PDA

View Full Version : Sheriff Gee... Man up, it's time to ask the BOCC to pay up.

10-05-2006, 03:38 AM
Almost 2 years ago our Sheriff stood before us all and said that he wanted this agency to be the best. He wanted us to be the best trained, highest educated and with that would come the highest paid.

Well Sheriff, I hope that you and the BOCC are taking a hard look at the numbers that the City of Tampa feel that their officers are worth. In this next contract with the HCSO PBA it is time for you to step up to the plate and show us that when you spoke you meant what you were saying. You see, with agencies around us offering a much better package it is going to be harder for "YOU" to fulfill your goal of attracting the candidates with the level of education that you want. What you will be getting are the "left overs" that others did not want. It is time for "YOU" to go forth to the BOCC and the citizens of this great County and explain why you must provide a better package to those that you want to hire and for those of us that are already here, you know the ones that still work a 42 hour work week and are rewarded by the BOCC with less than 1.6 deputies per every 1000 citizens. It is time for "YOU" to give each member of the BOCC a copy of TPD's proposed contact and explain why you can not compete for the candidates that you want when the their officers will top out approximately $10,000 a year more than your deputies and their detectives almost $20,000 a year more than your detectives! Sheriff, the PBA can not do this on their own. It is time for "YOU" and your staff to look to the future of this agency and the quality of candidate you want. It is up to "YOU" and your staff to stop fighting the PBA and to assist those that serve "YOU".

If you do not, I hope that the leaders of our Chapter have the guts to stand up and fight for what is right. It is time for our Chapter to take the contract from TPD and the City and ask for the same thing.

I do not expect "YOU" to pay your deputies like your staff, who are the highest paid staff in the State. I would be than more happy being the top paid in the Bay Area............with your assistance. Show us "YOU" care about us.

10-05-2006, 04:37 PM
quote:"Show us "YOU" care about us."

he doesn't

10-06-2006, 12:17 AM
Let's see if I've got this right.

The TPD is the highest paid police agency in the area and one of the highest paid in the state. West Coast PBA is trying to keep them there.

We expect the SAME PBA to negotiate to make US the highest paid police agency in the area.

The same PBA. The one dominated by retired TPD officers.

Hummmmm................

:?

10-06-2006, 12:34 AM
You mean you actually expect Sheriff Gee to keep his campaign promises to us?.................. :roll: C'mon

10-07-2006, 05:13 AM
Hmmmm So what your saying is TPD makes $10,000 more a year, Gets paid and extra .80 hour to work evenings, an extra $1.00 and hour to work midnights, can get paid out their holidays instead of banking them, safe driver pay, master shooter pay, three times our longevity bonus has double the officer per capita than us and works 2 hours less a week.

See your our missing the big picture, the stuff that counts….

We have touch screen computers, cotton shirts and a bad a2s range they don’t…..

So who really has the best chapter at the WCFPA.

10-07-2006, 02:35 PM

he doesn't

And neither do I, as a taxpaying citizen of Hillsborough County. For what you do, you are overpaid as it is.

10-07-2006, 04:37 PM

he doesn't

And neither do I, as a taxpaying citizen of Hillsborough County. For what you do, you are overpaid as it is.

You think we are over paid....................you need to look at what Sheriff Gee pays his staff :oops: :oops: :oops:

10-08-2006, 11:28 PM
In addition to touch screen computers, cotton shirts and a bad a#s range, we have public art at the SOC and DIII, a bad a#s Hummer, the employee picnic and one big, happy family...and like Baretta used to say, "You can take dat to the bank."

10-13-2006, 04:26 PM
Are you serious? Leo's overpaid is what "Taxpayer" says?-Leo's are UNDERPAID! For what they do and what they risk for themselves and their families, you've got to be kidding me! You don't have a clue!

10-13-2006, 11:09 PM
Are you serious? Leo's overpaid is what "Taxpayer" says?-Leo's are UNDERPAID! For what they do and what they risk for themselves and their families, you've got to be kidding me! You don't have a clue!

I do have a clue. You guys only sit under trees, dodge calls, and take freebies from restaurants and gas stations. Every now and then you get off of your lard rear end to harrass everyday citizens. You also act like you are above the law. You have much attitude and is all you do is complain that you are underpaid. You have a very attractive benefit package (what other company gets free health benefits for their family?). You get free take home cars and annual raises of at least 5%. Again, unheard of in a civilian job. If you made $100k a year, you'd still whine that you are underpaid. And as far as risk, every now and then one of you dies on the job. But it is not as common as you'd have people believe. Driving a truck for a living is probably just as dangerous as being a pig. And if you are that afraid, which by the way is a horrible way to spend 25 years of your life, to be scared day in and day out of even going to work, you need to find a new career. You should have known what the risks were when you signed up to be a cop. Don't expect to be paid like a doctor when you have a high school education (like most cops.) Even those of you that may have a degree, it is a criminal justice degree--which is a bullsh*t degree that anyone with half a brain could get. In short, you are definitely OVERPAID.

10-13-2006, 11:58 PM

Risk?

More convenience store clerks were killed on the job than cops were last year. And for a lot less pay.

You tend to overdramatize yourselves. You deserve a good wage, but to say you are underpaid is simply silly. Most of you couldn't make nearly as much money as you do now, with your current job skills and education, in some other field.

A criminal justice degree is kind of like a liberal arts degree - a "soft" degree as opposed to engineering, computer sciences, law, medicine or some other degree that takes a really first-class intellect to attain.

You want to be rich? Go to medical school.

In the mean time, let's get a pay raise and some benefits for those convenience store clerks.

10-14-2006, 01:15 AM

PRESS HARD FIVE COPIES javascript:emoticon(':lol:')
Laughing

Risk?

More convenience store clerks were killed on the job than cops were last year. And for a lot less pay.

You tend to overdramatize yourselves. You deserve a good wage, but to say you are underpaid is simply silly. Most of you couldn't make nearly as much money as you do now, with your current job skills and education, in some other field.

A criminal justice degree is kind of like a liberal arts degree - a "soft" degree as opposed to engineering, computer sciences, law, medicine or some other degree that takes a really first-class intellect to attain.

You want to be rich? Go to medical school.

In the mean time, let's get a pay raise and some benefits for those convenience store clerks. :lol:

10-14-2006, 02:23 AM
First off, health insurance is NOT free. Yes, there might be a good benefit package, but it is not free. Secondly, please tell me where and what county gets 5% a year raise every year, and I'm there. It's much more than every now and then a cop dies on the job-do your research before you go mouthing off like you know it all. I never said that all LEO's are good-Yeah, there are some that sit around and do nothing and dodge calls, as you say. But there are plenty of people in many jobs that sit around and do nothing, but others that don't. Driving trucks, working at the 7-Eleven, whatever the job is, there's a risk you take, never said there wasn't. But I feel that a LEO should make more than the person who gives you a burger and fries out a window! You have plenty of cops who have more than a high school diploma, who are very intelligent and have alot of schooling, who have worked hard to do what they do and deserve a good paying job and not be underminded by idiots like you. No one said they were scared to be a cop, just that it's a risky job. Nor did I say other jobs aren't taking a risk either. But when your job is dealing with dumb a$$ people who think shooting cops is the answer, that's a risk that you take for your life and your family. How do you think the family of Matt Williams feels right now-they've lost a husband and a dad, guess he was just another cop sitting under a tree, dodging calls and trying to get freebies! NOT! If cops are so overpaid, why do most of them have to take on second jobs to pay the bills and stay afloat? Sounds like you just have issues with cops in general-if you're so smart, why are you on a LEO website downing cops-don't have anything else better to do? You're probably one of the ones who speed and gets caught, but can't for the life of you understand why those harassing cops won't leave you alone-maybe because you are putting people's lives at risk and they're trying to protect them! Give them a break-they're just trying to do their jobs and deserve a little respect-as everyone does.

10-14-2006, 02:25 AM
First off, health insurance is NOT free. Yes, there might be a good benefit package, but it is not free. Secondly, please tell me where and what county gets 5% a year raise every year, and I'm there. It's much more than every now and then a cop dies on the job-do your research before you go mouthing off like you know it all. I never said that all LEO's are good-Yeah, there are some that sit around and do nothing and dodge calls, as you say. But there are plenty of people in many jobs that sit around and do nothing, but others that don't. Driving trucks, working at the 7-Eleven, whatever the job is, there's a risk you take, never said there wasn't. But I feel that a LEO should make more than the person who gives you a burger and fries out a window! You have plenty of cops who have more than a high school diploma, who are very intelligent and have alot of schooling, who have worked hard to do what they do and deserve a good paying job and not be underminded by idiots like you. No one said they were scared to be a cop, just that it's a risky job. Nor did I say other jobs aren't taking a risk either. But when your job is dealing with dumb a$$ people who think shooting cops is the answer, that's a risk that you take for your life and your family. How do you think the family of Matt Williams feels right now-they've lost a husband and a dad, guess he was just another cop sitting under a tree, dodging calls and trying to get freebies! NOT! If cops are so overpaid, why do most of them have to take on second jobs to pay the bills and stay afloat? Sounds like you just have issues with cops in general-if you're so smart, why are you on a LEO website downing cops-don't have anything else better to do? You're probably one of the ones who speed and gets caught, but can't for the life of you understand why those harassing cops won't leave you alone-maybe because you are putting people's lives at risk and they're trying to protect them! Give them a break-they're just trying to do their jobs and deserve a little respect-as everyone does.

10-14-2006, 12:15 PM

Hey you dumb a$$, cops take this job knowing they can be killed while attempting to make your life safer, not selling you a gallon of gas or a cup of coffee. They chose their "career" hoping to protect your freedom so you can post your dump a$$ response to this thread.

I know of very few people that get their 4 year degree and then make 7-11 their "career".......OMG you are such a dumb a$$.

10-14-2006, 02:51 PM

Let me correct a few of your points, son. Health insurance for your family costs $160. The county gives you an additional $160 a month to cover the expense. Therefore: free. And another thing, cops take on second jobs because they have no knowledge of how to manage their finances. In other words, they live outside of their means. It is not the problem of taxpayer to give you an even bigger raise than you already get because you have drowned yourself in debt. Which brings me to another point on the issue of raises: you get a 3.5% raise on your anniversary date and another COLA raise of typically 3.5% annually in December. That's an annual 7% raise. Not bad. As far as education, most cops DO only have a high school education. A few have went on further to get an easy, non-intellect degree in criminal justice. And then there are those of you that fraudulently obtain degrees online and try to pass them on as real. And what about LEOs that get pulled over for speeding? Do they get a ticket? Of course not. I guess when they break the law for speeding, they are not putting other people's lives at risk.

10-14-2006, 03:38 PM
Hey guys/girls, this latest poster is a twit with nothing better to do than try and rile us up. Let it go, because there's obviously some hostility there that no amount of arguing is going to fix.

Don't get me wrong, because it's a flippin' shame.... I'll also wager a guess that once this poster gets his car stolen/house burglarized/family victimized that he will still call for those people with badges and guns.. I'll also bet that he won't be shooting off his mouth while you're there doing your job taking the report, dusting for prints, calling for K9, or whatever.... he'll be all "thanks so much, deputy so-and-so! I appreciate it so much!"

Flippin' shame he can't just shut up and say that now.

10-14-2006, 05:11 PM
no *yawn*, "Allow me" is a dumb a$$ who thinks he knows everything. He still thinks we get a raise on our anniversary dates. He also does not know that those that are topped out can only get the old COLA, that we no longer get.

Yes, I vote for "Allow me" as the poster boy for being a dumb a$$. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

10-14-2006, 07:43 PM
Those of you who object to my pointing out that "risk" is insufficient justification for a pay raise responded to just about everything I DIDN'T SAY and failed to address my point.

Convenience store clerks get killed a lot more often than cops do. It's a RISKIER job for a lot less pay. Carrying on about education and factors other than risk go beyond the limited subject of my post; which was that bringing up the risk factor is NOT GOOD ENOUGH to justify a pay raise.

When you attack me, or what you perceive to be my attitudes, rather than address the point - you show a lack of intellectual rigor. I may grant that many of the things you say DO justify higher pay - I just say that risk is not one of them.

Now, let's address the post of "Allow me..." for a moment. He is wrong, of course to believe that health insurance is free. The county gives you a "cafeteria plan" stipend which you can spend on health insurance OR you can put it in your pocket. If you choose to do without health insurance you can SPEND the money on something else; or you can SPEND it on health insurance. (Military retirees who have second careers with the office have Tricore Insurance and do not use the stipend for county sponsored health insurance.)

On the other hand, "Allow me..." is correct that the reason for so many deputies "having to" work off duty is simply because they choose to live beyond their means. This used to be called "Keeping up with the Jones'. It is a bad practice.

And we all know that the idiot whose only contribution to the dialogue was "press hard five copies" is bereft of any cognitive skills whatsoever.

Oh, a note to "untruth": Just because I point out a lapse in someone's logic doesn't mean I'm anti-cop. I know what I'm talking about because I, too, wear the (silver) Star.

:!:

10-14-2006, 08:47 PM
Those of you who object to my pointing out that "risk" is insufficient justification for a pay raise responded to just about everything I DIDN'T SAY and failed to address my point.

Convenience store clerks get killed a lot more often than cops do. It's a RISKIER job for a lot less pay. Carrying on about education and factors other than risk go beyond the limited subject of my post; which was that bringing up the risk factor is NOT GOOD ENOUGH to justify a pay raise.

When you attack me, or what you perceive to be my attitudes, rather than address the point - you show a lack of intellectual rigor. I may grant that many of the things you say DO justify higher pay - I just say that risk is not one of them.

Now, let's address the post of "Allow me..." for a moment. He is wrong, of course to believe that health insurance is free. The county gives you a "cafeteria plan" stipend which you can spend on health insurance OR you can put it in your pocket. If you choose to do without health insurance you can SPEND the money on something else; or you can SPEND it on health insurance. (Military retirees who have second careers with the office have Tricore Insurance and do not use the stipend for county sponsored health insurance.)

On the other hand, "Allow me..." is correct that the reason for so many deputies "having to" work off duty is simply because they choose to live beyond their means. This used to be called "Keeping up with the Jones'. It is a bad practice.

And we all know that the idiot whose only contribution to the dialogue was "press hard five copies" is bereft of any cognitive skills whatsoever.

Oh, a note to "untruth": Just because I point out a lapse in someone's logic doesn't mean I'm anti-cop. I know what I'm talking about because I, too, wear the (silver) Star.

If you want to consider risk as one of the primary factors in one being deserving of a raise, a school teacher is much more deserving of a raise than a cop. They are grossly underpaid, and have to put up with crap from delinquents and their parents. They are assaulted, cursed, and everything else under the sun. Not to mention the school shootings and bomb threats. In addition to this, they have to try and educate these thugs with limited resources. Unlike you, they have no backup, guns, handcuffs or any authority to discipline them. They can't even look at them wrong without being held accountable. Plus, the job requires a 4 year degree. They make considerably less than you do. So you should try and count your blessings instead of sticking your hand out and constantly demanding more.

10-14-2006, 10:07 PM
Well, "And another thing....." quoted my post and then (accidently I hope) inserted his own comments - making it look like the last paragraph of the quote was my words. Those were not my words.

Hey, everyone wants to make more money. I BELIEVE COPS SHOULD MAKE MORE MONEY. (I am one.) ALL I said was that "risk" is not a good argument to make in justifying more pay - there are lots of riskier, and lower paid jobs.

Hint to "And another thing..." - When you start out with a quote from someone else's post, make sure you have the cursor OUTSIDE of the "end quote" mark {/quote} before you start typing your message.

Thanks.

:)

10-15-2006, 02:17 PM
Well, "And another thing....." quoted my post and then (accidently I hope) inserted his own comments - making it look like the last paragraph of the quote was my words. Those were not my words.

Hey, everyone wants to make more money. I BELIEVE COPS SHOULD MAKE MORE MONEY. (I am one.) ALL I said was that "risk" is not a good argument to make in justifying more pay - there are lots of riskier, and lower paid jobs.

Hint to "And another thing..." - When you start out with a quote from someone else's post, make sure you have the cursor OUTSIDE of the "end quote" mark {/quote} before you start typing your message.

Thanks.

Don't need your help, son.

10-15-2006, 03:26 PM

Thanks.

Don't need your help, son.

Well, clearly you DO need help since YOU DID IT WRONG!

:P :P :P

10-15-2006, 11:08 PM
Risk, you are conversing with a moron, probably a teacher. But to answer his comments about teachers, HOW ABOUT DOING YOUR JOB. Having put two through Hillsborough's finest teachers and one still in the process the last thing that they are concerned about is teaching. Yeah, I hear y'all, it because of the FCAT. BS, if they taught properly then the students would know the FCAT. Instead we have the NEA trying to drive political correctness to the point that no learning can ever take place.

And don't ask for help, sorry, they are to busy to call back or answer an email. This includes the administration.

And Mr. Moron, if the teachers have such a risky job, splain (sic) how so. If they earned respect then they wouldn't have to worry about being cursed at or and of the other suggestions that you made.

And Risk, he doesn't need any help. He is screwing up just fine, all on his own. :!: :?: :!: :idea:

10-16-2006, 12:48 AM
Statistics can be manipulated to favor any desired outcome. Perhaps some intrepid statistician can attempt to compare occupations by how many potentially dangerous situations a person knowingly place themselves in at the hands of other people. I believe the cops would win that contest hands down. Every domestic violence call, traffic stop, disturbance call, fight call and in progress crime call they respond to has the potential for disaster. The majority of statistics citing the most dangerous jobs only use deaths or grave bodily harm as their benchmark. The deaths and injuries associated with these statistics are the result of accidents, not violent acts on the part of others. Every cop has been the victim of a violent crime as the result of their occupation. Most have been victims on multiple occasions. Additionally LEO’s are consistently faced with chaotic and difficult dilemmas and are expected to solve those problems within a strict set of rules that often defy common sense. The reason that there have not been more fatalities among law enforcement officers is due in large part to their training and ability to face desperate situations in a safe professional manner. Don’t play the statistics card when downplaying the dangers faced by law enforcement officers; it won’t stand up under scrutiny.

10-16-2006, 06:07 PM
Statistics can be manipulated to favor any desired outcome.

That fact is precisely WHY it is not a valid argument to claim that police officers should receive more pay for being in a risky occupation. The public KNOWS that statistics can be manipulated.

Don’t play the statistics card when downplaying the dangers faced by law enforcement officers; it won’t stand up under scrutiny.

And, likewise don't play the risk card when trying to promote the belief there are greater dangers faced by law enforcement officers. It doesn't matter WHY they are killed less frequently than some other employment groups, the fact is that the death risks ARE lower.

THAT was the ONLY point of my first post in this thread.

10-16-2006, 09:51 PM
Please read and understand the post before you respond. Every LEO will be the victim of a violent crime as a result of their occupation. Every LEO knowingly faces dangerous situations on a daily basis and has tremendous responsibilities that can affect the lives of the people they encounter. Using statistics are invalid when comparing the death rates of various occupations and associating those stats with the danger level posed by the various vocations. There isn't a day that goes by that a LEO doesn’t risk his/her life or physical safety in the normal course of his/her duties. Those risks are posed by the hostile intent of other people, not by traffic crashes or malfunctioning farm equipment.
The only reason that the death rate among LEO's is relatively low as compared to other occupations is the training and professionalism that law enforcement brings to the job. A bad guy who has malevolent intent towards a cop who stops him or confronts him is often blocked in his efforts to kill or seriously injure the LEO by the tactics and training used by the good guy.
To make a statement that LEO's do not deserve a pay raise based on the statistical death rates of various occupations is ridiculous.
I believe that you are not arguing a point based on unbiased thought. I suspect that you have an agenda; the manner in which you cut and splice your words and the words of others to flavor your points clearly demonstrates your bias. You initially try to use statistics (more convenience store clerks are killed) to demonstrate that being a LEO isn't all that dangerous and that they do not deserve a pay raise, then when that argument is shot down you try to do a 180 and assert that statistics shouldn't be used to demonstrate the dangers of law enforcement. Then you claim it that it does and that the situations surrounding the cause of the occupants death doesn't matter. Since you now state that statistics should not be used to equate the dangers of being a LEO, on what experience and research do you base your contention that law enforcement is not as dangerous as the people who are in the profession (and who have first hand knowledge of its danger) claim? Claiming to wear a (Silver) star doesn’t suffice. Where do you work? What were your past assignments? How long have you been on the job? Once more, your argument will not stand up to scrutiny.

10-16-2006, 10:39 PM
This thread reminds me of what I always imagined the Dr. Hawkins vs. Dr. Woods supervision meetings must have been like. If you've ever seen the two of them in a meeting together then you know what I'm talking about. :roll:

10-17-2006, 03:12 PM
This thread reminds me of what I always imagined the Dr. Hawkins vs. Dr. Woods supervision meetings must have been like. If you've ever seen the two of them in a meeting together then you know what I'm talking about. :roll:

WELL SAID!

However, to the poster before you. HCSO Deputy. Patrol, Vice, Undercover, SOC, Speciality Team, some Aviation assignments - and never held rank. Always the silver star.

Have been shot at and have shot people. Have been attacked by people with knives. Have been in car crashes. Have seen friends die on the job.

When I respond to a quote I DO cut out the extraneous parts of the quote to show WHAT I am responding to. This does not indicate bias, but it concentrates the discussion.

I find it funny :P that when people like you are bested in an argument they always fall back on attacking the PERSON, not the LOGIC of the other side.

No matter how much you protest, the fact is that arguing RISK as a factor in advocating law enforcement pay increases is a losing position. By that (faulty) logic, how much should a combat soldier in Iraq be making today?

No, the fact is that for our educational level (I, too, have a "soft" college degree - not engineering, medicine or law) we are paid quite well. Which isn't to say that I wouldn't like to make more. But proposing that we get more money for "risk" isn't the way to go.

That has been my sole issue in this thread. I'm surprised that you take it so personally. Perhaps you overdramatize yourself or are excessively frightened by the demands of this career.

10-17-2006, 03:56 PM
Risk, you are right.

If the Sheriff is not satisfied with the quality of applicants then we must be asking for more money and/or perks because we want the highest quality applicants, and our competition for those applicants is TPD.

10-17-2006, 07:18 PM

I'm not exactly overjoyed at being equated with EITHER the cat lover OR the "educated idiot" (to use a term that Cal used in his first inaugural speech.)

:wink:

:P