PDA

View Full Version : Now Bonfield has two puppets

08-31-2006, 02:28 AM
Published - August, 30, 2006
O'pinions on brotherly looks, tax-cut idea and differing prison terms

Mark OBrien
@PensacolaNewsJournal.com
Pensacola's city government now has a high-level brother act.

The new port director, Clyde Mathis, 47, is the brother of longtime Police Chief John Mathis, 50 -- a fact the city didn't mention in its news release announcing the hiring.

John will say he's the better-looking brother, but maybe it's just the police uniform that makes him look so snappy.

Clyde, however, will look like a million bucks if he can convert the port into a consistent money-maker after years of taxpayer subsidies.

Until recently, Clyde was a top assistant to the director of the Port of New Orleans. He has 25 years' experience working for ports, more than both of his predecessors put together.

08-31-2006, 05:56 AM
If he gets the job done I dont care. Long as he's not a habitual DUI like the last director.

09-01-2006, 01:01 AM
If he's anything like our Mathis, a DUI wouldn't be out of the question. I'm sure he's badged his way out of a few DUI's considering his admiration of Happy Hour.

09-01-2006, 04:27 AM
Looks like the good old boy network is alive and well in the city of Pensacola.

09-01-2006, 11:57 AM
Boy you guy's are something else. You don't even know the the man. Never met him, never seen him do a job ,but yet you have this opinion of him that is totaly out in left field. At least my opinion of you has been based on you words written on this site and I must say the more you write the more I am convinced that you guy's are just crybabies, why I bet that you think your the best cop since sliced bread, of course that's your opinion, I wonder what your Sgt,and or Lt.'s opinion is. I would be willing to bet they are not the same.

09-01-2006, 04:30 PM
Best cop since sliced bread?? What the hell are you talking about gust?? Anyway, if this Mathis is anything like our Mathis hiding in his office on the second floor then the port is doomed too.
We've seen what a drunk police chief can do, now lets all sit back and watch what a drunk port director can screw up.
Just a thought, do you think John Mathis pulled some strings to get his bro the job?? Oh, who says Im not a Sgt. or Lt.??

09-02-2006, 03:13 PM
Mr. T.O. what gives you the right to pre judge this man before you ever meet him. Have you researched his qualifications? Have you talked to anyone that knows for a fact that he drinks? You are prejudiced against him because you don't like his brother. How would you feel if you were judged that way. I know great people that have questionable relatives. I also know of low life individuals with great families. Sir or Lady, you have no right to judge anyone!
As for the Chief helping his brother get the job. Do you know for a fact that he did that? I know that most of us at PPD have tried to help people get jobs there. I have. It's called recruiting the best person for the job.
No matter what Chief Mathis does, you will find somehting wrong with it. You keep complaining about the same things over and over. It's time to find something new to complain about. I'm sure it won't be hard for you to do. You are so negative that you'd find something to complain about if he gave you a raise and a promotion.

09-04-2006, 12:27 AM
I think the point here is that everyone knows that Mathis does not stand up for us officers against Bonfield. Mathis has shown that on several occassions, the union issue is the most obvious. That's when Mathis could have gotten his officers behind him and had real power. Instead, he bowed to Bonfield and tried to undermind the union vote. He was actually calling officers to his house while they were working and tried to convince them to vote against the union. Come on, we've gotten nothing from Bonfield or city council in forever, except higher insurance rates. We had to go union and Mathis could have chosen us instead of kissing Bonfield's ass.

So, back to the point, I think it's a bit suspicious that another Mathis is coming to work for the city. Bonfield is obviously happy with the control he has over Mathis at the PPD so I'm sure he's thinking he'll be able to control the Mathis at the port as well. But who knows, the other Mathis may be a stand up guy and do a great job. Only time will tell. Hey, and if he is, maybe we can switch Mathis' and get a better one with us at the PPD.