PDA

View Full Version : RECENT PENSION NEGOTIATIONS

09-26-2006, 05:22 PM
I am usually the last person to post on LEOAFFAIRS but think this is a good platform to use. If you have not heard the recent contract negotiations are stalemated The city has offered a 4-3-3 and 2 year shift bid. This is an insult. I have spoken to many officers on my shift and realize this is a larger platform then just word of mouth in my district, on my cycle. If this proposal comes to vote we must stick together and vote NO. I am also asking that everyone take about a twenty minutes and compose a letter to the mayor on the city website to forward. Please be POLITE while doing this. I have copied and posted my letter below. Maybe if she receives 30 to 40 concerned officer letters she will see the negative impact of this contract proposal. Thanks for your time and efforts and BE SAFE.

Mayor Iorio;

I would like to start by saying I am a District 3 Police Officer and have been for some time. I am writing this letter to express my opinion on the recent contract negotiations. For the past three years I, along with the men and women of the Tampa Police Department have worked very hard to achieve the goals set forth by the Chief, and Mayor's office. This goal has been reached, and we are continuing to push forward. Everyday I come to work I see the differences in the neighborhoods I patrol. Lake Ave and 29th St. is a vast improvement over three years ago, Narcotic drug sales are not seen on the street corners as in the past, and crime is down by double digit percentages, these are just a few examples of the hard work and determination the Officers have put forth. It is almost unheard of to have a city of this size to register three years with the substantial drop in crime that has been reached. Cities of our size in our immediate area are all experiencing increases such as Orlando, St.Petersburg, Jacksonville. The city is a far safer place, and a better place to live on account of the Officers actions and dedication to crime reduction.

I am very disheartened by the City's recent proposal of a 4-3-3 percent increase over the next three years. This rate is an insult to the men and women who put on the uniform every day. There is a common disbelief amongst Officers that they are not going to be compensated for the hard work and efforts they have put forth in obtaining the recent crime reduction. I assure you that majority of the Officers will not pass a contract where they are prolonging the bid process, for such a low salary increase over the next three year contract. With the recent increases in Property tax, insurance, pension, and not to mention the standard of living increase of about 4.7%, Officers were breathing a sigh of relief thinking "This is our contract, we have done everything asked successfully, we should be compensated for the hard work and efforts taken." Instead Officers are questioning the motives behind the low rate offer by the city.

Myself, as most Officers enjoy the career we have chosen. Morale is high, and that is an important factor in having a city move forward. This has been proven time and time again (just ask Mayor Baker in St.Petersburg the impact moral has on a Police Department). I think this city has a great potential to move even further ahead.

In conclusion I would like to thank you for your time and attention to this matter and thank you for your past and future commitment and support of the men and women of the Tampa Police Department. I am aware that I am one voice, expressing my opinions toward this matter, But I assure you that I represent the majority regarding this issue.

Respectively,
District 3 Officer

09-26-2006, 09:48 PM
And this has what to do with 'recent pension negotiations'?