PDA

View Full Version : Academy

09-02-2006, 03:54 PM
I am starting the academy on Sept. 29. I was wondering if anyone else is from the Palm Bay or Melbourne area? Looking for someone to ride with to and from on the weekends. Not every weekend, but at least twice a month.

09-03-2006, 03:31 AM
I am starting the academy on Sept. 29. I was wondering if anyone else is from the Palm Bay or Melbourne area? Looking for someone to ride with to and from on the weekends. Not every weekend, but at least twice a month.

When you get there ask around. Im sure a lot of people who are starting the academy are not familiar with this site. If you dont find anyone from there, Im sure there is someone who goes pretty close too it. Good luck in the academy and take it day by day.

09-03-2006, 02:13 PM
Thanks roadman. Its nice to have someone reply with the "why FHP and "you are crazy" questions and comments.

lifesabeach
09-03-2006, 02:16 PM
I ment without the "why FHP" and "you are crazy" comments.

09-22-2006, 04:32 AM
Wait until you work with FHP for about a year and you will know why people post the "are you crazy" comments. FHP is one of the most messed up agencies there is. It is ran by idiots because only idiots are dumb enough to hang around long enough to promote. How they treat their troopers is criminal. I hope you like working off duty because you will be doing a load of it, unless you like living in a cardboard box. $2900 a month GROSS doesn't go very far this day and age. Heck, even a Sgt. with FHP doesn't make 40K a year. I laugh everytime I think of this.

lifesabeach
09-22-2006, 02:36 PM
After going through the application and hire process for over a year, I came to realize I did not like the way the agency was run. This is just my opinion. First of all, like I said I have been going through the process since June of 2005. I had high test score, 2nd highest pat score, prior military experience, and out of state leo experience. I passed all phases of the process without a problem. My back round is clean. I was not informed I was accepted to the academy until 20 days before the academy was to start. The back round investigator had my file since January. Maybe it is just me, but eight and a half months to make some phone calls and check references seems like a very long time to me. And then I was expected to get an EKG completed and mailed off in 10 days without ever being told about an EKG. I could have gotten this done months ago if I was kept informed. I was constantly calling my contact and asking what I needed to get for the academy and what else I could do to make the process easier and faster. I was told everything will be fine and I will know what I need to know when I need to know. Then I get my package and now I am supposed to get my academy uniforms (in 20 days) ordered and altered. Why wouldn't an academy have the uniforms? I knew I had to pay for them, but they should stock them. Or let the person know they have a real good chance at making the cut. Then you could buy them. If you don't make the cut return them. It just seems the FHP is flying by the seat of their pants and I want no part of it. I will stay with the S.O. I work for, make $5000.00 more a year base, easy overtime, cheaper benefits, and a step pay plan. I am not knocking the FHP. They do a great job for not so great pay. Every trooper I met was really cool. I wasn't joining for the money. But it was part of my decision. I like to spend time with my family, not constantly work to make ends meet. Some may not mind working all the time or maybe they don't have kids. I do and you can't make up for those lost years with off duty money.

lifesabeach
09-22-2006, 02:37 PM
After going through the application and hire process for over a year, I came to realize I did not like the way the agency was run. This is just my opinion. First of all, like I said I have been going through the process since June of 2005. I had high test score, 2nd highest pat score, prior military experience, and out of state leo experience. I passed all phases of the process without a problem. My back round is clean. I was not informed I was accepted to the academy until 20 days before the academy was to start. The back round investigator had my file since January. Maybe it is just me, but eight and a half months to make some phone calls and check references seems like a very long time to me. And then I was expected to get an EKG completed and mailed off in 10 days without ever being told about an EKG. I could have gotten this done months ago if I was kept informed. I was constantly calling my contact and asking what I needed to get for the academy and what else I could do to make the process easier and faster. I was told everything will be fine and I will know what I need to know when I need to know. Then I get my package and now I am supposed to get my academy uniforms (in 20 days) ordered and altered. Why wouldn't an academy have the uniforms? I knew I had to pay for them, but they should stock them. Or let the person know they have a real good chance at making the cut. Then you could buy them. If you don't make the cut return them. It just seems the FHP is flying by the seat of their pants and I want no part of it. I will stay with the S.O. I work for, make $5000.00 more a year base, easy overtime, cheaper benefits, and a step pay plan. I am not knocking the FHP. They do a great job for not so great pay. Every trooper I met was really cool. I wasn't joining for the money. But it was part of my decision. I like to spend time with my family, not constantly work to make ends meet. Some may not mind working all the time or maybe they don't have kids. I do and you can't make up for those lost years with off duty money.