PDA

View Full Version : October 10th, 2006 Contract Proposal

10-10-2006, 09:32 PM
Today, the Labor Board met with the city for 3 hours
The city counter proposed to our last offer with the following:
1. Wages - They proposed 16%(7, 5, 4) as oppposed to our proposal of 17%(7, 5, 5)
2. Multipier - City proposed a 3.5%, retro for all years. Would not start until 10/01/2007 and we would have to start contributing 9.5% effective 10/01/06 (We proposed the same but effective immediatley)
3. COLA - They propsed a 1% COLA/20 year, effective 10/01/08, not including DROP participants and a 5 year delay not including your DROP years and keeping both supplements( We proposed a 1.5% for 20 years (dont touch the supps) effective 2006, but employees wont start to receive the benefit until 2008 with a 5 year delay including DROP participants)

We as the Board felt that anything less that our last proposal to the city was sub standard. We also feel that we have been more than accomodating as compared to our original offer from June 1st, 2006. In light of that, we so informed the city that we, felt the last offer was no good and would bring it back to the members for a vote. The city in no other words told us that there was no more room for them to negotiate.

Shortly after leaving, as you can imagine, all our phones blew up. The last information we received from the city was they were calling an emergency meeting of the city council and mayor at 430 pm today to discuss todays events. We have no idea what will come of this

What I ask of each and everyone of you is this. Between now and the Thursday special labor meeting is to keep an open mind and look at all the info we are going to provide you. We will have a full report there and post whatever the citys offer is on the FOP board. As such, we need to be fluid with their offers. As it stands, we are going to move foward with the vote beginning Friday and ending Monday.

At this point, the labor board feels the offer is sub standard. I have no idea if between now and Friday their offer will change.....but as it stands....we do not agree with their offer.

As I said, we...as a union must be fluid......every hour things seem to be discussed, changed, counter offered. At this time, the facts are what they are.....their offer is on the table for a vote of the body. This is where you the member get to voice your opinion....wehter its for or against

If the city decides to schedule a mtg this week before Thursday, we will entertain it and liste to any counter they might have but I would not hold my breath. If we feel any new offer is substantial, will bring that one to the bopdy for discussion and a vote

As far as what happens after a vote, the board will reconvene and counter offer again.....as always, if you have any questions, let us know

10-10-2006, 09:44 PM
Thank you for the update and I too agree, this is a substandard counter by the City and would definitely not be in favor of it.

However, the fact they are calling an emergency meeting is a sign they realize we do not stand behind their efforts or lack of a sufficient contract to get us through 3 more years of higher costs of living, inflation and other agencies getting better deals.

I would also still remind everyone, that the offer the board left the city was also substandard by what we deserve and still do not agree with that one.

Thanks again for the hard work and I look forward to Thursday night.

10-10-2006, 09:53 PM
Once again the City is pulling the "This is it crap" We cannot be stupid enough to go for it again can we? With the contracts that have been signed by other cities as of late our offer to the city was a bargain. Still the city can't even agree to this. They still feel the need to come back and chip a little away. I say we vote 1,0000000000 to ZERO telling them to shove them crumbs up their ass!!!!

Our next offer should be in line with what these other cities are giving their "valued employees".

Wake up Plantation.....we are not going to take it anymore!!!!!

10-11-2006, 02:59 AM
Here we go, getting fooled again. With all due respect for the labor board, good job! alot of hard work you guys are doing a tough job. However I feel we have compromised ENOUGH!!!! Somebody put an end to these rumors of a labor board member getting calls from council members with "what will it take to get a signed contract?" Lets due anything to disrupt their beautiful city short of a work stoppage or gee I have the FLU!!!! Im sick of it. They are playing us all for fools.
Guess what good members of the council board your ART IN THE PARK is comming and so are we!!!! with big fat signs and handouts. We're bringing are families to help and do are part to taint your little ART SHOW!!!
Go ahead and push that sh%&ty contract on us and we'll see where those chips fall. Bye
p.s. Please drink and drive responsable. HMM?

10-11-2006, 11:17 PM
As I previously posted, our contract negotiations are still continuing
Since the special mtg yesterday between the Mayor and Council and today, many things are happening and in motion.....
As such, your Labor Board is still working to get you the best possible contract!!!!!!!!
Like I said, with negotiations, you have to be fluid.
We will present whatever offer the city wants to present to you tommorrow...not necessarily the offer from Tuesday.....
What I can say right now is that your Labor Board has been in constant contact with the city, Mayor and Council to get you the best contract possible
BOTH sides are still committed and we hope to bring you a better offer than what was presented on Tuesday
Stay tuned....

10-12-2006, 01:07 AM
As I previously posted, our contract negotiations are still continuing

October 1st, we had no contract and still don't. Why are WE still negotiating? We provided a below standard, below average and less than what others are getting, proposal that the CITY shot down to where we were the other day. Even lower.

Since the special mtg yesterday between the Mayor and Council and today, many things are happening and in motion..... As such, your Labor Board is still working to get you the best possible contract!!!!!!!!

Yes and more & more people are getting discouraged and wondering what could possibly be the "best" contract when we won't be anywhere near other agencies.

Like I said, with negotiations, you have to be fluid.

Yes and they have to be a two way street. So far, we've seen "one way." The way the City wants. The City has offered us VERY LITTLE since day one. They have not budged, only smudged. We have reduced, dwindled and bent over backwards giving up being "AVERAGE" with other agencies to being the lowest again BEFORE the end of the new contract.

We will present whatever offer the city wants to present to you tommorrow...not necessarily the offer from Tuesday.....
What I can say right now is that your Labor Board has been in constant contact with the city, Mayor and Council to get you the best contract possible

There we go again, the "best" contract possible. Doesn't leave much room for fluid negotiations. Sounds more like, "we tried but they won't budge. We budged, but they only smudged." I haven't seen the city of Miami saying all these nice things from their FOP.

BOTH sides are still committed and we hope to bring you a better offer than what was presented on Tuesday
Stay tuned....

Here is something to think about. "Better" than Tuesday's offer? Back to 17%? Are we now forgetting that we were just saying the other day that ANYTHING less than what was on the table Tuesday would be considered "sub-standard?" Please don't allow them to smudge up a bit and still leave us with a substandard contract.

WHY are we not presenting the city with Lauderhill, Pembroke Pines and Coral Springs NEW contracts? We should be back at 21% MINIMUM, and 2-3% COLA, etc.

BTW, I am sure everyone knows by now that Lauderhill got full medical for their officers after retirement. Remember, "It could be worse, you could be working for Lauderhill."

Lastly, let's say that an agreement is reached and the body votes no to whatever offer is presented. Let's say our PR Campaign goes into full swing. What exactly will we be fighting for? Will it be for our last proposal of 17%, 1.5% COLA, etc.?

What happens in a PR Campaign if the City says, "ok, you can have that 17% and 1.5% COLA?" We would still be in last place.

10-12-2006, 01:13 AM
Here we go, getting fooled again. With all due respect for the labor board, good job! alot of hard work you guys are doing a tough job.

Yes, I to agree. You guys on the board are working very hard. I forgot to slide that into my other rant above.

However I feel we have compromised ENOUGH!!!!

We compromised enough when we went to a number that would put us in last place within 3 years..... Again. Only unlike last time of the city telling us our next contract would be better, we are forgetting, it's not better. It's more than our last contract, but LESS than anyone else.

Somebody put an end to these rumors of a labor board member getting calls from council members with "what will it take to get a signed contract?"

Hmm, I can name numerous cities off hand.

10-12-2006, 02:16 AM
Lauderhill did not get full medical, only a percentage paid at retirement
Theyre voting on their contract this week
And a 1% COLA I heard

10-12-2006, 02:20 AM
We are negotiating for last place...again. Another labor board sell out. I'm out of here.

10-12-2006, 07:09 AM
Here we go again. Everybody talks tough, but we'll approve any contract that's put before us. "It's the best we're going to get" is a familiar mantra around here. No one will leave and everyone will continue to provide above average service for below average wages. We are running at 30% below last year's minimum staffing, you can't get a day off or any training. But keep busting your a** and show them that we don't need any more officers to do the same job we did last year.

10-12-2006, 02:22 PM
Here we go again. Everybody talks tough, but we'll approve any contract that's put before us. "It's the best we're going to get" is a familiar mantra around here. No one will leave and everyone will continue to provide above average service for below average wages. We are running at 30% below last year's minimum staffing, you can't get a day off or any training. But keep busting your a** and show them that we don't need any more officers to do the same job we did last year.
And your right! But you know what, they have people on the sidelines waiting to get hired... People are coming and they'll work here for peanuts. So we blew are wad on that, no leverage there! They are taking people back who failed their polys, so again we'll get the cream of the crop!!! HAHAHAHA!!!! When and if people leave here, you'll be replaced just as fast. The fact is no one has the balls to leave, so stop the complaining. Most of us cant leave for other reasons. We've been told that the good people of this city doesnt care how much other cops are getting in other cities. If your upset get off your butt and start filling out other apps at other personell departments plain and simple.....
I'm willing to stand in the heat to protest, but its going to be put to a vote tonight to the body. and I must say we must do whats right for the many then the very few..... get it?

10-12-2006, 06:23 PM
"The grass is greener", much like that in a cow pasture. And the City is the cows and we've been "dumped" on again. So the pasture is well fertilized and bright green.

Where is everyone that is leaving? Seems a month ago it was all the talk. There was talk of some people wanting BSO and others not.

You are right, there are people that want to be cops and work for whatever gets them in the door, but where are our applicants? Other agencies are actively campaigning to recruit officers with great offers and nice pay. So who will be the ones ending up coming here?

If we are the lowest paid, my guess is our IA will be more busy in the years to come. Statistics have already shown that with other cities that pay low and lower their hiring standards just to get officers.

I think the Mayor's comment of "it could be worse, you could work for Lauderhill" is becoming a staple with the troops. I can only imagine what other Mayors will say about Plantation now.

A Sunrise cop said the other day when I saw him on a traffic stop, "I didn't know how low you guys were paid. You guys are the new Lauderhill!" He thought it was funny, I thought it was sad and so should EVERY other person here.

10-13-2006, 04:51 AM
DAVIE IS STILL HIRING.

10-13-2006, 10:49 PM
Any news from the 2pm meeting today? I am very suprised that nobody has updated us. Are we losing steam? Seems like a month or two ago there was such strong talk about how united we need to be and how we need to fight for our contract. Then we hear, "it's the best we'll get" and that is below our expectations.

What happened to all the talk about the job fair? It quietly went away. All the talk about hiring the PR guy that specializes in campaigns. That quietly died out. Three weeks ago, members were saying how we'll boycott, petition, etc. Now we hear from one member of the labor board about how it won't be worth fighting them in a PR forum.

Sure hope we haven't given up or withdrawn into shells.

10-13-2006, 11:30 PM
Is there anything else you wanted to post in a public forum for the mayor to read. Let's trust you with the nuke codes...