PDA

View Full Version : Some Advice on Applying

10-13-2006, 04:26 AM
Maybe someone on here can help me, you all seem very very helpful. I am from NJ and 25 years old. I have a Bachelors degreein CJ. For the last 8 years, since i was 18, i worked at a private security company as a field manager. I was in charge of overseeing 50 gated communitys, some with 5 guys on per shift, and also acting as a relations guy doing seminars for the residents on publicsafety, etc etc. Im also an eagle scout, and have NO criminal background, only bad thing in my history is a speeding ticket for 1-9mph over the limit in 1999.

Well my whole family is now in the Fort Myers / Naples area and i am coming down. I do not want to miss out on being a part of the nieces / nephews and when i get married and have kids i want them to know the family and grandparents as well.

SO ENOUGH ABOUT THAT.

I really want to work for an Agency that i can stay at forever and that is very proud and makes you part of the team, not just a badge number. I seem to see that within Collier county. I sent in the pre-app and received a letter today saying i am qualified to interview and go through the process for a road patrol job. It also said that i should strongly consider going through the corrections / jail deputy as well and the letter went on for about 3 large paragraphs about the jail.

Should i take that as a sign that they will not even consider me for the road, or that the chances are slim? I really do not want to work in the jail, i LOVE working with the public and really do not want any part of the jail. What do you think the chance is of the road??? I have heard they will and do send people to the academy for the road. Is that true? Do they hire often, or is my application sitting with another 500 they got this month?

I am definetly going to go through the process because i am very impressed but i am also goign to try Lee county and Fort Myers PD in hopes of going for the road. Anything or any advice anyone can offer me would be great, thanks!

10-13-2006, 07:06 PM
The best street officers in this agency came from the corrections field. It is an invaluable opportunity, and you must view it as just that - an opportunity. Use the time there to get a master's degree, learn spanish and max out on incentive courses. You will not go wrong.

10-16-2006, 04:06 AM
Excellent advice "Guest"! Could not have said it better myself.