PDA

View Full Version : Certification Requirements

08-27-2006, 04:58 PM
Hello, just wanted to ask if anyone has knowledge about the state of GA recognizing FL law enforcement certification. I am looking to relocate to GA and apply with some L/E agencies. Any information or contact name would be greatly appreciated. L-Man

09-11-2006, 02:33 AM
You need to submit a training equivalancy comparison to Lois Mitchell at GA POST. She will determine if you meet the abbreviated training requirements (200 hours).

Most smaller or mid-size agencies will accept the 200 hour abbreviated training. However, bigger agencies in the Metro area, Atlanta, Dekalb, Cobb, Gwinnett have their own academies and require full attendace (400 hours).

Good Luck

10-26-2006, 01:14 AM
Run back to FLA as soon a possible... stay away from Atlanta PD trust me.. been on both sides of the fence and love being in FLA and not the ATL. Go back as fast as you can

03-28-2007, 01:08 PM
Run back to FLA as soon a possible... stay away from Atlanta PD trust me.. been on both sides of the fence and love being in FLA and not the ATL. Go back as fast as you can

what
's up with this please tell????

05-05-2007, 08:29 PM
Stay away from GA. I been to both sides and I am trying to get back to Florida. Florida has the best retirement and pay compared to GA.

05-15-2007, 04:23 PM
They are right. I worked in metro-Atlanta for more than 7 years. I'm now in Florida. Georgia law enforcement sucks.

Pay is low, training is two decades behind, retirements are AWFUL. A lot of departments are...um..."influenced" a bit too much by outside sources.

On the plus side, more Georgia agencies let you engage in high-speed chases if thats your thing.

Having worked in both states, I can definitely say Florida is much better!

oldschool
05-18-2007, 01:12 AM
The full academy is only 400 hours?! In FL the basic academy is something like 800 hours, and some of the schools have bumped it up to almost 900 hours with additional scenario, Homeland Security and Incident Command training....plus a state board exam...

10-01-2007, 03:08 AM
Georgia Law Enforcement generally doesn't get a take home car like a lot of the florida Agencies do but also the cost of living in Atlanta can be much cheaper than florida if you know which surburbs to look at. I personall don't think its that bad and I am thinking of moving back home. For example I found a place in Douglasville out I-20 westbound for 895.00 a month on almost an acre land. The house to pruchase would be 128,700. I know in Fulton County the dispatchers alone make 31000 starting out thats much more than I make with FHP here. I think if you guys shop around you could find an agency in Georgia as well as living arrangements that are adequate. What I have noticed is Florida is expensive and the pay here never seems to catch up. You must go and check things out for yourself my cousin is a homicide detective with APD and has been there for years.

11-01-2007, 08:53 PM
Georgia Law Enforcement generally doesn't get a take home car like a lot of the florida Agencies do but also the cost of living in Atlanta can be much cheaper than florida if you know which surburbs to look at. I personall don't think its that bad and I am thinking of moving back home. For example I found a place in Douglasville out I-20 westbound for 895.00 a month on almost an acre land. The house to pruchase would be 128,700. I know in Fulton County the dispatchers alone make 31000 starting out thats much more than I make with FHP here. I think if you guys shop around you could find an agency in Georgia as well as living arrangements that are adequate. What I have noticed is Florida is expensive and the pay here never seems to catch up. You must go and check things out for yourself my cousin is a homicide detective with APD and has been there for years.

I feel bad that you guys in FHP don't get paid more. I worked a municipality and enjoyed it in FL. I also had looked into GA, but the base of low 30's just isn't right not in this day and age for law enforcement. I didn't even look at the retirement so I can't say anything abou that. If the money were better and a solid retirement package I'd love to look into the Savannah area. Either way, stay safe everyone.

11-10-2007, 03:23 AM
I AM A FORMER APD GUY NOW WORKING FOR A FLORIDA DEPT. I HAVE NOOOO REGRETS WITH LEAVING APD,, ZONE 3 REPRESENT... I SUGGEST YOU DO YOUR HOMEWORK BEFORE YOU GO. FIRST OFF DO NOT WORK FOR ANY AGENCY IN FULTON,DEKALB OR CLAYTON COUNTIES WITH ONLY A FEW EXCEPTIONS. SANDY SPRINGS PD IN FULTON IS A NEW SMALLER CITY THAT PAYS RATHER WELL. IT IS RUN BY A FORMER DEKALB CAPT TURNED CHIEF OF MARTA PD TO SANDY SPRINGS. I HAVE A FEW FRIENDS THAT WORK THEIR AND SAY ITS A PRETTY GOOD PLACE TO WORK. AND THEY DO ACCEPT FLA CERTS FOR THIS DEPT. YOU WILL HAVE TO GOTO FULTON ACADEMY DOWN IN EAST POINT TO DO YOUR HIGH LIABILITY STUFF BUT ITS NOT BAD. AGENCIES IN COBB COUNTY ARE PRETTY GOOD. COBB CNT PD IS GOOD BUT THEY HAVE THEIR OWN ACADEMY. ALL I CAN SAY IS DO YOUR HOMEWORK BEFORE YOU GO UP THERE. LAW ENFORCEMENT IS MUCH DIFFERENT IN GEORGIA. THEIR SYSTEM OF DOING THINGS WILL DRIVE YOU NUTS. MOST THINGS THEY DO "LIKE HAVING TO TAKE OUT A WARRANT ON EVERY ARREST" ETC... WILL NOT MAKE ANY SENSE COMING FROM FLA WHERE ALL U DO IS COMPLETE AN ARREST AFFIDAVITT AND YOUR DONE WITH IT UNLESS IT GOES TO TRIAL. I CANT SAY IT ENOUGH DO YOUR HOMEWORK OR YOU'LL REGRET IT..
GOOD LUCK.........YOU'LL NEED IT

11-23-2007, 10:06 PM
That last post sounded very interesting. What does the process of "taking out a warrant" consist of? I'm a Fl LEO, and it would be interesting to hear specific comparisons between FL and GA law enforcement.

11-25-2007, 06:22 AM
Georgia and Florida do have different legal procedures, but a lot of what Atlanta does isn't done elsewhere in Georgia. Prior to moving to my current position with an urban Florida city department in Tampa Bay, I worked for a city department in the metro-Atlanta area.

In the county I worked, we had judges on-duty 24-hours a day. If you needed a search or arrest warrant, you just drive over to the courthouse, fill out an affidavit, and the judge would sign a warrant. None of the stuff I see here in Florida (such as having to involve the State Atty's Office to get an arrest warrant). In fact, just to make things very easy, each of the cities and county preceincts had a video-conferencing set-up where you could go online and talk to the judge without having to drive over to the court house. He would sign the warrant electronically, and you just printed that sucker off.

For every arrest you made on a state charge (some things you ran through the city court, so a ticket may suffice) such as domestic violence, battery, possession, etc. you had to get an arrest warrant. All that meant was you filled out a PC affidavit and took it to the on-duty judge. The nice thing about this was you got to encourage the judge to set high bonds if appropriate.

In my jurisdiction, I never had to appear in court the next day for every arrest. That is an Atlanta PD thing rarely seen at other departments.

I was never deposed on any case I made in Georgia. Depostions seem to be very commonplace here in Florida.

One nice thing about Georgia is the GA Supreme Court tossed out the law that allowed police officers to only arrest for certain misdemeanors (pretty similar to the "pc misdemeanors" here in Florida.) The GA Supreme Court said "if you have probable cause to make an arrest, the arrest is valid." So, simple assault, etc. got the ride.

Compared to Florida, the pay and retirement sucked. However, the equipment was nicer. At my department, every officer was issued a take home car (regardless of where they lived), handgun, back up gun, rifle, shotgun, and more stuff than you could imagine.

Georgia deputies have arrest powers across the state.

Generally, the public was more respectful of officers in Georgia.

Overall, I like working in Florida better. However, there are some nice points about working in Georgia.

11-25-2007, 01:22 PM
I am currently looking at a Sheriffs Office in a N/E Georgia County, just North of Lake Lanier. I am also being considered for several agencies down in Florida. I just wanted to take the time to "thank you" for an honest response and talk about Georgia Vs. Florida Law Enforcement. Many times on this site I meet people who have terrible negative attitudes. It is a big change for me as all my hooks are in Florida, but I left Florida for a quality of life issue, taxes, insurance, hurricanes and home prices.

12-05-2007, 08:18 PM
glad to help

12-28-2007, 08:07 PM
I am a officer who was from a agency in south florida and relocated to Georgia. I must say that things are different here but the QUALITY of life is much better for my family and I. I work for a department that is also near Lake Lanier and it is MUCH slower than the fast pace of South Florida. BUT I can tell you that I do not miss the hurricanes, taxes, or the outrageous house prices for a tuna can. You just need to weigh your options. No regrets! Just miss the Florida Keys but I can vacation there! GOOOD LUCK!

12-29-2007, 12:19 PM
Thanks for the info. Maybe we can hook up some day.. I am just
North of Cumming. What about places to party? in N. Ga any suggestions?

10-01-2008, 08:25 AM
I KNOW WHO YOU ARE.... YOU GOT DRAGGED ACROSS THE BAHIA HONDA BRIDGE ONE NIGHT... I WONT USE YOUR NAME ON THIS CRAPPY SITE BUT YOU WERE THE KING OF DUI'S IN MONROE CNTY. I CAN TELL BY YOUR WRITING..... I SHOULD BE A FBI PROFILER, DANG IM GOOD

I am a officer who was from a agency in south florida and relocated to Georgia. I must say that things are different here but the QUALITY of life is much better for my family and I. I work for a department that is also near Lake Lanier and it is MUCH slower than the fast pace of South Florida. BUT I can tell you that I do not miss the hurricanes, taxes, or the outrageous house prices for a tuna can. You just need to weigh your options. No regrets! Just miss the Florida Keys but I can vacation there! GOOOD LUCK!

08-12-2009, 03:15 AM
It all depends on where you work in GA. If you are in Atlanta PD its going to suck. But go work for Sandy Springs, Alpharetta, Johns Creek, Cobb County PD, Forsyth County SO, you will have a take home, good benefits, good pay, and a city and administration that backs you. Alpharetta is paying over 70k to officers who stay 7 years with the agency, thats damn good for a smaller city.

Yes I would stay the hell away from Atlanta PD, Dekalb agencies, Clayton County, or Gwinnett PD (they are having money problems).