PDA

View Full Version : College Degrees

09-17-2006, 01:11 AM
Ok, for the 2nd time now the local mullet warps have written articles about the "College Degree Investigation" that is on going at HCSO. Seems we may be up to 3 employees reporting that they earned a degree and then turned in the paperwork to receive extra money. Rumor has it that the numbers will go much higher. My question is this.....when will the news media ask how has this happened? When will the media ask the Administration how could you let this happen? Does HR do nothing to verify the degree, or do they just send in the paper work that allowed these employees to get the extra pay. At some point in time the Sheriff has got to look at those that he has allowed to supervise this section and ask himself does he need to make a change?

Sheriff Gee, you have told the patrol and detention deputies that you want the highest standards possible for this Office. Is it not time to start setting an example by looking at those closest to you?

09-17-2006, 01:42 AM
Apparently, he did do something about it in case you didnt read far enough.
He FIRED him.
One down, more to go.
Liars and cheats need to go.

09-17-2006, 02:43 AM
Yup, he fired him. But what about those that work in HR and did nothing in the way of checking if the degree was valid. Do you not think there is some blame here for how the administration let this happen? Was it not just several years ago that the Office sent out a list of College where we would not except the degree? Someone dropped the ball as to looking the degrees already turned into the Office, and those that were turned in later. Did not one person check to see if the degrees that were turned in were valid?

The person that turned in the degree is at vault, but so is the management for not having a check and balance system in place...............or do we have one and it just was not followed?

09-17-2006, 07:08 AM
What is the name of the accreditation that is acceptable? Surely some of the online "degrees" are easier to (buy) obtain than other traditional in class degrees, at traditional Universities (USF,UF,FSU,etc.).

09-17-2006, 01:50 PM
How about you let them make their own bad decisions and then they have to take responsibility??
Isnt that what he is doing?
Are you telling me that they dont know the difference between USF and the University of life experience?
Come on.

09-17-2006, 03:38 PM
I guess it is called no accountabilty after you make rank.

09-17-2006, 08:45 PM
They fired them didn't they?
Are you a democrat?
Always looking for a problem to be someone elses fault?

09-18-2006, 01:56 AM
They fired them didn't they?
Are you a democrat?
Always looking for a problem to be someone elses fault?

No I am not a demcrat. And they should be gone. But what is so wrong with looking at the system to see why it failed or what can be done to make sure it doesn't fail again.

My God, what are they doing there when one applies for a job and says they have no arrest record? Do they believe them and move onto the next step in the hiring process? If an applicant says they were never the subject of an IA investigation, do they take the applicant for their word? Is the process/policy there to trust you, and we will not look at you unless someone else brings it to our attention?

09-19-2006, 12:53 AM
How else are they going to get people to work in government jobs.
Look away blindly, pretend to be deaf, and forget you heard anything.

Centurion
09-29-2006, 02:38 AM
What is the name of the accreditation that is acceptable? Surely some of the online "degrees" are easier to (buy) obtain than other traditional in class degrees, at traditional Universities (USF,UF,FSU,etc.).

Interesting comment on a couple of points. First, if you want to know what is an acceptable accreditation check the SOP. It is clearly spelled out.

Second you harangue online degrees, and list several universities that you feel are credible. Every one of the universities that you list offer online programs! Does this make them "incredible" or "un-credible"?

Whether you get a degree online or via traditional classroom the format is not the issue, the university is. It needs to be regionally accredited. As someone who has completed advanced work in both traditional and online formats from regionally accredited universities, I have found that legitimate programs are more difficult in an online format. The advantage is more flexibility for shifting schedules. The point is: just do it! Whatever works for you, get it done!

Be safe out there!