PDA

View Full Version : jail

10-13-2006, 04:43 AM
so in these posts there is alot of talk about the moral and life on the road. can anyone give an insite about life in the jails? Are there schedules the same, 12 hours? Is the moral up there? Do people like the job, or is it mainly disgruntled guys that really want to be on the road? Not to sound harsh but i am not eligible for a road job, i have no college, so i want to start somewhere and i dont mind the jail, but some of the places i looked it seems no one wants to be there and they all hate it, there jsut doing there time before they go to the road. I dont mind going that route, and yes i want to go to the road, but i dont want to be surrounded by miserable people.

10-21-2006, 09:10 PM
I have worked in a jail for 6 years and 6 years in a prison before that. You have to understand that officers in this enviornment will always be down. The officers in this field are exceptional but for the entire shift there is nothing but a negative athmosphere.

The inmates are constinately attempting to do wrong and to catch you in a mistake so you never let your guard down. You always watch your fellow officers back wether you like him or not. YOU NEVER LET AN INMATE GET OVER ON AN OFFICER, NO MATTER WHAT...

You will come to understand the comaraderie between the officers and you will find a trust and friendship that will last over time. In this field you will stand side by side protecting the public and never get a thank you. You will only hear from the public when someone escapes or if an inmate dies in custody. You will never hear a positive when you save an inmates life because you were alert and found a diabetic having a seizure.

At the end of the day it is going to be what you make of the job. I am on the road now and I can honestly say the experiance has been invaluable to me. Communication is the key and not to let your guard down, remember they are trying to catch you with it down.

Stay Safe and good luck with your decision. :D

10-22-2006, 09:49 AM
Excellent advice and response. Thanks for taking the time to share that !!