PDA

View Full Version : shift change-again

08-30-2006, 09:10 PM
O.K.- so now it looks like we are going to go the rotating shifts with a long week and a short week like the jail. It looks like this is going to play hell with everybody's child care and school schedules, and except for the fact that it gives you every other weekend off,(but the way it is we get 1 weekend day and we are off either 3 or 4 days at a time) it does not seem to hold any advantage....So why are we doing it? I heard somebody say its about OFFICER SAFETY and LIABILITY but I don't see it- most of us are just as tired at the end of a 3 day stretch as we are at the end of a 4 day stretch....and we were just as tired at the end of an 8 hour shift as we were at the end of a 10 or 12...Yes with the 12 it kills the whole day-we work and then sleep, but we get so much more quality time off with our families that it makes up for it. Officer Safety? Liability? the accidents have not increased, nor have the lawsuits, and somebody who can't operate safely in an arrest situation because of a 12 hour shift probably isn't safe after 8 hours either. So why the change???

09-02-2006, 07:05 PM
I like the shifts the way they are now. I have worked the other shift and it is tuff if you have to try and make it work with a spouse, kids and their dedicated normal schedule.

The problem is that half the agency wants the shift we are on now and half want it the other way. Staff is so attentive in trying to please everyone that they are willing to try the other schedule. What ever schedule they decide to go with is fine but let’s stick to it. It is getting harder and harder to find new after school programs, schools and baby sitters to accommodate a new schedule

Officer safety and liability has no merit on any argument in regards to shifts and schedules. If that were the case the military would not have a mandatory 4 hour sleep rule for every 24 hours you work. Compared to the military, any schedule we have is better than what they do.

Sometimes we have so many good things that we forget how bad it really could be. In the big scheme of things we are really lucky that all we have to complain about are the little things that just may make our lives just a little bit better.

To answer your question Grayt, someone with a squeaky wheel is whining and those who do not want a change in schedules have not put any oil on the source.

We will see what happens.

09-03-2006, 10:45 AM
Just visiting the CCSO web site and couldn't help but see this post as being weak.

My agency we get one weekend off a month, work one 10 on and four off (hence this includes our one weekend off a month), but the rest of the month work usually 7 or 8 on and 2 off. Yes it's true and has existed for years.

Trust me, your schedule sounds ok to me.