PDA

View Full Version : Sept 14th, 2006 FOP Counter Proposal

09-16-2006, 06:51 PM
On Thursday, Sept 14th, the Labor Board delivered our counter proposal to the Mayors Office
In summary, our proposal mirrored our 1st proposal with slight changes
1. Wages - 21%(8%, 7%, 6%)
2. Multiplier - 3.5% for all years of service (Min 20)
3. COLA - 2.5% starting 5 years after retirement. Any time served in the DROP shall subtract from the 5 year waiting period
- Terminate the $10 supplement
- Effective 10/01/07, medical supplement will increase to $500 month. Bargaining unit members currently in the DROP are eligible
4. Details - Effective 10/01/06 increase to $25/hour
Effective 10/01/07 increase to $27/hour
Effective 10/01/08 increase to $28/hour
These are without adm fees included
Supervisor rates would also be increase proportionally
5. Annual Leave - Return to levels from 2000 contract
6. Sick Leave - Drop 1st contract proposal

The city has scheduled a private meeting between the Mayor and Council for Thursday, Sept 21st to again discuss our proposal.
Well keep you updated as we recieve more information.

09-17-2006, 02:48 PM
Hey
does anyone have the details of rumors flying around the pd, in regards to 12 hour shifts, disolvement of specialized units, and ending details till the amount of hires is up again?
My other question.. Joe I know this should have been brought up at the meeting, but I beleive no matter how much you raise the detail pay, they're going to pay, why cant we raise this rate to say $ 30.00 hr? I really dont think we'll lose anyone. If you compare to what BSO and Ft.Lauderdale make, its not smart business.
Its no question that top out deputies and Ft.laud officers are making well over 100,000 when you combine their detail and overtime pay.

09-17-2006, 10:12 PM
oh great... someone said BSO...

09-18-2006, 02:48 PM
Mayor Armstrong's quote in the news: "We know everybody wants reasonable salaries for all of our work force. I am struggling for it for the guys who mow the yard."

I wonder why she can't struggle for us?

09-18-2006, 10:56 PM
Hey
does anyone have the details of rumors flying around the pd, in regards to 12 hour shifts, disolvement of specialized units, and ending details till the amount of hires is up again?
My other question.. Joe I know this should have been brought up at the meeting, but I beleive no matter how much you raise the detail pay, they're going to pay, why cant we raise this rate to say $ 30.00 hr? I really dont think we'll lose anyone. If you compare to what BSO and Ft.Lauderdale make, its not smart business.
Its no question that top out deputies and Ft.laud officers are making well over 100,000 when you combine their detail and overtime pay.

As far as dissolving specialized units, there has been no talk of that with the union or suspending details
There is talk of 12 hour shifts if the mass exodus appears and there is a sever sahortage on the road....but right now, it hasnt been talked about with the union
As part of our counterproposal, we proposed to raise the detail rate as follows:
10/2006 - $25/hour
10/2007 - $27/hour
10/2008 - $29/hour

09-19-2006, 12:27 AM
Mayor Armstrong's quote in the news: "We know everybody wants reasonable salaries for all of our work force. I am struggling for it for the guys who mow the yard."

I wonder why she can't struggle for us?
Mayor. "Cause frankly my dear I dont give a D**M about you!!!
cause its all about the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ $$$$$. That I'm going to save not paying you!

09-19-2006, 12:43 AM
Joe could you also clear up the whispers of BSO. There is alot of talk and I use that term loosely, about just having BSO take over. Talk of retiring in Plantation's system and doing BSO for a few years. I guess that applies to the guys with close to 20 years now. But the young guys are talking about it too.

Also, didn't someone across the street say "just because your friends drive nice cars doesn't mean you will." Referring to our pay compared to everyone else.

09-19-2006, 03:12 AM
Joe could you also clear up the whispers of BSO. There is alot of talk and I use that term loosely, about just having BSO take over. Talk of retiring in Plantation's system and doing BSO for a few years. I guess that applies to the guys with close to 20 years now. But the young guys are talking about it too.

Also, didn't someone across the street say "just because your friends drive nice cars doesn't mean you will." Referring to our pay compared to everyone else.

Firstly, the union nor the city in no way shape or form advocates a takeover by BSO. That is the last thing we want. There will always be rumorist out there. Just yesterday I heard from the fire side that they heard Jenne was at the rally and that BSO is taking over Rescue. All unfounded rumors.

The car comment was this....."You know, when youre growing up, you want as your first car a BMW, but sometimes, your parents can only afford a Chevy." This quote was in relation to our pay and benefits. It was said to us in a one on one meeting with an elected offical.

There is always going to be rumors and speculation with these proposals.

The facts are this.....
- Both sides are still COMMITTED to negotiating
- The Mayor and Council are meeting in a 2nd closed door mtg on Thursday about our contract (Unprecedented I might add and a good sign)
- The Labor Board and city will meet on Mon for their counterpropsal

Lets keep the faith, stay united and be positive

09-19-2006, 03:53 AM
PLANTATION · The battle between the city and the police union over an unresolved union contract, which will expire in a few weeks, is going public and getting nasty.

On Thursday night, the Fraternal Order of Police formed a public relations committee, which is vowing to take signature petitions to the public demanding the city offer a better compensation package. Next on the list of threats: a boycott of the city's golf course and bringing in recruiters from other agencies.

LocalLinks

Earlier in the week, Michael Hanlon, the union president, told the City Council it was about to "destroy" the department.

"This is a warning," Hanlon said, as more than 100 officers and their spouses sat in the audience Wednesday night wearing FOP T-shirts. "The captain of the Titanic thought his ship was unsinkable one minute before it hit the iceberg."

Union leaders are asking for changes such as a 7 percent pay raise each of the next three years of the contract. On Sept. 6, the city proposed a 6 percent raise the first year, then 4 percent the second and third years of the contract.

"The union's problem with that is we are so far behind, it leaves a veteran officer [thousands of dollars] below his contemporaries everywhere else," Hanlon said.

He said the city's proposal makes it harder for officers to reach the top pay, extending the time frame to 12 years when the average is 7.5 years.

Mayor Rae Carole Armstrong said she couldn't delve into contract specifications while talks continue.

"But the statements that Michael Hanlon made are completely inaccurate," she said.

"They did not in any way, shape or form characterize the offer made by the city. That was not the appropriate setting to make statements like that. I've dealt with the FOP for two contract negotiations previously. None of them were adversarial and I don't appreciate, nor do I intend to start, any kind of adversarial relationship at this point.

"There is a fair and responsible position that works for the city and works for the FOP," Armstrong said. "It simply takes reasonable minds to get there."

The sides are also sparring over retirement pension benefits and the cost-of-living adjustment for retirement.

In a counter-proposal delivered Thursday, the union changed its raise demands to 8 percent the first year, then 7 percent the second year, followed by 6 percent the third year.

Hanlon said he isn't willing to budge much more.

"This proposal is leading you on a road to destroying your police department," he told the council.

"I don't think the public is going to be in favor of the city spending $22 million on stuff like golf course and parks and refusing to pay its police the same benefits everyone else gets," he said.

Armstrong said petitions would be unfair.

"You'll see my signature on the top line if it says, `Do you support the Plantation Police Department,'" she said. "They are wasting their time doing that; we don't argue with that.

"Certainly there are better ways to use their time," she said. "We know everybody wants reasonable salaries for all of our work force. I am struggling for it for the guys who mow the yard. We're all on the same page on that front."

Well Joe lets hope they get their heads out of thier arses, and get a grip on reality.... 13 years to top out and oh for the elected official, I guess Ive been driving a chevy for the past 13 years.. To him or her, get a history lesson!

09-20-2006, 03:13 PM
....."You know, when youre growing up, you want as your first car a BMW, but sometimes, your parents can only afford a Chevy." That's fine, but why do we have to get around on roller skates?????

09-21-2006, 08:37 PM
The Labor Board is trying to do the impossible, and we are very proud of them. We must stay united or we will lose the battle and the war.

09-21-2006, 10:27 PM
The Labor Board is trying to do the impossible, and we are very proud of them. We must stay united or we will lose the battle and the war.

I AGREE, LET'S HANG IN THERE, WE ARE ONE!!!!!!!!!!!

09-22-2006, 12:23 AM
Just wanted to say Thank You for everyones kind comments and support throughout this negotiations
Very true, lets stay united and we can accompplish the impossible

09-22-2006, 10:52 AM
I must agree. This labor board has been working hard. I too stand behind them and the FOP in hopes for a contract we've all deserved.

However, I am curious, IF the City does not budge or does not meet our expectations, what are our alternatives? In a post earlier, you said BSO is not an option. Not that I am in favor of a takeover, but if we have nothing to be proud of in our next contract, at no fault of you guys, then what do we do?

I know there are pros & cons to a takeover, one being that we would go up 9% without contributions. And for those that are able to retire in the Plantation system could do six years with BSO and retire with a second pension.

Just curious

09-22-2006, 01:16 PM
Firstly, like Ive posted, the FOP is committed to negotiating until the cows come home
Remember, were the ones who want to work
Neither side has even hinted toward an impasse or break down in negotiations.
As far as BSO is concerned, there are alot of factors, ie: something we would want, something the city wants, and most of all, is it something the citizens want. Also, Id have to read the city charter because in some instances, it has to go to a citizens referendum to dissolve the PD.
The FOP Labor Board has a full contingency plan (Train Wreck SOP if you will) if after, and its a big if, they fail that we will implement.
As far as devulging it here, I cant but if and when the time presents itself, we will notifiy the membership becuase we will need your assistance.
Keep the Faith

09-24-2006, 03:55 PM
The last we need right now is a BSO takeover. They've got more problems than we do. Besides, the Mayor would never give up control of the P.D. Give the Labor a chance . They're the best we've ever had.

09-24-2006, 04:20 PM
You are right about the Mayor would never give up HER PPD. The city would lose a huge budget to draw from. I agree though, it's not October 1st and the labor board is working hard. I won't give up on them, but I also agree with the earlier posts. What will we do if we don't get a decent proposal? Bottom line, what if we continue to have to work below everyone else?

Even if we get everything we ask for, doesn't that put us near or at the bottom again in three years? At least 21% over those three years are good and the COLA.

I am not one of those who has talked about leaving for better pastures if we don't get a good deal from the City. But I have never been so close to feeling like looking at what others have to offer.

09-25-2006, 12:18 AM
Let’s all just remember to place our frustrations where they belong and not send them inwards towards the PD itself. For the most part our internal grumblings are minor. This is not the PD doing this to us it’s the city. What we accomplish today will make everyone up the ladder stronger for tomorrow.

09-25-2006, 04:25 AM
Please post regarding the meeting today with the City.

09-29-2006, 02:29 AM
I guess we'll have to do the same as Miami PD. All is quite and thats the way the city would like it. Im ready where's my sign!

09-30-2006, 05:00 AM
This is really getting depressing. By the time the city opens for business on Tuesday, it will be October 3rd. Guess we don't have a contract.

Please at least update us Joe, even if there isn't much new. Alot of rumors are floating from the meeting the other day, such as lower percentage in the raise and lower Cola, which almost didn't even happen.

Personally, I feel we need to stick to our guns for a decent percentage raise. We asked for 21% over three years and that only puts us AVERAGE with others. If we lower it, then we will here three years from now saying "we are in last place in every category." Heck, probably in two years! Enough is enough.

This is the time for us to get a contract that WE ALL deserve and have deserved in years past.

You guys on the board are working hard, but PLEASE don't give up or give in! Some of us still enjoy working at PPD and don't plan on leaving or can't.

09-30-2006, 05:39 PM
Sorry for not updating recently but I was out of town this week and just got back
As far as Monday was concerned, the Labor Board was in a 8 hour negotiating session
A total of 7 offers by both sides were presented
The meeting ended on a positive note with the citys 4th offer on the table
The citys number crunchers and pension actuary have to look at specifics
Both sides are still committed to working to finalize the best deal possible
Your Labor Board in no way shape or form will accept a sub standard contract......period!!!! So no worries there
As far as specifics, at this point we do not want to put it out to the membership just yet....reason being is that we have some negotiating things that still need to be done
Since October 1 is now upon us....YES, you will be working without a new contract but WILL be working under the OLD contract
Essentially what that means is that any benefits you recieve now will continue until the new contract is signed. The step raises are still in effect. The only raises that are not in effect is the customary, October 1st merit increases. Everything else is in effect...ie: longevity, etc.
We still have faith that we will get this done.
We will be putting out more specific info this week as far as any counter offers, etc

10-03-2006, 11:00 AM
Is it true that Lauderhill just got their contract with $69,000 at 7 years. 3% Cola and full medical insurance for individual after retirement???? If it is, I guess Lauderhill is in a whole new light. Are we taking their place now?

10-03-2006, 11:03 AM
Didn't the mayor make a comment about Lauderhill when we first started negotiating?

10-04-2006, 02:45 AM
UPDATE

As of today, we still have not received a counter offer back from the city from last Mondays 8 hour session
As such, we are still anxiously awaiting their reply and what THEY....the city would like to do
The ball is totally in their court....
We...and you...the members have been patient since we started this process in April/2006
We know it sucks working without a contract and getting our cost of living raises!!!!
The Labor Board will notify you ASAP if any info is received and what our PLAN OF ACTION is going to be
Please stay committed and willing to help if the situation arises

10-04-2006, 02:49 AM
By the way.....
The actual comment was...."You wouldnt want to work in Lauderhill...would you??? Its a priviledge to work in Plantation"

Some priviledge....
Lowest pay & benefits, one of the highest pension contributions, have to buy your own equipment, substandard issued equipment, no computers, and the list goes on and on

10-05-2006, 09:49 PM
From the Miami Herald

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Posted on Thu, Oct. 05, 2006

MIAMI
Officers to picket Carnival Center's opening
Frustrated with contract negotiations, Miami police officers with the Fraternal Order of Police will stage a protest during tonight's opening of the Carnival Center for the Performing Arts.
BY DAVID OVALLE
dovalle@MiamiHerald.com

Miami police officers will step up their protests over stalled contract negotiations by picketing tonight's grand opening of the Carnival Center for the Performing Arts.

The department's Fraternal Order of Police maintains that pay is so low that many officers are taking jobs elsewhere, leaving too many vacancies and endangering public safety.

Officers also worry that a proposed move to the state pension system may mean less benefits for future retirees.

WEEK OF PROTESTS

The protest comes about a week after hundreds of officers and supporters marched on Miami City Hall. A few days before that, union supporters picketed outside a conference of elected officials sponsored by Miami Mayor Manny Diaz.

Union president Armando Aguilar said the protest is necessary because the city is unwilling to compromise. The performing arts center is a valid venue for the protest, he said, because more police manpower will be required to protect the additional people drawn to the area.

''It's not fair to the police department,'' Aguilar said.

Mayor Diaz blasted the union for its decision to picket the center's opening.

`INAPPROPRIATE'

''I think it's totally inappropriate. It's going to be a historic night in the history of South Florida,'' Diaz said. ``I just think it sends a wrong message.''

When it comes to negotiations, Diaz stressed, the union and the city ''are on much more common ground'' than many think.

Officers will protest between 5 and 8 p.m.

Meanwhile, the department itself will be responsible for making sure traffic flows around the Carnival Center.

The protest already has been incorporated into plans for security and traffic duty, a Miami police spokesman said.