PDA

View Full Version : Whats it really like

amcgroup
09-01-2006, 05:22 AM
I've applied to CCSO and have my interview and testing scheduled for next month.

I want to know the real info about the job; hours, shifts, activity etc. I have 25 years on the job up North and want to know from an insider what CCSO is really like.

Any help appreciated

09-02-2006, 06:41 PM
First, I want to say welcome to our agency / home. I take it you will be working the road?

Let me take the time to share with you some advice that will ensure that you will have a long and enjoyable time with your new job. How well you do here and how much fun you have here will depend solely on your attitude. I know that sounds basic but let me explain…

As soon as you tell anyone that you are from “Up North” and have 25 years on the job, most will probably say to themselves “Oh No Not another One!” Do not take that personal or let it even offend you because there have many, many others before you and are doing what you are doing. They have left a bad taste in our mouths! Not all but most. We refer to this type of new hire as ROD (Retired on Duty) they want to sit around and collect a second paycheck but feel like they do not need to earn it answering calls or doing anything because they have answered enough calls in their lifetime.

They also come here and want instant credit for everything they did and saw up north. That will not happen here. You will have to start out just like everyone else. Be patient! It will not take long for people to recognize, on their own, that you have a clue to what is going on. Once that happens, people will respect you for your knowledge and attitude. Many come here and just demand respect and it does not work that way.

We will then often here, time and time again, how it was done “Up North”. We do not care how it was done up north! This is NOT up north, hence, the reason you are moving here. Living in Florida is very different. People are either born in Florida or they come here because they are leaving another problem. This is a very transient state. Due to these reasons and many others, we CAN NOT do things here the way they do it up north! The two systems are very different but we have learned with time that OUR way works! So, learn to do things our way, there is a reason for it.

Next, we will here how everything is so much better when you have a union. THAT IS NOT TRUE IN FLORIDA!!! This is a right to work state. Unions do not work. You have NO BARGINING POWER!! So just accept it. Learn to trust the Sheriff. He has not let us down in twenty years. I guarantee he will not start anytime soon!! If you do not like the way he treats you then either do not work here or vote for a new sheriff at election time. That’s the way we do it in Florida. If you think a union will solve anything then I challenge you to look through this forum at other Florida agencies that have unions and read about all the problems and drama. If you think there is an agency in Florida that has more than we do because of a union then please apply there to work.

In Florida, this is the best agency to work for!! We have good benefits, good pay, good training, good equipment and good moral! Our calls for service continue to increase so there are times that you will find yourself going from call to call. But, you will be working with the finest group of cops anywhere and you will have everything you need to do your job. I could go on and on but I do not have the time.

Bottom line, welcome to the agency! With an open mind and a genuine desire to be a part of our family, you will find this place an amazing opportunity in the next chapter of your life. We are growing and the opportunities to be promoted or reassigned to a specific job that you like to do is very good. With the right attitude, the sky is the limit at CCSO. We are one big family and you will find many open arms when you arrive. Please be respectful and give us the help the way we need it… not what you think we need.

With that said, you now have the answers to your questions.

Good Luck and welcome to our family!

09-02-2006, 07:05 PM
Thanks for your response. I did'nt mean any disrespect by advising where I am from or my time on the job, just added that information as a little background on myself.

It appears from your post that there has been alot of negative interactions with Northern veteran cops especially since you have a name for them (ROD).

If I knew it all I would'nt be asking for advice and information from your forum members. If I already answered enough calls and had my fill of police work I'd stay retired. I was just trying to get some insight on your agency as I go through the hiring process.

09-02-2006, 07:22 PM
With that said, it appears you are not like the others and I apologize for being blunt.

We really need the help and experience and unfortunately the only ones we seem to be hiring are those who just want a second pay check without working for it or those who have no experience and need constant monitoring. The second is ok and we are investing in our future if they will stay with us but being short staffed on the road and having to teach rookies that you have to choose your battles while enforcing the law, makes for a long shift.

We currently work a 12hour shift. You are either assigned days (6am to 6pm) Evenings (3pm to 3am) or mids (6pm to 6am). Once you have your shift then you either work the front side of the week (Sunday to Tuesday with alternating Wednesdays) or the back side of the week (alternating Wednesday to Saturday). There is talk about going to two 12 hour shifts on followed by two 12 hour shifts off followed by three 12 hours on and the three 12 hour shifts off. Every other weekend would be a three day week end.

This really is a great place to work! As in any place of employment, some things could be better, there is always someone complaining or unhappy about something and everyone would like to make more money. With that aside, I look forward to going to work every day / night. I love who I work with and what this agency stands for. After 15 years I consider myself pretty lucky to call CCSO home.

Again, sorry for being blunt in my original response and welcome to our family. We can really use the experience with open mind and willingness to be a part of the solution instead of adding to a problem.

I promise you will love it here! If you have more questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

09-02-2006, 07:31 PM
Thanks for the response and the information, hopefully we'll be working together soon.

09-05-2006, 05:29 PM
I read the comments on the guest that has 25 years of police experience and that of the c.c.s.o member that responded.

R.O.D. is term that is used up north and back east where I too, work for another agency for 25 years. c.c.s.o. is not he only one that have this term. I have known and re-trained several new R.O.D. in the past, back east.

But, like the gueast that was trying to find out information, about C.C.S.O, we are not all like that. Some of us started very young, at 20 yrs old like myself, or even younger. So when 25yrs came along and some of us, who had the "GOD GIVEN BLESSING" to survive this job. Because I don't care where you came from, any "LAW ENFORCEMENT" that wears a uniform and answer calls for service. They take the same risk, of being injured or "worse", but of course, you have those lazy R.O.D. They come here, and make it bad for everyone else that is still very young at the time they have retired, and just want to continued their police career. Because just collecting a pension and going fishing every other day, get "OLD' fast.

I came to this agency after retiring very young, and I must say, that to this date, everyone has been nice to me. I have learned a lot here, and have met some of the "FINEST DEPUTY" Don Hunter has in this agency. They have made me feel like I really am a member of this agency. They do ask a lot of question and of course everything is not perfect. But from where I came from, this agency is light years more advance in technolgy, better equipments. I am very happy to be a member of C.C.S.O. and I am still learning the way things are handle here, and with God's blessing, I hope to be here for the next 15yrs.

So I say to the guest applying here, welcome to C.C.S.O. you will no be disappointed. You will here to term R.O.D. just like I did, but knew that it was not direct to me. So if you are not one of them, you will soon learn that it does not apply to you.

So welcome again, this is a first class DEPARTMENT!