PDA

View Full Version : Question From another Agency

09-11-2006, 09:42 PM
Hello TPD, I am coming from another agency and would like to know what a typical shift would be like for a new hire. Are you guys on the go constantly, do you get some down time to type reports, and are the reports more condensed if you guys are constantly active with calls? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

09-11-2006, 10:39 PM
When you finish FTO they will put you wherever they need a body, most likely midnights. There are some people that luck out and get days or afternoon shift. Midnight shifts usually are either 1900-0630 or 2000 to 0730. Once you are off probation you can shift bid yearly. Your first few years expect to only be able to bid to a midnight shift until you have a few years seniority.

09-11-2006, 10:46 PM
Remember the old saying: "Real cops work nights!"

:D

09-12-2006, 05:11 AM
Remember to what alot of people tell you often......

"YOU'RE A SQUIRRELL"

....ROOKIES!!!

09-12-2006, 02:14 PM
Yeah real cops work at night...Dayshift cops just have to clean up the sig 21's and sig. 25's that the nightshift ignored because they want to arrest the guy with the 2 grams of weed... Keep up the good work "real cops"

09-12-2006, 02:20 PM
Thank you for the replies, but what is the ops tempo like TPD? Do you guys get some down time to type reports or are you constantly "go, go, go?" Reason why I am asking this is because at my agency it starts out busy and then gets real busy. I would say at about 0130, it's time to change modes and go into more like a security mode; like looking for out for businesses and catching up on paper work from the sig 4's, and couple of 31, 38's you encountered through the night. Please keep the feed back coming....... :)

09-13-2006, 04:57 AM
We have times on all shifts were we are slammed. However, I work late mids and why at times it is busy, there is plenty of time to do proactive patrol. If we get slammed real bad and if you have a good squad, usually we take care of each other so no one is down paper by the end of our workweek. Usually most routine reports can wait till the end of next shift to be written. If it is a Robbery, Sex Battery, Etc.... those have to be written the same day by the end of shift.

The climate here now is for everyone to do something proactive. However, we have far too many junior officers who feel traffic tickets are just as important as putting a Burglar in jail. There have been plenty of in-progress crimes where my squad has arrested the suspect during this year.

Since I keep track of my stats, here was my workload for the past week.

7 Criminal reports

6 FI's

9 Citations

5 Arrests

That is the over 4 days, 11.5 hour per shift.

09-13-2006, 06:27 PM
Thank you for that last post. What about the take home car program? Do I have to wait till I get out of FTO or do I have to wait a year until I am off probation? Keep the feed back coming, this is really helping me to make a decision.

10-02-2006, 08:45 PM
Well guessing from your use of codes and signals you are from PCPD. Be glad you are leaving Billy behind you. It is the best step you will ever make.

To answer about the cars.....you get one after you complete the FTO program and are assigned to a squad. That is if there are any cars available.