PDA

View Full Version : Vote down any changes in the shift bid process!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

09-22-2006, 08:19 PM
Why should we give up a negotiated benifiet that we already have. This is insane!!!! Also a 5,5,5, raise is what we need.

09-22-2006, 09:09 PM
I'M SO TIRED OF THE 3-3-3, 5-3-3, ETC. ETC.

ENOUGH ALREADY. THE CITY HAS $$$ EVERYBODY KNOWS IT.

5-5-5
3 HOURS FOR COURT
INCREASE IN LONG. BONUS
INCREASE IN SHIFT DIF.
INCREASE IN F.T.O. PAY
1 YEAR BID

OR VOTE NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :evil:

09-22-2006, 11:25 PM
No change in shift bid,

09-23-2006, 08:48 PM
Negotiation 101, EVERYONE should know that you NEVER give back a benefit once you have it.

09-23-2006, 11:08 PM
DO NOT RATIFY VOTE NO NNOO NNNOOO

09-24-2006, 01:25 AM
I was checking out the PBA site to see if there might be some update to the negotiations. Several people asked some pertinent questions only to be chastised by the Administrator of the board. We elect board members to keep us informed, yet they do not answer questions. All they will say is nothing, or you could have joined on the committee.

I do not believe that every member can be in on the negotiations. We elect the board members as our representatives, and to keep us informed. Our membership can speak volumes when we all stand as one. If every one of us peons would go in and say we want to cancel our membership, then I think they might start to listen and grasp the idea that they represent "US". We pay them and they work for us. Not the other way around. We can do without them, they can't do without us.

As for shift bid. Don't vote for a longer time period. If Management can't get it right after all these years, then by the grievances they will. If they can't keep track of problem officers then again that is their problem. It is so easy to pass the documentation to the next supervisor if they were really concerned with addressing a problem. Seems to be just an excuse.

As for the pay. You would be stupid to vote for anything less than 5,5,5. With pension increases, cost of living, health insurance, property insurance, taxes and everything else, then you might want to try to make at least enough to make up the difference.

Why are we not being compensated for all twelve holidays like the rest of the city? Why are we not receiving at least 3 hours of time for court or even being on stand by? Why don't people that are "on call" get compensated for having to wait around and adjust their way of life during their on call period?

These are just a few of the things that should be looked at. It seems as if the PBA is not looking to benefit the members as a whole, and are only doing what the City will allow them to do.

For those of you that were not around 10 years ago. We once voted to approve a contract with a "0" that is ZERO percent wage increase for one year. We also voted to work 10 hour 40 minute shifts, but not get paid for 40 minutes of it. That was to be our meal break. You were still subject to call, and could still only go T-10 at certain times. If you didn't get to take T-10, you were to fill out an overtime slip, and then your supervisor had to look over your shift to see if you had the oppurtunity to go T-10.

When this contract is finally presented to us, do not believe that it is the best that there is to offer. Make our representatives do their job and represent us as they are required to do. And do not ever again vote to approve a contract that has a future benefit, if another entity approves something. Remember the 3.5% multiplier? That contract was approved based on the Legislature approving it. Kind of hard for them to have looked at the bill when it was never presented to them. Once again, our PBA at work.

09-24-2006, 12:56 PM
Try again...

The PBA website has answered every question and has not chastised anyone. It is not proper to negotiate on this (or any other) board so the PBA won't do it. Just like it is improper for staff to be going around crying poor it wouldn't be proper for the PBA going around telling what the members will or won't accept. Talk like that would be considered an unfair labor practice.

If you don't like the final contract, vote it down and we will go back to the table. Remember though that negotiations are a two-way transaction and neither side ever gets everything they want.

09-24-2006, 07:36 PM
I agree with you about the boards. HOWEVER, the P.B.A. has a bad reputation concerning keeping the members informed.

Whats wrong with going to roll calls, whats wrong with answering questions, when a member shows up at the P.B.A.'s office, whats wrong with answering a question over the phone?

Typical answers: We don't know, can not tell you, I'll get back to you or I'll look into it (3 months later, you are still waiting for an answer), etc, etc, etc.

So, stop your B.S.

09-24-2006, 10:40 PM
When the p.b.a suddenyl had more officers working there then it had cars, they had a unique problem, At that time they went to the chief and told him that they would like a couple cars that were going to be taken out of service. The chief told them he would like a two year shift bid. This conversation took place almost two years ago, if VERY GOOD sources are to be believed.... VERY GOOD...

Here we are two years later..... The citys first offer: 3 year shift bid.... the pbas counter (p.s. no one in the pba shiftbids) was to immediately give up our already esablished one year bid and counter with 18 months... Now when the citys next counter offer is two years... and the pba takes it and says "Hey we met in the middle" I want someone to ask me how long I have been a psychic.

PATROL OFFICERS - We are the largest chunk of this department, I have very little doubt the citys next offer will be some where around 5 - 5 - 5 with a two year shift bid, DONT TAKE IT, Dont take an 18 month shift bid, Don't take a shift bid that goes for 366 days, this begins an erosion of a very sound benifit. The city is going to try to lure our brothers upstairs who don't shift bid, WE MUST STAND TOGETHER IN PATROL and VOTE NO to any contract that entertains an extended shift bid. Remember this, you may love your squad, your area, your hours, etc etc etc. But tommorrow your Sergeant gets promoted, retired, takes a specialty squad, is moved for a "Department Need" etc etc etc ... Now you get the Sergeant that was just promoted for all the wrong reasons, and YOU WILL BE STUCK THERE FOR MORE THEN A YEAR.... Use your head here fellas, were all pretty smart. If the fire department got 5-5-5 to exercise on duty and wash their own vehicles... whats the city saying about our worth when they offer us even less ?

CRIME IS DOWN, FIRES ARE UP !!!!

Good Luck!

09-25-2006, 06:17 AM
1) Just counting in my head I can come up with almost half of the PBA board that are in patrol and therefore shift bid. Quit exaggerating the truth.

2) The city asked for a 2 year shift bid last contract...and had nothing to do with surplus equipment.

3) The PBA thought it made more sense (fiscally) to fix up 3 old City cars than to keep paying employees and board members for their mileage at the IRS rate OR buy 3 new cars (that we could all pay for).

09-25-2006, 06:33 AM
How about...

Major's pay for every rank below Major

MPO after 2 years

Reverse seniority

$1,000 per year longevity bonus

20% of all ticket revenue

New unmarked Escalades every 2 years with Staff privileges

Eligible for promotion after FTO, test score based on DOR averages

Aircraft and boat use privileges, unlimited of course

Satelite phone with unlimited personal usage

Casual "Fridays" three days per week, uniforms optional

Earn 3 vacation days for every day worked

09-25-2006, 06:45 AM
The backbone of any department is patrol. Plain and simple. Anything more then a one year shift bid and I am voting no. They could come at me with 6,6,6, and I will still vote no if the bid is changed.

It is not my fault that some D3 Sgt's can't get people to come work for them.

Three year bid, I have seen a Cpl to to a LT in that time along with Ofc's going to Sgt. They are kidding themselves.

09-25-2006, 02:55 PM
I posted a lenghty text yesterday, mentioned no one by name, and used no foul language, I look today and see that it is gone, what gives?

09-25-2006, 03:00 PM
My appolgies to the admin, I see what happened to that post now, my fault keep up the great work!

To the guy that says a great number fo the pba board shift bid look again, everyone assigned there is on the neg. comm. and they sure dont shift bid, and when I talk about shift bid im not talking about sergeants and cpls, I'm talking about the hard working back breaking, real risk takers on patrol who go from call to call, lower crime, skip meals, work on reports on their days off and now are going to lose the benifit of a one year shift bid... Do I think the PBA was wrong to get three cars from the city ? NO was it wrong to entertain the loss of a benifit so they could have three cars ? HELL YES

09-25-2006, 03:23 PM
Shift bib was a benefit we voted on and won years ago. Why in the world would we give it back, and more to the point Why Would the PBA even discuss it with the city............blackmail or backroom deals come to mind since there is no other legit reason.

It doesn't matter whatever else is offered, if they plan to take away something we already have I VOTE NO !

09-25-2006, 04:30 PM
You are a fool if you "choose" to miss meal breaks AND "choose" to write reports at home. If you are truly too busy at work to finish it, let your supervisor know. Obviously, you don't have to worry about getting transferred if you participate in shift bid so there is NO legitimate excuse for working for FREE.

09-25-2006, 05:28 PM
That below excerpts from the previous post is the best I have ever seen!!!!

PATROL OFFICERS - We are the largest chunk of this department, I have very little doubt the citys next offer will be some where around 5 - 5 - 5 with a two year shift bid, DONT TAKE IT, Dont take an 18 month shift bid, Don't take a shift bid that goes for 366 days, this begins an erosion of a very sound benifit. The city is going to try to lure our brothers upstairs who don't shift bid, WE MUST STAND TOGETHER IN PATROL and VOTE NO to any contract that entertains an extended shift bid. Remember this, you may love your squad, your area, your hours, etc etc etc. But tommorrow your Sergeant gets promoted, retired, takes a specialty squad, is moved for a "Department Need" etc etc etc ... Now you get the Sergeant that was just promoted for all the wrong reasons, and YOU WILL BE STUCK THERE FOR MORE THEN A YEAR.... Use your head here fellas, were all pretty smart. If the fire department got 5-5-5 to exercise on duty and wash their own vehicles... whats the city saying about our worth when they offer us even less ?

CRIME IS DOWN, FIRES ARE UP !!!!

Plus, I have a Fire raging on the inside!!!!! :evil: :twisted:
Vote NO

Jeff Gray
09-26-2006, 05:19 AM
The shift bid does not affect me. However I will vote no for anything over one year. It's just something I don't believe we should give up. JMHO.

09-26-2006, 06:32 AM
We need everyone to stick together on this. Even if this has no effect on you now, it might down the road.

Anything more then a one year bid needs to be voted down.

09-26-2006, 12:29 PM
My appolgies to the admin, I see what happened to that post now, my fault keep up the great work!

To the guy that says a great number fo the pba board shift bid look again, everyone assigned there is on the neg. comm. and they sure dont shift bid, and when I talk about shift bid im not talking about sergeants and cpls, I'm talking about the hard working back breaking, real risk takers on patrol who go from call to call, lower crime, skip meals, work on reports on their days off and now are going to lose the benifit of a one year shift bid... Do I think the PBA was wrong to get three cars from the city ? NO was it wrong to entertain the loss of a benifit so they could have three cars ? HELL YES