PDA

View Full Version : parking ticket

08-31-2006, 05:40 PM
maybe one of you fine people can help me here, i had a fella that works for me, go downtown the other afternoon, and he found a parking space with a meter , he went into a store for approx 5-10 minutes, he left his car running and locked up, so his dog that was in the car would be cool, and not get over heated, when he got back he had a parking ticket for 25.00 and another additional 30.00 for leaving his car running, and unattended, id like to point out the car was locked, and the meter reader was correct in giving him a ticket, but is the additional 30.00 right on the ticket,,,,,,, were just curious would like to know why this was an additional 30 bucks on the ticket,,,,,,,, thanks to all.

08-31-2006, 05:48 PM
Sir/Ma'am
FIrst, see what agency issued the parking citations.
More than likely, although not excluding Tampa Police, it was probably the City of Tampa Parking Division.
They have their Administrative Offices on Franklin Street just north of Whiting Street. It is in a courtyard so if you choose to make any futher inquiries there you will have to park your car again - pay the meter! - and walk into the courtyard which is between Tampa Street and Florida Avenue near the Ft. Brooke Parking Garage.
As a police officer, I have received many tickets downtown, in private and city cars - sometimes you just have to pay the price.
Hope this helps

08-31-2006, 07:19 PM
FS 316.1975 Unattended motor vehicle.--

(1) A person driving or in charge of any motor vehicle may not permit it to stand unattended without first stopping the engine, locking the ignition, and removing the key. A vehicle may not be permitted to stand unattended upon any perceptible grade without stopping the engine and effectively setting the brake thereon and turning the front wheels to the curb or side of the street. A violation of this section is a noncriminal traffic infraction, punishable as a nonmoving violation as provided in chapter 318.

08-31-2006, 07:19 PM
thank you for the very useful info, i will have him follow up on this and put money in the meter also, and leave the dog home, and thanks for your courtesy in your reply, im a sir btw

09-01-2006, 01:35 AM

(1) A person driving or in charge of any motor vehicle may not permit it to stand unattended without first stopping the engine, locking the ignition, and removing the key. A vehicle may not be permitted to stand unattended upon any perceptible grade without stopping the engine and effectively setting the brake thereon and turning the front wheels to the curb or side of the street. A violation of this section is a noncriminal traffic infraction, punishable as a nonmoving violation as provided in chapter 318.

This is a violation which is committed by TPD Officers, HCSO Deputies and FHP Troopers numerous times every day - when they make a traffic stop!

There is no exception in the law which would authorize law enforcement officers to leave the motor running in their cars when they make a stop.

When you step out of the car it is not parked - it is "standing unattended."

:oops:

09-01-2006, 02:27 AM

This is a violation which is committed by TPD Officers, HCSO Deputies and FHP Troopers numerous times every day - when they make a traffic stop!

There is no exception in the law which would authorize law enforcement officers to leave the motor running in their cars when they make a stop.

When you step out of the car it is not parked - it is "standing unattended."

316.1975 Unattended motor vehicle.--

(2) This section does not apply to the operator of:

(a) An authorized emergency vehicle while in the performance of official duties and the vehicle is equipped with an activated antitheft device that prohibits the vehicle from being driven;

(b) A licensed delivery truck or other delivery vehicle while making deliveries; or

(c) A solid waste or recovered materials collection vehicle while collecting such items.

I guess you should keep your flap shut when you don't know the facts of what you are talking about!!!!

09-01-2006, 01:59 PM
316.1975 Unattended motor vehicle.--

(2) This section does not apply to the operator of:

(a) An authorized emergency vehicle while in the performance of official duties and the vehicle is equipped with an activated antitheft device that prohibits the vehicle from being driven;

I guess you should keep your flap shut when you don't know the facts of what you are talking about!!!!

So you are claiming that TPD, HCSO and FHP cars are equipped with the antitheft device described?

:P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P :P.......... :wink:

09-01-2006, 02:53 PM
My new car is

09-01-2006, 07:52 PM
Door locks are antitheft devices

09-01-2006, 09:53 PM
In regards to the guests comment. I believe the anti-theft device that the FHP, HCSO or TPD has installed is either a Glock or a Sig , I perfer the Glock. From what I understand this anti- theft device is a pretty effective anti-theft device if in the proper hands and good sight alignment.

09-02-2006, 01:43 AM
Good jokes, both of them.

But we all know what kind of anti-theft device is intended in the law - and the odds are YOU DON'T HAVE ONE in your marked unit.

:wink:

09-02-2006, 03:37 AM
The new cars do have an anti theft device.........I must add that a police car on a traffic stop is not an unattended vehiclewith or without the device. Get a life guys !

09-02-2006, 02:00 PM
Back to the original post, I think that the meter maid was a littler overzealous in writing both tickets. If the guy didn't pay the meter you have him on that. But if you see a dog in a car on a 90 degree day do you expect him to actually turn the car off? He should have cited him for the meter and cut him a break on the unattended MV. But do to the typical stat hungry management we have I am sure he is out loading up every one he can.

If I was him I would go to court on the citations. Plead guilty to the judge on the meter, and explain why you left the car running. Hopefully he is an animal lover and will see your side and cut you a break on the unattended MV. If not you are out an hour or two of your time.

09-02-2006, 04:23 PM
A REAL animal lover would not have left the dog in the car running or not. He was lucky it was a "meter maid" and not a cop who issued the ticket since that saved him more than $100 !

09-02-2006, 11:44 PM
no your wrong, hes a real animal lover, he takes his dog with hime all the time,,,, his dog is all he has in his life, so your wrong in that assumption, and gosh to say that he was lucky that a cop didnt issue the citation, woooooooo.

09-03-2006, 11:55 AM
BUT, he didn't take the dog with him. He left it ALONE in the car,shooting you post right in the proverbal foot. As for a cop vs metermaid isssing the ticket I am correct agian since the cops ticket would have been a $100 more. Do the math brainiac!

09-03-2006, 12:45 PM
A REAL animal lover would not have left the dog in the car running or not. He was lucky it was a "meter maid" and not a cop who issued the ticket since that saved him more than $100 !

So I should write every K9 unit that leaves the dog inside when they are out of the car. Come on !

The guy should have received one ticket, let him slide on the dog one if the car was running.

09-03-2006, 01:49 PM
Grow up!

03-06-2014, 05:01 PM
I had kinda the same ordeal, However i was standing outside my car about 10 feet away. I left it on to hear the music while I was ordering food at an outside cafe.

What exactly does "unattended" mean.

Also the officer reached into my car and took my keys.

The officer was at the cafe ordering coffee like I was, and his car was running and not even parked correctly.

Kinda absurbed, but I would like to know the ruling on unattended. Cause I could still see my car.
This was in broward county btw not hillsbrough, my mother is a cop in tampa though so I know these forums.

03-06-2014, 05:09 PM
Apparently, the definition of "unattended" has little with how far you were from the vehicle and a lot to do with you walking away while the key is in the ignition, engine running... etc.

So guess im going to have to bite that one for being lazy and not taking my keys with me..

Ok onto the officer reaching into my car.

03-06-2014, 09:00 PM
There could be various reasons, but the first one that comes to mine, would be that he/she took out the keys and was going to hold onto them until he/she located the owner for safe keeping reasons. I can not tell you how many times we have investigated a Grand Theft Auto incident where the owner left the car running for "a few minutes or seconds" while they ran into the house to get something that they forgot, to run into the store real quick to buy a pack of cigarettes, to go inside a school/daycare, etc to pick up their kids, etc. etc. etc.

The fact that the owner was just a few feet away, will not stop a determined thief, things happen very quickly.

03-07-2014, 01:26 PM
The officer had no criminal intent when reaching into your vehicle so there obviously no offense. An unattended running vehicle is considered a safety hazard and he has every right to turn off the vehicle.