PDA

View Full Version : Pay?

09-05-2006, 04:10 PM
I'm currently working for another FL agency and I'm interested in CCSO.... I've seen that the starting pay is around $37,000/year, but is there a step plan in place? And if so, what is the maxout pay?

09-06-2006, 01:51 PM
There is a STEP Plan in place. A starting deputy base pay will begin around $38,712.63. BUT, since we do not hire anyone without experience or coming from the jail, that is the base pay which other factors will be built upon, such as prior experience will generally add two steps. That now makes starting at $40, 828.78. This does not include overtime which is paid time and a half at your rate of pay.

There is no shortage of overtime or outside contract jobs. Those jobs are paid at a flat rate of $30.00 an hour. With overtime or working contract jobs, your first year pay is truly at your discretion. I consistently make over $20,000 a year on top of my base pay. With that in mind you could make $60,000.00 your first year if you are willing to put in a little overtime.

After a few years you are eligible to make Corporal. So, if you were hired on with prior experience and began at step three ($40,828.78) and then worked two years before making Corporal ($43,060.62) then you would go to $47,685 as a first year Corporal working in your third year for the agency.

Since we do have a STEP Plan, then any cost of living adjustments will be added to this pay. ALSO, every year on your anniversary date, you will get a step increase. Right now that equates to a 2.7% raise. (Each step increase is 2.7% increase in pay). As a Corporal, you would not top out until about 15 years time in grade which is about $63,901. This is still subject to change. I believe they (Staff) are still working on this part of the plan to include specialty pay incentives.

Bottom line, when you consider the pay plan, opportunity for overtime, benefits, equipment, training, location and the quality of members at this agency, this really is one of the best Sheriffs Offices in the state of Florida. And NO we do not have a union!!

This web site is a great place to gage how the members of an agency really feel and a great place to see what kind of problems are occurring within that agency. I challenge you to read through this board for CCSO and then look at any of the other sheriff office in Florida and see what a mess other agencies have to deal with. Our problems a very minor compared to other agencies. I credit this due to the fact WE DO NOT have a union and to the quality of members and staff at CCSO.

We really are a big family here and are always looking for good people who have good values and work ethics to join. We do not want or need any cry babies or trouble makers so if anyone who is reading this likes controversy or to stir the pot…we don’t want you. If you have a positive attitude and want to be a part of a great organization then please visit our web site at www.colliersheriff.org (http://www.colliersheriff.org) and download an application.

The opportunities are endless as we continue to grow!

09-06-2006, 09:29 PM
Thank You!
That was very helpful. I read a prior message concerning the shifts your agency worked, and while understanding the 12-hour shift part and the times, the RDO schedule confused me. Do you day's off alternate every week? And are your shifts permanent for the year?

09-07-2006, 05:02 PM
Right now the 12 hour shifts a permanent. The work week is divided into two halves. The “Front” side of the week is Sunday thru Tuesday with every other Wednesday. The “Back” of the week is every other Wednesday thru Saturday. This schedule does not apply to all areas of the agency and is mostly applied to the road.

Recently there have been some complaints about this schedule and staff is in the process of taking a poll. They want to determine if a 12 hour rotating shift would be better. Many other agencies already work this schedule. It would work like this: You would work Friday, Saturday and Sunday and then have Monday and Tuesday off. You would then work Wednesday and Thursday followed by Friday, Saturday and Sunday off. With this schedule you would have every other weekend off as a three day weekend. Plus on your short work week (Wednesday and Thursday) if you took vacation time, you would only use 24 hours leave and actually have seven days off. This schedule is still being decided upon and it appears that the road is split 50 / 50 on going to that schedule.

The advantage to one is that it is easier to plan for school, babysitter / childcare etc; where as the other affords you more time off with less vacation time used. We will have to wait and see which one they adopt.

I hope this helps.

09-08-2006, 01:22 PM
The last poster is absolutley correct. How much you make at CCSO really depends on how much you want to work- although even the base is pretty good. Also, we are getting an 8.1% increase this year, broken down into 3 increases of 2.7%- 1 in October. 1 in January, and 1 on your hire date anniversry. Basically we are getting three raises in one year. Also, the fringes are really nice here. You accrue vacation and sick time at a good rate right from the start, there is a sick bank and an emergency member assistance fund (basically a no interest loan for emergencies-everything from unexpected car repairs to family death expenses) , tuition reimbursement, a take-home car right off of FTO, they give you a sign-on payment of $3000 to purchase the pistol , belt and holster of your chioce, of course you are in the Florida Retirement System to which you contribute NOTHING-they pay all of it, the detail/contract rate is going up to $36 an hour, and your insurance cost is low- full coverage, medical, dental etc. for spouse and dependents is only $80 per month. (if its just you it is free)...When you add it all up, the compensation is excellent at every level.

More than that though, the agency really is a family-we are not employees, we are members, and it shows in our pride and our unity. I read posts from OTHER agencies on this site and it saddens me to see that in so many other places the command staff (sheriffs, chiefs, etc.) and the line people are at odds and fighting over pay, benefits and even agency direction. We just don't have that here. Sheriff Hunter and his staff fight hard FOR us, not against us, and we move in a consistent direction-forward- with the goal of making CCSO, which many of us believe to be the best agency ANYWHERE, even better . At so many of the other agencies it seems that all anyone cares about is themselves and whether or not the contract comes through- they spend their work day from start to finish agonizing over it, above everything else. Here we come to work confident that those matters are in hand already, and it frees us to concentrate on THE REALLY IMPORTANT things-like putting criminals in jail. Sure there is occasionally dissent among the ranks, and not everyone is happy with every decision made, but at the end of the day, we are still family, and still proud to wear the gray.

09-08-2006, 08:40 PM
Old School,

Thank you for your post! It was very well stated and the truth! I did forget to mention what you stated but coming from another member is good. It shows that the information is not one-sided.

Thank you also for your participation on this site. I see that many people read but do not post comments. That may directly relate to the fact that what is said is mostly true and the members at CCSO work together and not against each other like what we see from the other agencies.

Other than the cost of living here, this really is paradise in comparison! Thanks again and I look forward to reading more from our members.

09-10-2006, 03:21 PM
Thank you both for all your help. It sounds like CCSO is a very good place to work. In reference to your new schedule vote, I have talked to many other deputies/officers who work the 12-hour, short week/long week schedule. Everybody I have spoke to had nothing bad to say about this schedule. The general concensus is that, if you don't have a certain day off this week, you'll have it off next week. Also you're guranteed a three day weekend every other weekend. And like the previous message said, you can schedule vacations for your short week and only take 24 hours of leave, getting seven days off. Also, does anybody know what the base max-out pay is as a deputy?

09-13-2006, 03:08 AM
You will never reach base max-out pay as a deputy. After two years and completion of line supervisor schooling, you are eligible for promotion to corporal. That rank is not really a supervisor rank with CCSO as much as it is the ability to increase your pay. The max out for corporal was mentioned by the previous poster which far exceeds what a maxed out deputy would make. It is far too easy to meet the requirements for corporal to not take advantage of a generous pay scale between deputy and sergeant.

11-24-2006, 08:12 AM
Thank you both for all your help. It sounds like CCSO is a very good place to work. In reference to your new schedule vote, I have talked to many other deputies/officers who work the 12-hour, short week/long week schedule. Everybody I have spoke to had nothing bad to say about this schedule. The general concensus is that, if you don't have a certain day off this week, you'll have it off next week. Also you're guranteed a three day weekend every other weekend. And like the previous message said, you can schedule vacations for your short week and only take 24 hours of leave, getting seven days off. Also, does anybody know what the base max-out pay is as a deputy?

Why dont you guys get a room and spoon already.. Ive worked here for four years its ok place to work the pay looks ok but your also living in one of the most expensive areas in the state. So truthfully that 40k salary is more like 30-35k salary. Morale here is ok its no different than any other agency but I suggest you do your homework cause it aint cheap to live in this county...

11-24-2006, 02:46 PM
The morale here is the same as anywhere else? You have got to be kidding me! If you really think that, you need to read some of the other agency message boards. The pay? Well, we are getting 8.1% this fiscal year, and to be truthful it will probably be more like 12% with the added market adjustment following the Naples PD contract. And next year we will get another good raise, too. I think that most people would call that a good pay plan. Also, the agency pays 93% of our health insurance premium-that means your medical/dental/vision for your whole family costs you $80. an MONTH. You get a take home car right off of FTO, instead of in 2 or 3 YEARS (lee county) or NEVER ( a lot of city pds) Ah, the hidden benefits...
Yes, it is expensive to live here. No question. But at the same time, the quality of life is pretty good, too, so in a certain sense, you get what you pay for. And as long as you don't absolutely have to drive a Mercedes or live in Tiburon or Gray Oaks or Pelican Bay, you can live in a nice place, pretty comfortably, on what we make... and if you do want more, the earning potential is there....
I don't think any of us are being CCSO cheerleaders or putting the agency up as something it is not- we are just calling it like we see it, and if what we see is good, and in many cases better than everything else out there, what harm is there in that?

11-24-2006, 05:26 PM
I agree Oldschool 100%.

The problem I see most of the time is that the people who say negative things are young (As in time in service) in their careers. This is the first place they have worked and have nothing else to compare it to. This is why so often when one of them leave, they usually return within 18 months.

This is a good thing because you have to experience the bad before you can ever appreciate or even recognize the good!

Just my .02cents

P.S.

Whats wrong with spooning anyway? :shock: