PDA

View Full Version : More to the shit bid process

09-25-2006, 04:16 PM
Don’t be surprised if there is more to the shift bid change then just the time frame. I have been told that the city wants to have more control over where officers work.

The talk is that you will list five spots you are willing to work in; the city will put you in one of your choices.

We need to get this cleared up before any vote.

09-25-2006, 04:49 PM
Hopefully this is not the case, If it is true that is a deal breaker its an automatic no regardless of what else is in the proposal.

09-25-2006, 05:23 PM
That is probably a bad rumour.
If it is true, they couldnt pay me 10-10-10-
I will Fight Fight Fight
That is like playing Russian Roulette with a Six Shooter and you put four bullets in the gun, one blank and one simunition round!!!!!

09-25-2006, 08:04 PM
Any Change to shift bid is an automatic NO VOTE !!!

09-25-2006, 08:40 PM
Even those of us not subject to shift bid at this point in time need to vote NO on a change like this. It may not affect us right this moment but it sure could sometime in the future.

09-25-2006, 09:02 PM
There is nothing wrong with the shift bid process. City wants to use the excuse "better for community policing", and "it is an administrative nightmare".

First off, crime is way down, so the community policing argument does not carry water. However, I think that staff attributes alot to the crime reduction by "better utilization of department resources", and not the average officer who works hard every day to make a difference.

Second, It is an administrative nightmare because there have been imcompetant people running the shift bid in the past that did not know how to read the contract(last year ran smooth, so that does not apply) . Go by the rules and there will be no problem. As far as some Sgts being left with NO ONE on their squad at the end of shift bid, that is an issue staff needs to address. It is amazing those same Sgts always have openings on their squad and never get the hint.

Leave the shift bid alone. All I know if they do try and change bid, There better be a large raise coming for the contrct to pass. Thast is the only way the city will get a longer bid, and I do not mean a 5,5,5.

09-25-2006, 10:02 PM
According to the last post on the Pba web site, the negotiations this afternoon were a" total waste of time".

Does anybody know who the represenatives are on the city's side that are from TPD. I would like to know so when those people tell us your "Doing a good job, keep up the great work" I can know they are speaking out of both sides of their mouths.

This is going to get interesting. What an Insult!!!!!!!!!!

09-26-2006, 02:29 AM
I've been told that Bennett and Castor face off against Durkin. But please remember the Mayor pulls the strings. Staff is always talking out of both sides of their mouths. It's arbitration time folks.

09-26-2006, 07:04 AM
Major Bennett, A/Chief Wright, A/Chief Castor and Sarah Lang are the City team.

Major Bennett actually argued that we would be better off eliminating the shift bid all together. He said Management could accomodate employees better without the constrictions of a shift bid based on seniority.

4 more days and we will know whether the City likes its cops or if they just like saying they like their cops.

09-26-2006, 02:40 PM
Major Bennett, A/Chief Wright, A/Chief Castor and Sarah Lang are the City team.

Major Bennett actually argued that we would be better off eliminating the shift bid all together. He said Management could accomodate employees better without the constrictions of a shift bid based on seniority.

4 more days and we will know whether the City likes its cops or if they just like saying they like their cops.

Now I like Bennett, but when was the last time he had to walk into a shift bid and worried about where he was going to work.

This bid process change does not just effect me, it effects my wife and my kids. The reason we have seniority is so later in our careers an officer can have a decent choice of where they want to work, when and with whom. Why can’t a bunch of people who have not been on the streets in a long time understand this?

09-26-2006, 03:30 PM
novoter wrote "This bid process change does not just effect me, it effects my wife and my kids. The reason we have seniority is so later in our careers an officer can have a decent choice of where they want to work, when and with whom. Why can’t a bunch of people who have not been on the streets in a long time understand this?"

They do understand, but they DON"T CARE !!!!!!!! Didn't you know this ?

09-26-2006, 04:20 PM
I too like Bennett. However, this is a guy who has not been in patrol since he made CPL!

He was a Cpl and the Chief's asst.

Then made Sgt and stayed there.

Then made Lt and went to SOD.

Then made Cpt and stayed in SOD.

Then made Maj and stay in SOD (SIMI).

I think the world of him, but he is off base here based on him not being there in a while.