PDA

View Full Version : I'm Not Trying to Cause Trouble Here

10-09-2006, 10:18 PM
So I am in PASCO driving home in my POV from Publix with my family in the car. It's my 4 days off, out of my rear view mirror I see a police car coming up fast. I moved over to the driving lane and this Marked TPD unit goes flying by. If I had to guess he was doing 85 plus.

Guys, I love my take home car privileges and don't want to loose it cause your in a hurry to get home. Please for the love of god, slow down outside the City.

Thanks,

TPD Officer

10-10-2006, 12:05 AM
some people should not have take home cars

10-10-2006, 01:21 AM
Here's a thought. When we see other officers from our agency doing stupid things such as you described, lets just note the car number and pass it along to a supervisor. I'm sick and tired of most of us having to pay a price for the ignorance of a select few! When a few people lose the privledge of taking their car home for a month or two maybe the rest will pay closer attention....

10-10-2006, 01:54 AM
At last, a voice of sanity.

It is absolutely STUPID to abuse the good deal of take home cars by breaking traffic laws when you are obviously outside your jurisdiction.

The public sees this and resents it deeply.

Offenders should be punished!

10-10-2006, 02:43 AM
Here's a thought. When we see other officers from our agency doing stupid things such as you described, lets just note the car number and pass it along to a supervisor. I'm sick and tired of most of us having to pay a price for the ignorance of a select few! When a few people lose the privledge of taking their car home for a month or two maybe the rest will pay closer attention....

Hey Snitch, how about just getting with that guy or girl. Keep the brass out of this.

10-10-2006, 03:07 AM
Hmmm....guess we're going to have to start running laser in different places now!

10-10-2006, 05:11 AM
Man, I'm with Leeway....I cant believe how quick the response was to get the car number and go to the supervisor...How about maybe just going up to that guy or girl and tell them without involving their supervisor....Boy I bet IA just loves you.....SNITCH!

10-10-2006, 04:57 PM
That's exactly what's wrong with this profession nowadays. No one has ANY balls anymore. You know what...if an officer is doing something stupid...IT'S YOUR OBLIGATION to talk to that officer. If you don't, you don't belong here. If you do, and the ofc doesn't change, they don't belong here.

And the scariest part is that all these little tattletale babies are about to be your next golden hatchet supervisor. Makes me want to vomit.

No one wants to lose our cars, and the ofc needs to be corrected. But for God's sake...have some integrity, act like the strongwilled person your profession REQUIRES you to be and talk to the officer. Maybe you can effect some positive change by YOURSELF.

Funny...wasn't ALL that long ago that FTOs actually taught their POs things like this. I wonder if nowadays they just teach tattling....

10-10-2006, 06:39 PM
That's exactly what's wrong with this profession nowadays. No one has ANY balls anymore. You know what...if an officer is doing something stupid...IT'S YOUR OBLIGATION to talk to that officer. If you don't, you don't belong here. If you do, and the ofc doesn't change, they don't belong here.

And the scariest part is that all these little tattletale babies are about to be your next golden hatchet supervisor. Makes me want to vomit.

No one wants to lose our cars, and the ofc needs to be corrected. But for God's sake...have some integrity, act like the strongwilled person your profession REQUIRES you to be and talk to the officer. Maybe you can effect some positive change by YOURSELF.

Funny...wasn't ALL that long ago that FTOs actually taught their POs things like this. I wonder if nowadays they just teach tattling....

AMEN !!!!

10-10-2006, 09:44 PM
OK, here's a deal for you. I see it happen too.

I don't work for TPD, so I'll get the car number and report it to TPD!

I can't give you a ticket, so this is the next best thing.

Hope that makes you all happy.

:wink:

10-11-2006, 01:38 AM
OK, here's a deal for you. I see it happen too.

I don't work for TPD, so I'll get the car number and report it to TPD!

I can't give you a ticket, so this is the next best thing.

Hope that makes you all happy.

:wink:

Happens Everyday join the club caller !

10-11-2006, 03:35 AM
Wow how scary a citizen is going to call and complain that police cars are driving too fast....Oh please citizen dont call...we are so worried. How much merit do you think the staff gives to somebody saying that a police car was going a certain speed limit. Unless its observed by a supervisor, your little speed estimation doesnt matter to anyone...Trust me

This is how it will go:

"Yes Sir I would like to report TPD car #12345 driving recklessly on I-75, he must have been going 100 mph"

"Thank you good citizen, I will find out who has that car and speak with them"

"Officer so and so, were you driving 100 mph on I-75 the other day"

"No"

"Okay thanks, some citizen called and said that you were speeding so be careful in case you were speeding"

"Okay thanks Sarge, I will, but since I wasnt speeding I dont know what the problem is"

10-21-2006, 04:33 AM
First and foremost, I'd like to know who your Sergeant is, that your speeding complaint was swept under the carpet.
Second, I have experienced being complained on for speeding, in a construction zone, and in rush hour traffic, on the crosstown. Explain that, cause on a good day, during rush hour you can't speed, let alone when it was under construction. And yes I did get paper, even after the investigating supervisors asked the citizen, how he would know I was speeding, if he wasn't speeding himself?
No, I'm not perfect, I do drive above the speed limit at times, but not thirty miles per hour, over the speed limit!
I have seen it daily, been called by friends and family about officers flying by them, to and from work. Fortunately for those officers, they didn't take my advice.
No I'm not going to tell a supervisor about it, because its not considered snitching, its considered *****ing, and no I won't approach the officer anymore, because its a waste of my breathe.
But I will say this, if one of these careless *******s should hit a friend or family member of mine, whether it is minor or serious, I will be sure to sue them for every penny I can and I won't think twice if it means taking their home from their family.
I know its asking alot of some people, but why don't you be the mature professional adults you call yourselves, and respect the other drivers out there, and stop trying to hide behind your badge.
I bet your the same officer that throws there badge in the cops face, when you get pulled over in your personal car so you don;t get a ticket. Yes, I can conciously say I've never badged a cop, or expected anything less then what I deserved, if I was pulled over in my personal car.
I'm sure you wouldn't want your family members safety being jeopordized, by some jackass trying to get home or to work.
Further, how can you conciously cite someone for speeding, go to court and testify, when you yourself speed!!!! Isn't that the cat calling the kettle black?
If you don't respect the law, how can you expect others to do so!
Wake up people, there are way to many cars on the road for this ignorance, that some display....... Your not cool, your an embarassment to the rest of us, who try to do the right thing, and keep the respect that an officer deserves.

Wow how scary a citizen is going to call and complain that police cars are driving too fast....Oh please citizen dont call...we are so worried. How much merit do you think the staff gives to somebody saying that a police car was going a certain speed limit. Unless its observed by a supervisor, your little speed estimation doesnt matter to anyone...Trust me

This is how it will go:

"Yes Sir I would like to report TPD car #12345 driving recklessly on I-75, he must have been going 100 mph"

"No"

"Okay thanks, some citizen called and said that you were speeding so be careful in case you were speeding"

"Okay thanks Sarge, I will, but since I wasnt speeding I dont know what the problem is"

10-21-2006, 05:08 AM

This is how it will go:

KEEP THINKING THAT WAY AND WATCH THEM TAKE YOUR CAR AWAY FOR 30 DAYS. TRUST ME, I HAVE SEEN IT HAPPEN SEVERAL TIMES!

"No"

10-21-2006, 01:41 PM

This is how it will go:

"No"

Thanks for letting me know how citizen complaints are ignored by supervisors.

I'll take a different approach:

1. CAMCORDER! Videotape the speeding police car and then pan down to my car's speedometer.

2. INTERNAL AFFAIRS! Since you assure me the officer's supervisor will not properly handle the complaint unofficially, I'll make it official.

That kind of reminds me of when presidential aspirant Gary Hart challenged the press to catch him behaving immorally. It wasn't long before his photo appeared in the paper with a party girl aboard the boat "Monkey Business" and his presidential hopes were gone forever.

Thanks for the challenge!

:devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil:

10-21-2006, 05:05 PM
[quote=right]Wow how scary a citizen is going to call and complain that police cars are driving too fast....Oh please citizen dont call...we are so worried. How much merit do you think the staff gives to somebody saying that a police car was going a certain speed limit. Unless its observed by a supervisor, your little speed estimation doesnt matter to anyone...Trust me

This is how it will go:

"No"

Thanks for letting me know how citizen complaints are ignored by supervisors.

I'll take a different approach:

1. CAMCORDER! Videotape the speeding police car and then pan down to my car's speedometer.

2. INTERNAL AFFAIRS! Since you assure me the officer's supervisor will not properly handle the complaint unofficially, I'll make it official.

That kind of reminds me of when presidential aspirant Gary Hart challenged the press to catch him behaving immorally. It wasn't long before his photo appeared in the paper with a party girl aboard the boat "Monkey Business" and his presidential hopes were gone forever.

Thanks for the challenge!

:devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil:[/quote:ri8406o0]

Trust me, those complainants are dealt with. I'm not sure if the person claiming they are not is even a cop or just a smarta$$ . Therefore, if you see an officer driving CRAZY, not 5 over please feel free to call and know it will be taken care of.

JT Martin
10-24-2006, 01:59 PM
I read all the comments on this subject with great interest, from officers and citizens alike. I was hired in the mid 80's and after several years of being in patrol, I was fortunate enough to finally get an assigned take-home car. Yes, it's true.....we didn't always have that privilege. I had the benefit of that vehicle for approximately 6 or 7 months before they were taken away. The next time I saw an assigned car was sometime in '97 or maybe '98 when I was transferred to my current assignment and was given an unmarked car. A large number of newer officers have taken for granted that the cars are, and have always been, available and even though it's a contract issue now, there's nothing that prevents it from being brought to the table for negotiation in the future. Sit down when you have some time and calculate the monetary benefit you derive from having an assigned car. Beyond, that, I have some thoughts on the issue of being in a marked car and representing ALL of us. We all know from experience and from having been on the department that it only takes one officer to make ALL of us look bad in the public eye. I'm not perfect by any means, but I really only want to be held responsible for the transgressions that I commit. Because I am privileged enough to do some instructing for LEO recruits. I have also had the opportunity to observe and experience firsthand the attitudes of some of the people that are in the supply pool to be hired. There does seem to be a widespread belief that officers are exempt from the rules, laws and regulations that apply to everyone else. Of course we know this isn't the case, but they come to the academy with that attitude. Where they get it is beyond me, but they have it. As far as being an adult and confronting the offending officer, here's my thought on that. Why should ANYONE have to approach an officer who drives a marked unit, and who has been entrusted with arrrest powers, and explain to them that maybe they should change their driving habits? We're talking about a presumably responsible, mature adult. That's about as ludicrous as me telling an officer that they really shouldn't steal personal property from a crime scene. If you don't see a problem with having to explain that to an officer, then the person who wrote about wasting his breath is right.

10-24-2006, 02:40 PM
JT thanks, I'm glad to see someone else is on the same page as I. I was beginning to think that only I perceived my position in the manner I do.

10-24-2006, 02:51 PM

For you to just jump the unwritten PERSONAL CHAIN OF COMMAND is out right ASININE!!! Here's a scenario: You're in your take-home unit just cruising at the posted speed, not speeding AT ALL!!! Now as you pass by Ofc. Joe Blow (who you recently had a verbal altercation with) still not speeding but Ofc. J. Blow decides he's going to rat you out on a violation you aren't even doing anyway. Now what EINSTEIN???!! There are many other situations that warrant ratting on a fellow officer for something he/she has not done but YOU (SNITCH) still want to report them anyway. Well I guess you are Officer J. Blow Me (JUST BLOW ME) you SNITCH!!! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

JT Martin
10-24-2006, 03:22 PM
I've never heard anything about an unwritten personal chain of command, but...in the scenario you describe, the real issue is not being "snitched" on by an officer you had a verbal confrontation with, but rather the untruthfulness of the allegations made by said officer. And if we're going to talk about personal anything, how about personal responsibility and accountability? When did THAT go by the wayside? Are we to become like such a large part of society that refuses to take responsibility for personal actions and seeks only to do whatever they please with reckless abandon?? Each of us is held accountable in some fashion, if not to a supervisor then to ourselves. If you advocate being allowed to act in whatever manner suits you without having to be accountable, then I fear for the future of this department.

10-25-2006, 07:23 PM
You are pathetic and worthless. You would be the first one to call Police when you are gettin your arse beat or a person is walking through your yard at mid night. Your new project should be to find or get a life.

If you are a cop go to the Officer and tell him you saw him speeding. Handle it like a man and not a snitch. That would probably take care of the problem.

Oh yea, make sure you obey every traffic law in the books, otherwise your no better than he is. SAD

10-26-2006, 12:50 AM
oh my god.!!!! I cant believe what I just read. Get the car number give it to a supervisor... what the hell is wrong with you people. if you have such a problem with it them go be a man and talk with the officer. although Im quite sure your guilty of the same offense too. What happened to the day of taking care of your own and everyone in blue is a brother. Problem nowadays is the cops they are hiring... former college boys that couldnt get a job in the corporate world so they decide to "be a cop". I look forward to retirement cause this job just aint what it used to be... Take care of your own dont ever ever ever turn them in to brass for something so stupid... get a clue....

10-26-2006, 02:56 AM
oh my god.!!!! I cant believe what I just read. Get the car number give it to a supervisor... what the hell is wrong with you people. if you have such a problem with it them go be a man and talk with the officer. although Im quite sure your guilty of the same offense too. What happened to the day of taking care of your own and everyone in blue is a brother. Problem nowadays is the cops they are hiring... former college boys that couldnt get a job in the corporate world so they decide to "be a cop". I look forward to retirement cause this job just aint what it used to be... Take care of your own dont ever ever ever turn them in to brass for something so stupid... get a clue....

You hit the nail on the head. We have a bunch of college boys and girls who don't want to do anything to disapoint Mom cause she paid out 30K so they could go to school. These guys and girls don't know anything about brotherhood and paying dues. They get here and think they should run the place with two years on.

We got a department with over 1000 cops and I am to the point that I can only trust about five of them.

10-26-2006, 10:51 AM
"They get here and think they should run the place with two years on. "

Of course they think that...and lately staff is proving them right.

10-27-2006, 05:17 PM
I will use a CAMCORDER- you are an idiot, how about this from now on you handle your own problems and dont call the police. You have no idea what we go through every night. The problems we face and the people we deal with just to protect someone who wants to video tape a car speeding.I cant judge a marked patrol car speeding, because 99% of those speeding are probably going to a call.

10-27-2006, 05:46 PM
[quote]I'll take a different approach:

I would love to be the Officer behind you when your operating a camcorder and driving. That would be the most expensive "caper" you've ever had, and while your in IA complaining, you can explain that to them! Your probably the same type of "Police basher" that's the first to call if you need us! Good luck with "your new project"...your going to need it!

10-27-2006, 06:03 PM
I will use a CAMCORDER- you are an idiot, how about this from now on you handle your own problems and dont call the police. You have no idea what we go through every night. The problems we face and the people we deal with just to protect someone who wants to video tape a car speeding.I cant judge a marked patrol car speeding, because 99% of those speeding are probably going to a call.

I hope you observe and investigate better than you read posts. The subject was SPEEDING WHEN OUTSIDE OF THE COUNTY and headed away from Tampa, so it wouldn't be going on a call. It is a strange argument that because your work is difficult then you don't need to obey the law. Poor baby!

I would love to be the Officer behind you when your operating a camcorder and driving. That would be the most expensive "caper" you've ever had, and while your in IA complaining, you can explain that to them! Your probably the same type of "Police basher" that's the first to call if you need us! Good luck with "your new project"...your going to need it!

Again, it won't be YOU behind me because it is outside your jurisdiction. Also, I can have a dash mounted camera just like you can. OR, my passenger might be holding the camcorder.

Instead of making threats, consider just behaving yourself. Actually, I'm a police supporter, not a police basher, but you have no more right to violate traffic laws than I do. :wink:

10-27-2006, 10:17 PM
Well Mr. My New Project....Maybe you outta read the 316 statute's and see that there are some traffic laws that we can violate.....Idiot

10-27-2006, 10:44 PM
Hes a civilian so he has no clue what 316 allows us to do legally... Thats why we shouldnt even put posts on this website because you get morons like him reading what we are saying. Its not a secure website and anyone can access it. I read it for entertainment value only. Very rare that Ill ever respond to a post for the very reason that you have idiots like this guy reading these posts because he has nothing better to do.. Probably a wanna be who couldnt cut it as a cop and now hes a security gaurd or even worse a trooper.

11-15-2006, 08:20 PM
In response to the officer who stated that he would take down the car number and pass it along to a sergeant. Where is your loyalty to that officer who is doing the speeding. Pull he/she aside and tell them that what they did is hurting everyone else. How can you expect to be trusted by fellow officers if your first reaction, to every situation is to turn them in immediately. I guess your trying to get promoted?

11-15-2006, 08:34 PM
Could the officer have been responding to a tactical call mutual aide or maybe a hostage situation, or did you see the off-duty light on.

11-15-2006, 09:22 PM
Could the officer have been responding to a tactical call mutual aide or maybe a hostage situation, or did you see the off-duty light on.

Come on, quit trying to defend bad behavior by suggesting something that happens a handful of times each year and effects a small number of officers. Everyone knows what the real reason was.

11-15-2006, 11:03 PM
Well Mr. My New Project....Maybe you outta read the 316 statute's and see that there are some traffic laws that we can violate.....Idiot

Well I took your advice and read them all very diligently.

Couldn't find the one that authorized an off-duty, out-of-jurisdiction officer driving home to violate any traffic laws.

I think IA will see it my way. If not, the Tribune and/or one or more of the TV news channels will be sure to be interested. What the heck, I can just point out this thread to the TV guys and let them make the video. Shouldn't take long to get some footage - probably right into someone's driveway.

Don't worry. You make so much money that a little embarassment won't really hurt you.

:devil: :cop: :devil: :cop: :devil:

----------------------------------------------------------

"...... she had fun, fun, fun... Till her daddy took her T-bird away...." - The Beach Boys.

:P :P :P :P :P

11-18-2006, 08:39 AM

This is how it will go:

"No"

WHAT? Are you saying pigs routinely break the law and lie about it?

Of course they do, daily. This is why cops are not respected.

IN fact, what would happen is, you would call and complain, the dispatch would laugh at you after you hung up. If the dispatch had a beef with the badge, they might pass the tip on. If so, the officer will not be confronted but you will recieve a call, "Citizen, we determined that the officer was speeding on the way to a call. .."

Cops by nature are liars and pigs. Period. THis will never change. Don't kid yourself otherwise.

11-19-2006, 01:55 AM
Yea Mr "What a surprise", and I'm sure very soon you'll be updating your lifetime membership to the Hillsborough Hilton (AKA Orint Road Jail). One of us will be more than happy to help you out in this endevour.

TPD Air 4