PDA

View Full Version : CAD System

09-02-2006, 04:03 PM
Is it just me or has anyone else lately noticed how much the CAD system is going down. If you ask the computer guys or the people at the radio shop they all say pretty much the same thing, there's noting wrong with the system. I dont want to see it happen but I myself am just waiting for the day when the entire system just crashes. I've got to tell ya, I'm getting tired of getting the "finger" from a computer (if ya have to ask you would'nt understand). Oh well, I'll just have my trusty pen and notebook real handy to start writing down the incident scene addresses when we have to go all voice again like the old days.

09-02-2006, 11:41 PM
:idea: Call Dr Hawkins....that system :roll: is his baby :devil:

09-03-2006, 12:04 AM
:idea: Call Dr Hawkins....that system :roll: is his baby :devil:

Now, now........

To be fair the CAD system, and the entire computer system now in operation, was chosen before Dr. Hawkins was in charge of it. It was defective from the beginning, and much of that can be laid at the doorstep of some incompetent civilian(s) in Fiscal who were looking out for their interests, not the deputy's, during the selection process.

Now, on the other hand the promotion testing program screw-ups belongs entirely in the lap of Dr. Hawkins!

:roll:

Somewhere there is a videotape of Cal Henderson on the steps of the County Courthouse being sworn in as Sheriff for the first time and making his inaugural speech.

The most compelling sentence of the entire speech was "We all know someone who is an EDUCATED IDIOT."

:snicker:

09-03-2006, 04:08 AM
WEll Flash Back, lets be honest about the CAD. The one person mentioned was also in a postion to tell all it was not working and he is also in charge of those that that were putting the system in place. The system has failed. So why promote him, has he done the task at hand. Or how about the RMS that is by the same company that his underlings were in charge of, is not eh RMS also several years behind........why? Why reward with a promotion.

Several years ago, about 7 or so, some within the agency wanted a new RMS and wanted to dump MAPPER (smart move). They started their march by taking control of what is now "ITB", they even renamed it "ITB". They put their people in place. They set out to get a new RMS and they did..........problem is the system still is not in place, and what is in place has failed time after time. This is not the only computer project that is running several years behind. Just ask and you will find out that many in "ITB" are running scared as they are on the chopping block for a system they never wanted, nor received training in.......so who's fault is that, the employees or the managers?

09-03-2006, 01:32 PM
You would think Versaterm would at least be able to give you the zip code of your call.

I remember them telling us in the Versaterm "training" that this system had like double and triple backups so that it can't go down. I knew that was a lie from the begining cause anything that runs on a windows platform can and will go down.

Latley the sytem has been going down more and more.

SOULUTION (temporary): Instead of whipping out the old notepad and pen, use the notepad feature built into windows. I have found it is much faster to type the call and better to have it on my screen.

Now if we could only get our dispatchers to properly dispatch when they know the system is down on our side...

09-03-2006, 03:34 PM
And let us not forget who was in charge when we got the new WT's........you know that ones that can get the speaker wet and then not work. Seems like one mistake after another.

mod 184
09-04-2006, 12:50 AM
I know there has to be a better way, but for now here is your request:

hot to trot Posted: 09/03/06 07:39:46

The Old-old computers in the cars were worse. The whole system would crash at least 1-2 times per week EVERY week. It would sometimes be down for a whole shift. An entire shift without being able to get a case number...shoot me!

09-18-2006, 07:23 PM
How about this as a possible solution for the next system that we buy.........don't buy the system.........subscribe to the system.

In other words only agree to pay a subscription fee for each 6 months that we use the new system. And before every 6 months subscription renewal, the bugs in the system must be fixed by the software company or else we don't renew. This is crucial because there is no way to immediately pinpoint all of the bugs in the system before the system is used for a while. It takes time (sometimes years) before the users are familiar enough with the system to recognize all of the trouble spots.

09-19-2006, 02:27 AM
how about we do not let a certain doctor have any say in the new system.

09-25-2006, 10:53 PM
How about we don't let a certian civilian IT dictator, er Director, have any say in the new system.

09-27-2006, 12:40 AM
Just proves the point that someone can be a super technician and a sub par manager at the same time. In hindsight we may have been better off hiring a professional manager to run IT. The current management hasn't shown anyone a whole lot and appears to be making most decisions without considering what real cops need to do their job. :cry: :cry: :cry:

09-27-2006, 02:09 AM
Just proves the point that someone can be a super technician and a sub par manager at the same time. In hindsight we may have been better off hiring a professional manager to run IT. The current management hasn't shown anyone a whole lot and appears to be making most decisions without considering what real cops need to do their job. :cry: :cry: :cry:

And just who is in charge of "IT"........the Dr?????

09-28-2006, 10:30 PM
They're dropping like flies in IT and I'm sure the good Doctor and his appointed crew are loving that. :D

09-29-2006, 12:17 AM
They're dropping like flies in IT and I'm sure the good Doctor and his appointed crew are loving that. :D

Fact is, good IT people can make a whole lot more money somewhere else.

Why stay here?

On the other hand, where could the good doctor get anything near what he makes here with his, er... um... "qualifications?" :wink:

10-01-2006, 01:05 AM
Point is that IT is just another civilian support function within the office, just like Fleet, Facilities, Radio Shop, Fiscal, etc. Their role is the support the troops, and more often than not it seems like the tail is wagging the dog. The troops on the street and in the jails get systems that clearly weren't designed or customized to meet the needs of 2000+ deputies. Then when you call the help desk with a problem or a question you get voice mail. Fun.