PDA

View Full Version : New Hires

08-25-2006, 01:07 AM
Your agency has not a clue when it comes to hiring. I have recently seen some of those hired, and those turned away. Folks you are in trouble, the ones with experience and common sense are getting turned away and those that are straight dumb are being hired. Your agency hired the same folks that while on the range would point their gun's at the stall next to them while reloading instead of keeping it down range. They hired folks who made statements such as "who cares about my partner at least I am going home that night" at the completion of training senerios that they would of shot their partners. If you think I am lying about these "new hires" go to the range or agency specifics and watch the dumb founded look. I hope your FTO's weed out the problem your HR is causeing.

08-25-2006, 02:59 AM
isnt that the truth they turn one of there own sgt. boys away, they need too check up on that dr. super guy he is a joke and most of mso thinks so too but oh well, on the other hand i think there alot of outstanding deputies to make up for the dumb ones

08-25-2006, 01:00 PM
Your agency has not a clue when it comes to hiring. I have recently seen some of those hired, and those turned away. Folks you are in trouble, the ones with experience and common sense are getting turned away and those that are straight dumb are being hired. Your agency hired the same folks that while on the range would point their gun's at the stall next to them while reloading instead of keeping it down range. They hired folks who made statements such as "who cares about my partner at least I am going home that night" at the completion of training senerios that they would of shot their partners. If you think I am lying about these "new hires" go to the range or agency specifics and watch the dumb founded look. I hope your FTO's weed out the problem your HR is causeing. I've heard this over and over again about the quality of people we are hiring. I hear that we turn away ex-military applicants and hire applicants that don't have the common sense of a billy goat. Why we would do that is a question I would ask the Sheriff, If the applicant was good enough for the US Military, why are they not good enough for us? Especially if they had no problems in the military and excelled in the military. I ask, what or who stopped them from being hired? Was it the psychological, the polygraph, the background? What was it that would cause the Manatee County Sheriff's Office from hiring an honorably discharged soldier? I as a Deputy would much rather work with a person who already has the background of working as a team, then a fresh face high school kid who had problems following the rules as a Sheriff's Office Explorer. In this day and age in Manatee County, the previous experience of a soldier would be extremely helpful when training them to become a Deputy. They already have the basic knowledge of following the rules, working as a team and what it's like to be under pressure and get through it. As an FTO, I can teach you to write a report, work a radio, find your way around and what the rules are, but I can't teach common sense to an out of control kid who's never had any experience in life! I hear the new HR director is trying to make a change for the better in the hiring process, I can only hope this to be true. We as Deputies are working our asses off and could use some good people to help us. I know the Sheriff won't lower his hiring standards, but maybe some of the issues that are causing us to not get acceptable applicants could be looked at. There has to be some reason why we are getting shyt recruits, while others who were turned away, go to another department and excel in the job.

08-25-2006, 02:13 PM
AMEN

08-25-2006, 03:06 PM
I agree with the post about looking harder at the military. When i got hire years ago the agency brushed aside my military service and it was a non factor in my hiring. While i have nothing against a collage degree i think life experince is much more useful in our everyday job. Most new employees seem to think that if they have a degree its automatic they will pass the FTEP. While they are good with grammer and spelling they have no clue about what it takes to become a valuable police office. By no means am i discounting a collage education but lets give it the weight it deserves, same as a vet, nothing more, nothing less.

08-25-2006, 08:57 PM
Sheriff Wells:
Your agency turns its back on U.S. Vets. That statement alone tells me what kind of man you are. You can blame it on your HR director or who ever else but YOU are in charge. I look up to vets, men and women alike. The history of our country is written in their blood. When election time comes around I won't forget. Out country's vets won and safeguarded that right for me. Time for a new Sheriff, one who was never associated with you and your anti vet views. All you folks who read this let your friends in the VFW, American Legion etc.. know what is going on.

08-25-2006, 10:10 PM
10-39......

08-26-2006, 12:57 AM
Sheriff Wells:
Your agency turns its back on U.S. Vets. That statement alone tells me what kind of man you are. You can blame it on your HR director or who ever else but YOU are in charge. I look up to vets, men and women alike. The history of our country is written in their blood. When election time comes around I won't forget. Out country's vets won and safeguarded that right for me. Time for a new Sheriff, one who was never associated with you and your anti vet views. All you folks who read this let your friends in the VFW, American Legion etc.. know what is going on.

Let them know what is going on..?? A few vets feelings are hurt because they didnt have what it takes to be a police officer/deputy..?? There is a huge difference in the two.. A good soldier does not automaticaly make a good cop, and visa versa...Each person should and I hope hired on thier own merit, not on thier ability to "follow orders". A good cop has MANY facets to his job, not just following orders...I appreciate what all vets have done in the present and past..I am just as appreciative as what these deputies do in the here and now...
Some vets do thier 4 or 6 years hoping to get a good education and thier out...These poor cops are in the "battle zone" EVERY SHIFT and dont get near enough credit for thier twenty years of service...A little of thew subject, but these cops should be able to be buried in National Cemetary also, they deserve the same respect...And before you ask..I am still in the military, but I dont and would not expect and preferenital treatment no matter what job I try for later...(Sorry no spell check) :D :D

08-26-2006, 01:43 AM
Good example is K.B. Huff's son. The poor ******* almost has his head blown off in battle in Iraq and then nearly died. Now that he recovered, he applied here only to be told by that MORON Super man that he didnt pass the psych test?? I guess he was good enough to go to that foreign shit hole and fight over oil, ooops I mean for this country however he isnt psych ready to be a Deputy at this po-dunk S.O. This place better re-evaluate what the hell they are doing before chico and his man(s) take over this whole county

08-26-2006, 02:15 AM
M_S_O I am not disagreeing with your comment about Super, but Huff did not fail the Psych. He is re-taking the polt some time this month.

08-26-2006, 02:42 AM
If that is not the case I apologize. I knew they turned him down and my inside guy advised it was the Super-Psych. If that isnt what gigged him I stand corrected. In closing tho Super need's to be relieved.... does anyone else agree??

08-26-2006, 03:32 AM
hell yeah super is a moron they said that huff was hiding sum thing that why they failed him well hmm. the kid was overseas and got shot up i wonder what he might be hiding maybe the fact that he didnt want to remember the thing that happened over there. i tell u dr. sUPER NEEDS TO HAVE FOOT IN HIS ASH HE'S A MORON

08-26-2006, 11:39 AM
How does Huffs kid get turned down and the traffic sgt's smart ass kid gets through? And is super the final decesion maker at this agency as to who gets hired and who wont?

08-26-2006, 03:07 PM
Its starting to seem that way isnt it

CTFUUU
08-26-2006, 03:52 PM
Its starting to seem that way isnt itNice try Foolio! Unfortunately you don't have the intelligence to use my form of grammar. tsk tsk, I'm so envied...LMAOOOOOOOOOOO

CTFUUU
08-26-2006, 03:59 PM
Its starting to seem that way isnt itNice try Foolio! Unfortunately you don't have the intelligence to use my form of grammar. tsk tsk, I'm so envied...LMAOOOOOOOOOOOOh, and BTW "M_E", if I would have written that sentence it would have looked more like this;

It's starting to seem that way, isn't it?

"M_E", now you too can feel "picked on". Great signature, huh?

08-26-2006, 04:31 PM
Sheriff Wells:

Let them know what is going on..?? A few vets feelings are hurt because they didnt have what it takes to be a police officer/deputy..?? There is a huge difference in the two.. A good soldier does not automaticaly make a good cop, and visa versa...Each person should and I hope hired on thier own merit, not on thier ability to "follow orders". A good cop has MANY facets to his job, not just following orders...I appreciate what all vets have done in the present and past..I am just as appreciative as what these deputies do in the here and now...
Some vets do thier 4 or 6 years hoping to get a good education and thier out...These poor cops are in the "battle zone" EVERY SHIFT and dont get near enough credit for thier twenty years of service...A little of thew subject, but these cops should be able to be buried in National Cemetary also, they deserve the same respect...And before you ask..I am still in the military, but I dont and would not expect and preferenital treatment no matter what job I try for later...(Sorry no spell check) :D :D

I find it hard to believe you are in the military. (maybe college ROTC?) You have no loyalty to the brave men and women serving and that means you have no HONOR. Until someone has served in combat they have no right to speak of a "battle zone". You are what we would call a PX hero. Someone who buys ribbons they don't deserve pins them on and says "Look At Me" . I am looking and I don't like what I see. One last thing. You should have learned (if you do serve) that taking orders is just the beginning. Being a Soldier, Sailor, or Marine involves much, much more. Good luck with your career, you have much to learn.

08-26-2006, 06:58 PM
How does Huffs kid get turned down and the traffic sgt's smart arse kid gets through? And is super the final decesion maker at this agency as to who gets hired and who wont?

THe EEB board is the final say.

CTFUUU
08-26-2006, 07:41 PM
The EEB has the final say? Is that based on the information they are given from the Polygraph, psychological, background and physical assessment? Do they interview the the candidate or is it just reviewed, based on what's on paper?

08-26-2006, 09:23 PM
The board. Who are they? What do they know about hiring someone? If you are one of the good ole boys your kid or step-kid (I won't name the person) gets in no matter what. Up the road what will happen when one of these boys messes up. (I heard that one ran out to his car and put on his gun as soon as he got sworn in) Who will take the blame? The board? I don't think so. CW? No, he will claim that he can't be everywhere. They will just blame his FTO or Sgt. or maybe some poor dep that got stuck on a call with him. History tells us that the kids of the Good Ol Boys get away with it every time. The others are guilty until proven innocent. (Funny, its like the Napolianic law they practice in Mexico). When one of these kids messes up, don't protect them or their family. Tell the truth and see what happens. Let their "daddy" deal with it.
REMEMBER IT A GOVERNMENT BY THE PEOPLE, OF THE PEOPLE AND FOR THE PEOPLE. ALL THE PEOPLE, NOT JUST THE GOOD OLE BOYS!

08-27-2006, 02:07 AM
CTFUUU you rock gal! LOL! :lol:

08-27-2006, 02:48 AM
I am so glad that others see what I am talking about! FTO's take notice, and remember the term: vicarious liability.
When is agency qualification? Pre or post swear in? If it is after which is how my agency does it. Why does this kid have a gun on? I would like to see if he can pass qualification. I have seen him shoot...

08-27-2006, 03:18 PM
It doesn't matter if the RD is qualified or not. The FTEP program is still in the practice of putting RDs with FTOs who are going to pass them regardless of what the previous FTOs have documented and told the FTEP supervisor. I'd rather work short handed and run call to call then have T94 that will end up getting me hurt.

08-27-2006, 05:35 PM
The EEB has the final say? Is that based on the information they are given from the Polygraph, psychological, background and physical assessment? Do they interview the the candidate or is it just reviewed, based on what's on paper?

I dont know to be honest, it is just what has been relayed to me before.

08-31-2006, 04:48 PM
10 Reasons to Hire Vets

Accelerated learning curve.
Veterans have the proven ability to learn new skills and concepts. In addition, they can enter your workforce with identifiable and transferable skills, proven in real-world situations. This background can enhance your organization's productivity.

Leadership.
The military trains people to lead by example as well as through direction, delegation, motivation, and inspiration. Veterans understand the practical ways to manage behaviors for results, even in the most trying circumstances. They also know the dynamics of leadership as part of both hierarchical and peer structures.

Teamwork.
Veterans understand how genuine teamwork grows out of a responsibility to one's colleagues. Military duties involve a blend of individual and group productivity. They also necessitate a perception of how groups of all sizes relate to each other and an overarching objective.

Diversity and inclusion in action.
Veterans have learned to work side by side with individuals regardless of diverse race, gender, geographic origin, ethnic background, religion, and economic status as well as mental, physical, and attitudinal capabilities. They have the sensitivity to cooperate with many different types of individuals.

Efficient performance under pressure.
Veterans understand the rigors of tight schedules and limited resources. They have developed the capacity to know how to accomplish priorities on time, in spite of tremendous stress. They know the critical importance of staying with a task until it is done right.

Respect for procedures.
Veterans have gained a unique perspective on the value of accountability. They can grasp their place within an organizational framework, becoming responsible for subordinates' actions to higher supervisory levels. They know how policies and procedures enable an organization to exist.

Technology and globalization.
Because of their experiences in the service, veterans are usually aware of international and technical trends pertinent to business and industry. They can bring the kind of global outlook and technological savvy that all enterprises of any size need to succeed.

Integrity.
Veterans know what it means to do "an honest day's work." Prospective employers can take advantage of a track record of integrity, often including security clearances. This integrity translates into qualities of sincerity and trustworthiness.

Conscious of health and safety standards.
Thanks to extensive training, veterans are aware of health and safety protocols both for themselves and the welfare of others. Individually, they represent a drug-free workforce that is cognizant of maintaining personal health and fitness. On a company level, their awareness and conscientiousness translate into protection of employees, property, and materials.

Triumph over adversity.
In addition to dealing positively with the typical issues of personal maturity, veterans have frequently triumphed over great adversity. They likely have proven their mettle in mission critical situations demanding endurance, stamina, and flexibility. They may have overcome personal disabilities through strength and determination.

Hey Doc, don't you wish you could be described this way? Maybe you are suffering from "Soldier Envy" or have a crush on Jane Fonda.

09-02-2006, 02:58 AM
Sheriff Wells:
FOR YOUR INFORMATION....OUR "HR DIRECTOR" or as we call him our "Personnel Director" is a recently RETIRED US MARINE, who is an outstanding person...but let's leave him out of it. The MCSO does not turn it's back on vets, no sir, far from it. We are all very patriotic including our SHERIFF. We are VERY proud of all of our service members. We welcome them home with open arms and would defend their honor as our brothers and sisters when some misguided individual speaks of them with disrespect. But lets look at one thing. We have a STANDARD HIRING PROCESS. If the MCSO did not follow the use of the psych, polygraph and background during the hiring process there would certainly be some degree of negligence. Yes, we have had a few go astray recently. But that was not the process that failed, that was the human being that filled the position that failed. It was their individual weakness. They betrayed our trust, loyalty and the oath they swore. This also happens in the Military. That is why ALL prior Law Enforcement Officers and Military Personnel go through the same hiring process. Do you feel we should simply disregard this hiring standard Law Enforcement Positions because someone served in the Military? (Rhetorical question). I served in the Military and I didn't feel it gave me an entitlement to anything other than a FAIR OPPORTUNITY TO APPLY. I would however be absolutely in favor of giving priority to a prior service member if there was one position open and two or more equally qualified candidates. That's a no-brainer. One served their Country honorably and the other(s)....well, did whatever.

09-02-2006, 04:07 AM
Ten hut, all you Vets. I hear Commissioner Hayes is competing with Sheriff Wells, and forming up her own new LE agency to police Myakka. Only special requirement is you gotta play ball. 8)

09-04-2006, 07:27 PM
I personally know someone who was not hired due to Supers' evaluation. This person has experience (state) and would be a great asset to this agency, not to mention the fact that she is a female and from what I hear and see, this agency is in desperate need of more female road deputies.

09-04-2006, 10:45 PM
Ball, Im asking you to be more specific on the Myakka T43.
Thats the first Ive heard on that one.
Rumors have been circulating for some time about Lakewood Ranch wanting to incorporate and have their own P.D. but as of late Ive heard no futher.
Are you referring to Lakewood Ranch or East of CR675?
Do you have any further?

09-04-2006, 11:01 PM
T22 on that Ball. I found the 43 in an older thread and another source.

09-05-2006, 04:39 AM
LAST thing we need is more females out here. That alway's ties up a male deputy to keep the little girls from getting the Tampon knocked out of them.

09-05-2006, 04:49 AM
One day you'll eat those words! I only hope I'm there to see your arse thank that female!

09-05-2006, 01:32 PM
And then you ask for a female to search your 10-15.

When you are betting your butt kicked, and your female 10-94 runs up to help you, be a MAN and say "STAND BACK LITTLE GIRL, I CAN HANDLE THIS"! :lol: :lol: :lol:

09-05-2006, 01:34 PM
And then you ask for a female to search your 10-15.

When you are getting your butt kicked, and your female 10-94 runs up to help you, be a MAN and say "STAND BACK LITTLE GIRL, I CAN HANDLE THIS"! :lol: :lol: :lol:

09-05-2006, 07:02 PM
There is a HUGE difference in a Veteran and someone who was in the military....
For every person in the military who was directly involved in Combat.. there were 6 who weren't.
This agency has VERY FEW actual Combat Veterans.....but a lot of people who were in the military....
This agency is not anti-vet, but it sure has a "weird" sense of loyalty.."good Ole Boy"..mentality, etc. But, that is not unique to MSO either...
Let's look inside the agency to find qualified, proven people to fill various positions that need filling.
Why aren't all the LEO certified people in the Agency FTO'd ?
What a valuable resource that would be........
During the last budget meeting with the County the ratio of Deputies to inmate ratio was 84/1...Check your math... Walk through a POD lately? Let's not fabricate #'s
If "the road" is so short, don't we have in-house people we could rotate to the road and put the "new-hires" in the Jail?
(Seems to be a common practice that works, and helps "screen" the people that would eventually be dealing with the public)
Oh My!! Common Sense and Logic........
Just an old cop/VET.........

09-07-2006, 06:28 AM
"I didnt get hired cuz a doctur super, wah wah,"
No, you didnt get hired cuz you have meth mouth and your a dumb ass.

09-08-2006, 08:10 AM
Actually it was your prayers being answered in disguise. That way you were able to go to a Professional and respected agency like SSO.

10-19-2006, 07:26 AM
If that is not the case I apologize. I knew they turned him down and my inside guy advised it was the Super-Psych. If that isnt what gigged him I stand corrected. In closing tho Super need's to be relieved.... does anyone else agree??

A lot of s agree. He should be fired and have is license pulled. He does what he is told but the man or IA. I know this!

10-19-2006, 07:33 AM
There is a HUGE difference in a Veteran and someone who was in the military....
For every person in the military who was directly involved in Combat.. there were 6 who weren't.
This agency has VERY FEW actual Combat Veterans.....but a lot of people who were in the military....
This agency is not anti-vet, but it sure has a "weird" sense of loyalty.."good Ole Boy"..mentality, etc. But, that is not unique to MSO either...
Let's look inside the agency to find qualified, proven people to fill various positions that need filling.
Why aren't all the LEO certified people in the Agency FTO'd ?
What a valuable resource that would be........
During the last budget meeting with the County the ratio of Deputies to inmate ratio was 84/1...Check your math... Walk through a POD lately? Let's not fabricate #'s
If "the road" is so short, don't we have in-house people we could rotate to the road and put the "new-hires" in the Jail?
(Seems to be a common practice that works, and helps "screen" the people that would eventually be dealing with the public)
Oh My!! Common Sense and Logic........
Just an old cop/VET.........

Hmmm, I wonder what the road/real deputy to population of Manatee County ratio is??? Thats what patrol deals with. Most of the people in the jail are there and stay there because they can't. The ones who want to come out and at the same time can handle it out here do just that.

jailerforlife
10-19-2006, 01:05 PM
Only "real" Deputies work the road? And the ones that stay in the jail aren't "real" Deputies and can't handle what, working the road? Give me a break. Some of us choose to stay in the jail, not because we can't handle something, but because it is our choice and some one with some balls has to be crazy to put with the sh*t we do. Let me see you come work the jail for just one pay period. Just remember, there is no place for you to go drive and hide out for while.
And when you guys piss off the 10-15s on the way to jail, who do you ask for assistance? Thats right, the Deputies that can't handle something. But since that is our job to assist our fellow Deputies when in need, don't worry, we'll still help you out.

10-23-2006, 07:03 PM
Im waiting on a decision from the eligibility board to get hired. The board met and now I was told I have to wait for a letter in the mail from the board does anyone know if this if this is how the board tells you you passed or is this a thanks for applying letter?

10-28-2006, 02:23 PM
jailerforlife- I agree with most everything you said- i would not want to work in the jail- i like the freedom to move about not locked down like the inmates. Just know this though the way the road has been the last 2 yrs there is no hidding to get a break- not west side anyway. We are getting our butts handed to us on daily basis cause of lack of man power.- I speak for west side only cause that is where i work.