PDA

View Full Version : Wake up and smell the coffee!!

10-05-2006, 03:01 PM
So alot of you guys are upset over the contract negotiations? Whats the matter all those green arrest and tickets issued while bird dogging stop signs didn't pay off? Did you think this administration would reward you for playing their stat game? Well, wake up and realize that the officers are just pawns in this administrations plan to erode police officers rights! They want to dictate and micromanage your every move. Its no shock that the administrators were given bonuses.

This administration has instituted the old "ends justifies the means" mentality. Officers have known there is a ticket "quota" for some time yet we sat back and took it. Now officers who in years past would have been isolated for writing tickets instead of taking calls for service are now getting promoted. Now they are trying to neutralize our beloved MPO status. Don't let them win. I'm not as concerned about money as I am officers rights.

10-05-2006, 03:18 PM
IF YOU ARE EVEN THINKING ABOUT VOTING YES, I ASK YOU TO LOOK AT THE ENTIRE CONTRACT VERY CAREFULLY.

STEP INCREASE ISSUE-ONE DAY IT WILL AFFECT YOU.
F.T.O., SHIFT DIFF. - YOU MIGHT GET BUMPED BY SOMEBODY MORE SENIOR AND END UP WITH SHIT.

BE SMART, VOTE NO!

10-05-2006, 10:04 PM
Everyone NEEDS to vote no!

The PBA and city are trying to sneak a provision into the contract that you lose MPO/Sr. SGT/Sr. CPL pay if your rating isn't satisfactory! This has been used as a cost cutting measure by the city in years past.

Forget the wage increases. They could be a 10-10-10 and we should still vote this down. DO NOT MAKE MPO PAY CONTINGENT UPON PERFORMANCE!!!! Everyone needs to realize that they are trying to do this, no matter how the PBA wants to sugar-coat it.

10-06-2006, 12:26 AM
Everyone NEEDS to vote no!

The PBA and city are trying to sneak a provision into the contract that you lose MPO/Sr. SGT/Sr. CPL pay if your rating isn't satisfactory! This has been used as a cost cutting measure by the city in years past.

Forget the wage increases. They could be a 10-10-10 and we should still vote this down. DO NOT MAKE MPO PAY CONTINGENT UPON PERFORMANCE!!!! Everyone needs to realize that they are trying to do this, no matter how the PBA wants to sugar-coat it.

Sure sounds like a classic union. Don't let them connect rewards to performance!

Looked at Michigan lately? The most unionized state in the USA. It's collapsing from high taxes and union payrolls that are bankrupting their major companies. (Delphi, Ford, General Motors, etc.) Sixty-five percent of the people using Moving Van services in Michigan are LEAVING THE STATE.

TPD = Greed.

10-06-2006, 02:03 AM
As police we should obtain the facts and make an educated decision about the contract proposals. Too many members rely on the rumors posted on this message board.
I am not a fan of our union leadership however in Kevin's defense please check out his remarks on the PBA website at www.wcfpba.org (http://www.wcfpba.org). and then make a decision concerning the senior ratings. I am a Senior ranked employee who works. I like many have earned that ranking. I am not worried about losing that ranking by not meeting the expectations.
Senior rankings should not be an automatic ranking because you've been a police officer for ten years,or a detective or Sgt. for seven years. We all know co-workers who have those rankings that really don't deserve them.
This raises the bar for us Senior ranked employees, you want it you got to earn it. What is wrong with that. It should not be an entitlement.
When the PBA reps. come to rollcalls ask the questions and then decide.As always be safe and let's back each other up out there.

10-06-2006, 02:42 AM
I knew it would not take long for the "coalition of the willing to respond" . Try for once to stop thinking like the predictable cop that they think you are and realize the city's goal. Put aside your pride we all know you earn your money thats not the point. The city could really care less about 4.5/4.0/4.0. Their motive is to gain full control of "how" you do your job! By threatening your stripe. Let this happen and everyone will be sorry. Remember the first thing this administration did was remove the civil service protection of the majors. Ask some of them how it feels to know their jobs in jeopardy every single day. Trust me i've seen 20 year veterans that I know are excellent officers called into the district to discuss their "ratios". Use your brains for once they don't expect you to. uote="Senior Ranked"]As police we should obtain the facts and make an educated decision about the contract proposals. Too many members rely on the rumors posted on this message board.
I am not a fan of our union leadership however in Kevin's defense please check out his remarks on the PBA website at www.wcfpba.org (http://www.wcfpba.org). and then make a decision concerning the senior ratings. I am a Senior ranked employee who works. I like many have earned that ranking. I am not worried about losing that ranking by not meeting the expectations.
Senior rankings should not be an automatic ranking because you've been a police officer for ten years,or a detective or Sgt. for seven years. We all know co-workers who have those rankings that really don't deserve them.
This raises the bar for us Senior ranked employees, you want it you got to earn it. What is wrong with that. It should not be an entitlement.
When the PBA reps. come to rollcalls ask the questions and then decide.As always be safe and let's back each other up out there.[/quote]

10-06-2006, 03:39 AM
They say there is no quota yet D2 staf looks at ticket/arrest ratios. If they are not in the single digit, you get chewed out. D2 is the lowest morale district I've ever worked for. Wise up, vote NO

10-07-2006, 06:18 AM
Sure sounds like a classic union. Don't let them connect rewards to performance!

Looked at Michigan lately? The most unionized state in the USA. It's collapsing from high taxes and union payrolls that are bankrupting their major companies. (Delphi, Ford, General Motors, etc.) Sixty-five percent of the people using Moving Van services in Michigan are LEAVING THE STATE.

Who are you anyway? Sara Lang in disguise? Someone who never could get hired here and are jealous that we have the opportunity to make more money than you?

Michigan businesses are not collapsing because of union payrolls, they are collapsing because the American automotive industry is going down the toilet. This isn't because of unions, it's because Ford and GM make inferior products that do not appeal to consumers the way that foreign products do. There are plenty of other industries where unions are prevelent that are doing just fine.

Furthermore, it's asinine to compare corporate sector unions with public sector unions and organizations. There has never been a situation where a union has bankrupted a government. In fact, you're totally clueless if you think that the PBA is much of a union. All one has to do is look at the government employee unions in the northeast or mid Atlantic and see how strong unions can be.

10-07-2006, 07:11 AM
Hey Michigan union basher. Obviously you really don't know what the hell you are talking about, but since I have my Master's degree, and yes I'm only a patrolman, I figured a highly educated individual like myself has to look at all possibilities. Let's try your performance based pay scheme.

How much are you offering for tickets, arrests?
Is there higher pay for felony vs misdemeanor?
How about different commissions for moving vs non-moving violations.

Would you get paid more when you respond to an alarm call if you find and open door. How about if you find a burglar? Is there additional pay if you shoot the burglar?

If you go to a domestic and arrest the husband, do you get more money if the wife is really beat up bad?

Please give details about your performance pay plan. Maybe I could make 150-200K just like a real estate agent or salesman.

Believe me, if you make a performance based plan where I can make money based on tickets, arrest, etc, I'll being writing everyone. When I see you drinking a beer walking to a Bucs game, sorry, you are under arrest, no warnings. Hey, I would like to give you a warning but that will reflect on my performance. You're 16 year old just could not maintain a single lane. Sorry, even though he/she did not cause an accident, I must write a ticket because I cannot let my performance suffer.

Try not to embarass yourself any further.
But since I'm older and wiser please respond with your performance plan. Maybe you have a totally different plan. Or maybe you're just an idiot.

Oh, and to all TPD cops, in case you forgot, VOTE NO !!!!!!

10-08-2006, 09:12 AM
For the poster who thinks we are trying to avoid responsibility-

In all the years you can think back on, has ANYONE been disciplined for being lazy or incompetent? ANYONE?

Staff wants to be able to use your paycheck to bludgeon you into submission. If they really have a problem with officer performance, they could easily use the existing rules and SOPs to try and fix the problem. Since they haven't bothered to do so, why should we give them a chance to use our paychecks against us?

Forget the raises or other issues- VOTE NO on this contract because of this! Remember, you have rights to grieve a discipline issue- but when the city yanks part of your paycheck based on a review, they are gonna claim its an administrative management issue. And you are going to be missing some cash.

BUT OF COURSE YOU HAVE NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT, the city would never put pressure on you in such a round-about way......... and if you believe that, I have a bridge in Brooklyn for sale.

10-08-2006, 04:08 PM
Name 5 people that have lost money because of some retribution from "management". The contract says overall average, not just one category. Not writing enough tickets should not cause you to lose your MPO status, being a total, disrespectful, slug will. See the difference?

And no, I'm not saying the poster is the lazy and disrespectful slug, I'm speaking in general terms.

And if "management" tries to take away money from an employee, I would hope the officer's first move would be to call the PBA. There are many steps that the City needs to follow before penalizing someone in the pocket book. Read your SOPs and city manual to see for yourself.

I just hope "management" is held to the same standard on this item because they certainly aren't on many other issues.

10-09-2006, 02:11 AM
So your answer to the person who gets their mpo status stripped is to go the the PBA... the same orgnization that brought us this contract in the first place.

Did you ever think that the reason for the step increase being not subject to removal is because the nature of our job? We have a unique postition in society and it is difficult at best to compare with "normal" jobs. When was the last time the real estate agent made the news because he had a violent arrest and the family now wants and investigation?

Just look at the Tavis Maus situation, read the transcripts. If that does not scare you enough then nothing will. The Boss and his D.T. cronnies should open a psychic hot line because according to them they knew what Travis was thinking when he kicked the bad guy. At a MINIMUM we deserve not to worry about our pay check. I have enough to worry about.. like coming home every night.