearing his hat? If not, you can surely get the ticked dismissed in court! Just bring it up to the judge.

10-21-2006, 11:11 PM
"Was the trooper wearing his hat? If not, you can surely get the ticked dismissed in court! Just bring it up to the judge."

Perhaps in some jurisdictions this works, and while it is policy for we troopers to wear them it is not mandated if you present yourself as an officer safety issue. To me the common car contains an armed, wanted felon until proven otherwise. Hat or no hat, it has no bearing as to your violation of the posted maximum.

just another TPA Trooper

10-21-2006, 11:28 PM
"Was the trooper wearing his hat? If not, you can surely get the ticked dismissed in court! Just bring it up to the judge."

Perhaps in some jurisdictions this works, and while it is policy for we troopers to wear them it is not mandated if you present yourself as an officer safety issue. To me the common car contains an armed, wanted felon until proven otherwise. Hat or no hat, it has no bearing as to your violation of the posted maximum.

just another TPA Trooper

I think he was joking as in the old days of the 70's you heard this complaint a lot ini court and many violators thought they could get off. When they would say this you could hear every cop chuckling in the court as you knew what the judge was going to say next.......guilty, complain to a supervisor.

The other myth was if you told the judge you were not going 65 in a 40 zone, but you did look down and saw that you were going 55 when you were being stopped. So many thought that we had to prove the exact speed that we wrote you for.

10-24-2006, 04:16 AM
cops are never there when you need them. All they do is give tickets and get food discounts at every place to eat. They are rediculous.

10-24-2006, 11:48 PM
cops are never there when you need them. All they do is give tickets and get food discounts at every place to eat. They are rediculous.

What is ridiculous is your spelling, inbred. Don't worry about our food discounts. Just pay your tickets and keep your pie hole shut and press hard when you sign. Idiot.

10-25-2006, 09:52 PM

Did you ever wonder why many (not all) restaurants give discounts to police? It isn't because they think the cops are underpaid (which WAS the case when the practice began) or because they particularly LIKE the cops.

It's because the hoods and the crooks tend to avoid the places where they know that cops frequent. The public likes that. The management likes that. The cops like that.

The only people who aren't happy about the cop discount are the hoods and crooks - and jealous creeps like you.

:P

10-26-2006, 03:38 AM
cops are nothing but little punks. i challange any cops to whip my a$$.

10-26-2006, 11:10 AM
Challenge accepted. Next time you see me, just put up your little dukes, and we will see who walks away.