PDA

View Full Version : Pursuit Policy

08-30-2006, 05:08 AM
Is it true that the Major of District 4 declared that no D4 units can engage in a car pursuit, even for confirmed felonies? I thought that part of a cops job is to catch bad guys? If cops wont catch the bad guys..... who will?

If this is not true, than disregard.

08-30-2006, 11:01 AM
Well Mr/Ms Tax Payer, maybe if you pressed our Sheriff and the County Commission to staff the road with the proper amount of deputies this would not be an issue. We are so understaffed it is a joke.

08-30-2006, 08:10 PM
Well Mr/Ms Tax Payer, maybe if you pressed our Sheriff and the County Commission to staff the road with the proper amount of deputies this would not be an issue. We are so understaffed it is a joke.

Huh?

It cops wont chase bad guys, than it dosen't matter if you had 2000 more cops on the road than you already have. Once the bad guy flees, he gets away. Because no one is chasing him, it dosen't matter if there are 5 cops or 500 cops behind him.

08-30-2006, 09:00 PM
Tax Payer.....if there were more deputies on the road, more cases would be solved and more bodies in jail.....thus the chance for someone to run would be reduced because maybe they would have been sitting in jail because they got caught prior to having a chance to run.

Look no further than today's Tribune for the answer. A task force was put into place in "Suitcase City" because it seemed if you walked the roads there, you got robbed. In just a few weeks they made over 700 arrests, and now no one is getting robbed. Maaybe if we had the staffing that is needed, then there would not be a need for these "Task Forces".

08-31-2006, 01:08 AM
While more staffing would be awesome, allowing for more proactive police work, we seem to have strayed from the original question. To pursue or not to pursue, that is the question. There was a time when TPD was not allowed to pursue car thiefs. Car thiefs knew this and as soon as TPD tried to X50, bad guys would take off and they were scott free. Car theft rose sharply within the city limits. Then someone decided to get tough and let TPD pursue and presto, car theft went down. Off course the argument could be made that since they were pursuing, they were catching the bad guys and locking them up. Either way, people were happy. Then you hear stories like not long ago in Lakeland where a pursued felon killed an innocent person. People were up in arms. Why were the mean police chasing someone which resulted in an innocent person being killed?
So, as you can see, there is no clear cut answer to pursuit. With an eye on liability, higher ups don't much care for it. Meanwhile, the street LEO understands that letting someone flee without giving chase is the same as saying he/she is powerless to enforce the laws he/she is sworn to protect. Either way, someone will not be happy.

08-31-2006, 01:43 AM
1st off auto theft rate did not drop because TPD could chase the cars. The rate dropped because TPD and HCSO from units.....with extra man power.....that track locatioons where the cars where stolen, and where they were dropped off at. Then they sat and waited mostly at the drop off sites. Once the cars were dropped, units moved in and made arrests.

Chase policys are not bad......you just need the officers to use common sense. Here is an example. The other day a stolen red truck with an out of state tag ran from deputies. The chasing deputy saw that the truck was entering a school zone at 8 AM and called it off and turned around (very smart deputy). An alert was sent to TPD and later in the day the vehicle was located and TPD found the suspect. The deputy then went to ID the suspect as the one that ran. It is called team work, but without the proper staffing we can not do it. This is no longer a country agency, but we are still staffed like one. This agency needs several hundered new deputies, but we are only asking for 50 or 60!

But lets do get back to the basic question, are chase policies good or bad. Well they are both. The are good as it does let the criminals know we will go after them, but the public has to know that such policies can great injuries and even death. After all a car is bigger than a bullet and does just as much damage.

08-31-2006, 09:28 PM
So, back to the orginal question......... Did the D4 major say no more car pursuits?

08-31-2006, 10:00 PM
Simple answer is: pretty much.

09-01-2006, 01:05 AM
Simple answer is: pretty much.

If so, it's time for him to retire.

09-01-2006, 02:43 AM
You know I usually don't bother to respond to the junk that's posted on this website but when you mess with a good man I feel a need to respond. And no I'm not a suck up or on the promotion list. I just enjoy working in DIV.

Our Major is a hell of a guy. I hope we can only get someone that is as deputy friendly as he is when he retires next year. Hopefully our current captain will be promoted and take the district command position at DIV. If you have'nt noticed there are deputies that would love to transfer to DIV.

As far as the pursuit policy goes down south here in DIV they have not been banned. Our Major only ask that we use common sence and discretion when deciding when or when not to pursue a suspect. Vehicles kill more law enforcement officers than bullets do. This is an unfortunate fact based on national statistics. After the death of one of our own a few years ago the major asked us to reevaluate the way we do things. You see, he does'nt want another deputy to lose his life in a vehicle crash anymore than the rest of us do.

While there is still a need to chase some suspects each situation is unique and dictates it's own response. Am I going to run X18 to a fight call at a local bar? Probally not. The same goes for a domestic. Am I going to run X18 to a deputy requesting a backup ASAP? You damn skippy. Am I going to chase a fleeing felon when the chance of injuring innocent bystanders is deminished? Oh hell ya. If it's a property crime during rush hour then I may feel the need to reevaluate. Are you getting the idea? Common sence is a beutiful thing.

Stay Safe!!

09-01-2006, 04:08 AM
The DIV Major is phenomenal, and anyone who says a word against him obviously has not met or worked with the man. I've never seen anyone care for his deputies or for the 'little people' who work under him as much as that guy.

If you have serious and honest concerns about his policies, I have no doubt he'd love to discuss it face to face, and in a pleasant, intelligent manner. Give him a call if you really have issues. 813-247-0455 is the DIV number.

09-01-2006, 04:57 AM
Major York is "the" best Major this office has and probablly one of the best we have in our command staff. I was told once by a deputy in crime prevention that if then Lt York asked him to jump out of a window he would without question. I never truly understood what he meant, until I had the opportunity to work for him in D4.
Major York is still a cop, and remembers being in the trentches with the scum. He may not doing x50's or showing up on calls, but he doesn't need to. I have never seen anyone in a Command Staff posistion so personable. Most D4 Deputies will agree that Maj York truly promotes a family atmosphere down South and truly does have an open door policy, and cares about his troops.

To the person who started this whole string, please stay in whatever District you are in and enjoy life there. If you are in D4, please check with the secretaries and I am sure they can help you with your transfer memo. It is no secret that Maj York and Capt Marsicano are not fans of pursuits and rightfully so, too many cops are killed while driving whether in a pursuit or not. All they ask us to do is use common sense when we do, and ensure we are within policy. This includes running x18 to calls, it amazes me that the supervisors in D2 allow the deputies there to run x18 to the amount of stuff they do. Just because it is a priority one call, does not mean lights and sirens.

Everyone be safe, us D4 deputies are going back to mindin our cows now. :)

09-01-2006, 05:59 AM
How can you possibly construe any comment made to be a slam against Major York? By the way, we lost one of our own in an incident that was not associated in any way with a pursuit.

09-01-2006, 06:18 AM
I also have heard nothing but great things about Major York. Thats just for 43, back to the topic at hand.
And DIV dep hit it right on the head- common sense is the key. Run code to a domestic or fight- no, run code to a domestic or fight with MDK(murder,death,kill-remember from Demolition Man) involved, yes. Dont chase drunks, dont chase for traffic violations, dont chase for misdemeanors- I think that about covers it. Use your common sense in a 10-31 is the general idea here.

09-01-2006, 06:46 AM
The stated policy in the district is not the issue. I heard this with my own ears from a street supervisor after a 13 year old car thief was apprehended in a low speed pursuit of less than one mile in duration after he deliberately tried to run down a deputy. "I don't care if you were laying in the ditch bleeding, we still wouldn't chase him. We know who he is." That kind of thing is where the problem lies.

09-01-2006, 07:17 AM
The problem is where do you draw the line. If a guy causes a high speed chase by fleeing and the cops chase him and a simple by stander gets killed, we the public *****. If the cops don't chase and he gets away, we the public *****. Lets just face facts here, cops have a job to do and their lives are on the line as well as the public. So let the cops do their jobs. As a citizen i see it everyday. We call cops pigs, We get pissed when they ticket us. When do the cops get thanks for the services they provide. Cops get screwed either way. nothing is ever right for the public when it comes to cops and thats the truth.

"The Exexutive Returns"

HCSOCivilian
09-01-2006, 01:58 PM
How can you possibly construe any comment made to be a slam against Major York? By the way, we lost one of our own in an incident that was not associated in any way with a pursuit.

It wasn't anything you said, Yeah, but it was back when 'Too Bad' said "If so, it's time for him to retire." Guess it just shows how loved the Major is when people jump to his defense that quickly, and the mere thought of his retirement is not one for celebration. Again, if 'Too Bad' or 'Tax Payer' have questions or comments, I encourage them to contact Major York directly.

09-01-2006, 02:12 PM
The stated policy in the district is not the issue. I heard this with my own ears from a street supervisor after a 13 year old car thief was apprehended in a low speed pursuit of less than one mile in duration after he deliberately tried to run down a deputy. "I don't care if you were laying in the ditch bleeding, we still wouldn't chase him. We know who he is." That kind of thing is where the problem lies.

Yeah...if you know who the suspect is then there is no need to chase unless you know him to be armed etc. Now if he is trying to run people over then he is an immediate threat and needs to be caught NOW. Always question your own motiviations: are you chasing him because it's necessary or because you're trying to live out your Starsky and Hutch fantasies and earn bragging rights. If you are honest then you will make the right decision.

09-01-2006, 06:13 PM
Try is he a danger to the public.

09-02-2006, 08:17 PM
Most of the replies here don't address the original question. which was (paraphrased) can D4 deputies chased confirmed felony suspects? Most of the replies explained how foolish it is to chase for misdemeanors. That doesn’t address the issue. CONFIRMED FELONIES.
And if the original poster is a deputy, I'm sure he would take "D4 Dep"'s advice and stay out of D4 (if all pursuits are banned), that will allow the original poster to do his job: CATCH BAD GUYS!!!!! And let’s remember one thing about the dangers of car pursuits, NOBODY can force a deputy to pursue. Just like nobody can force a person to become a cop! If you take this job, you know the dangers you are signing up for. Let’s not start the “bring our troops home” debate. There is no draft for the armed forces and there is no draft for domestic law enforcement. This job will never be a safe job.

09-02-2006, 11:46 PM
Most of the replies here don't address the original question. which was (paraphrased) can D4 deputies chased confirmed felony suspects? Most of the replies explained how foolish it is to chase for misdemeanors. That doesn’t address the issue. CONFIRMED FELONIES.
And if the original poster is a deputy, I'm sure he would take "D4 Dep"'s advice and stay out of D4 (if all pursuits are banned), that will allow the original poster to do his job: CATCH BAD GUYS!!!!! And let’s remember one thing about the dangers of car pursuits, NOBODY can force a deputy to pursue. Just like nobody can force a person to become a cop! If you take this job, you know the dangers you are signing up for. Let’s not start the “bring our troops home” debate. There is no draft for the armed forces and there is no draft for domestic law enforcement. This job will never be a safe job.

Here's your answer.........go find out for yourself. Rob a bank and then drive by a deputy and wave at him while holding a sign that says "I'm the robber". Then if he tries to stop you run.......then you will know 1st hand what the answer is. :devil:

09-03-2006, 02:22 AM
To answer the original question at hand, YES we do follow the HCSO pursuit policy and do chase for confirmed felonies.

To the statement Uh Yeah made ref the chasing of a 13yr old in a Sig 10, if I remember the call you are talking about the suspect was the son, stepson, grandchild, or foster child of the victim and he was 13 yrs old. Lets break that down, the suspect is 13 yoa, and is related to the victim. Most cops will agree, once we start investigating it will either become a civil matter, a waiver will be signed, or the SAO will drop it. Now the question at hand on that scenario is do we chase ? If I were a supervisor and knew those facts (which were in the body of the call), I would call it off.
Nobody was left lying in a ditch dead or injured and the Agg Assault MV was probablly questionable, just to keep the pursuit going. Please do not mistake my comments, I love a good pursuit but if we want to keep pursuing at this Agency then we need to do it smart and not force the Administrations hand!

09-03-2006, 12:44 PM
If you are chasing a known suspect in a Sig10 and he crashes into and kills your wife and child will you be able to make that right in your head? I'm not saying what your answer should be...just another factor to consider.

09-03-2006, 08:51 PM
If you are chasing a known suspect in a Sig10 and he crashes into and kills your wife and child will you be able to make that right in your head? I'm not saying what your answer should be...just another factor to consider.

GET REAL!

If you are chasing OSAMA BIN LADEN and he "crashes into and kills your wife and child" it will be no more and no less painful to you than if it were merely a Signal 10.

Some speculations are simply childish.

-------------

The fact is that some policies are dictated by public opinion. When a person is charged with MURDER, it is IMPOSSIBLE for the next of kin to tell the SAO to dismiss the charges and have that happen. That is because the offense is against society, not just against the victim and next of kin.

In the same context, society (locally) will decide what chase policy is acceptable for them, and police management will be responsive to their decision, or find themselves replaced.

--------------

A strict no-chase policy is clearly counter to effective law enforcement.

09-04-2006, 03:03 AM
Ahhh....not only the "drive safe speech"....but the cheesiest of all was brought up here....."if your wife and kid bla bla bla bla"......it got really bad when that was brought out.
Good comment about OBL......what does it matter who kills your family.....does it make u feel better if a more serious felon kills them.......get a life and some common sense.
Be smart.....chase only those who really need it, and follow the policy and u will be fine.

09-04-2006, 12:19 PM
LOL...never ceases to amaze how people get so mad and frustrated that they thrash around like spoiled babies when they are presented with a no-win situation or a glimpse of reality that changes their view of the theorhetical world.

09-04-2006, 01:20 PM
LOL...never ceases to amaze how people get so mad and frustrated that they thrash around like spoiled babies when they are presented with a no-win situation or a glimpse of reality that changes their view of the theorhetical world.

If the same thing "never ceases to amaze" you, do you realize how incredibly stupid that indicates you are? :P

You did not present a "no-win situation" - I would suggest that you received an "F" in logic class in high school, but your argument suggests you never TOOK a logic class. :lol:

You haven't change my view of anything, theoretical or otherwise. You've only demonstrated that you not only can't spell, but also you have poor reasoning skills. :wink: