PDA

View Full Version : Moderate - Don't Opinionate

08-24-2006, 10:21 PM
On the thread "Ban Semiautomatic Guns" Mod 184 posted this message:

"I am curious as to why the opinion on gun control by someone running for school board is that important! Please, enthrall me with your insight."

This appears to me to be a sarcastic, negative post. "Enthrall me...." is clearly sarcasm.

This amounts to an attack on the previous poster and seems to me to be an inappropriate activity for a Moderator!

In your role as Moderator you should "police" the board for violations of the Rules of Use - not express opinions or attack the messages of posters.

You are an "official" of the board - not a participant.

You are the "referee" - not a player.

If you want to take a position on an issue, or in some other manner comment on a post you should do it as most other people do - under a screen name. Not under your identity as Moderator.

:!:

08-24-2006, 11:21 PM
Shut your pie hole, If he has an opinion he can give it. Why not?

Your view of what Mods do is not important, only the Leoaffairs leaders determine that.

He volunteered to do a job, no where did it say he can no longer participate.

Your uninformed opinions are worthless. learn, then speak.

08-25-2006, 12:58 AM
Let everyone speak as long as they don't name names and accuse someone of misconduct or lying by insinuation or naming names. And by the way, what is a non minority officer's trump card, someone might need one, and I can't figure it out....blue eyes, brown eyes, short, tall, fat, skinny, northerner, southerner, tatoos, family, WHAT IS IT ?? I need a trump card to toss, and I ain't got one !! :devil: I need help, Jesse, Al, where are you, puleeeeze show me da way, I neeeds help!

08-25-2006, 01:35 AM
Shut your pie hole, If he has an opinion he can give it. Why not?

I just explained why not.

Too bad you can't understand. :roll:

08-25-2006, 03:08 AM
I DO understand, for some reason you believe you are the keeper of the MOD rules?

I understand perfectly that you are so full of yourself that you believe you are the last word on who gets to do what.

I understand fully that you cannot comprehend ANYONE elses rules other than the ones you pull outta your butt.

I reiterate:

"shut your piehole"

08-25-2006, 04:54 PM
I DO understand, for some reason you believe you are the keeper of the MOD rules?

I understand perfectly that you are so full of yourself that you believe you are the last word on who gets to do what.

I understand fully that you cannot comprehend ANYONE elses rules other than the ones you pull outta your butt.

I reiterate:

"shut your piehole"

It sounds like Mod 184 took the advice and is now posting messages under the screen name "not 184."

:? :? :o :o :) :) :) :) :D :D :D :D :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :P :P :P :P :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

08-25-2006, 05:01 PM
It sounds like Mod 184 took the advice and is now posting messages under the screen name "not 184."

OK, Ok... That was a cheap shot, intended as a JOKE.

I DON'T think Mod 184 posted as "not 184" - I just though it made a funny joke.

I think Mod 184 has too much class to keep saying "shut your pie hole."

:wink:

mod 184
08-26-2006, 02:59 AM
Took the advice, you are right, I am not Not Mod 184, and thanks for the compliment. I have other "alter egos" I use to post things I don't fell I should post as the Moderator. Bare in mind I highly scrutinize my postings, probably more than I should, and have deleted long diatribes I realized had gotten out of hand. It does make for great therapy, though, to sit and right something scathing and then just click back on the HCSO Forum link and it goes away. As to the original poster of this string, I was quite shocked by how you misinterpretted (sp?) my reply to Read This!. First, if you should feel I am belittling someone, or otherwise acting inappropriately, please feel free to email MOD 1 or 2, and me for that matter, and let us know. Second, my use of the word "enthrall", while apparently offensive to some, was in no way my intention of attacking Read This!. I saw it as dry humor, and a spin from "Silence of the Lambs."
Finally, let me say I appreciate everyone who posts here and abides by the User Agreement. I have enjoyed some great debates. And as I have said in the past, I find humorous postings to be just that...humor. My skin is rather thick and leathery, so I am not offended by satire, irony, or sarcasm...I rather enjoy it. So as always, I wish you ALL to stay safe and look forward to reading your thoughts and ideas.

Centurion
08-26-2006, 03:53 PM
Let everyone speak as long as they don't name names and accuse someone of misconduct or lying by insinuation or naming names. And by the way, what is a non minority officer's trump card, someone might need one, and I can't figure it out....blue eyes, brown eyes, short, tall, fat, skinny, northerner, southerner, tatoos, family, WHAT IS IT ?? I need a trump card to toss, and I ain't got one !! :devil: I need help, Jesse, Al, where are you, puleeeeze show me da way, I neeeds help!

You don't need a trump card, as the truth is the ultimate trump. Those who use them are usually trying to block or obfuscate the truth, therefore resort to such a device as a trump card. The truth is a rock, and when it is the foundation for a thoughtfully crafted argument, it is devastating. Believe in yourself and you will blow your mind.

An example of someone I feel does this well is a scholar named Victor Davis Hanson. He is just brilliant in my humble opinion. There are inspirational others, Daniel Pipes, and Michelle Malkin to name a couple.

Dr. Hanson’s thoughts can be found at http://www.victorhanson.com/

Be safe out there!

Sysop
08-31-2006, 01:44 AM
The following is my response to a complaint posted on the Main Message Board about Mod 184:

Funny you should make this post, as I actually read the original string and had the same questions that Mod 184 did on the HCSO Message Board. I wasn't sure what purpose that particular posting had on our Message Board and, frankly, I still don't know. But, to answer the question I believe you were trying to ask me...No, I have no problem with the way Mod 184 handled the situation. In fact, one could argue that instead of deleting the post (which I almost did), at least Mod 184 afforded the poster the opportunity to explain the relevance of the string.

Look, our Moderators are unpaid volunteers who donate their time to enforce our Terms of Use as well as cultivate the Boards. I agree with most of what your interpretation of a Moderator is, however, I believe that you misinterpreted Mod 184's post as sarcastic and negative. A lot of what Moderators do is subjective and Mod 184's approach to the situation, at least to me, seemed to be light hearted.

09-01-2006, 01:27 AM
I actually read the original string and had the same questions that Mod 184 did on the HCSO Message Board. I wasn't sure what purpose that particular posting had on our Message Board and, frankly, I still don't know. But, to answer the question I believe you were trying to ask me...No, I have no problem with the way Mod 184 handled the situation. In fact, one could argue that instead of deleting the post (which I almost did), at least Mod 184 afforded the poster the opportunity to explain the relevance of the string.

This was my thought process:

PURPOSE: It seemed to me that having leoaffairs endorse a candidate for judge, the board was opened up for political discussion.

Although I don't see the relevance of asking a school board candidate a question about banning semiautomatic firearms, the fact is that some group asked the question, and I was expressing my opposition to the candidate who answered in the affirmative.

Although I see no opportunity for her to enact her agenda, the fact that as a school board member she could influence having this view communicated to our school children was sufficient for me to oppose her.

DELETING THE POST: What part of the Terms of Use were violated that would justify deleting the post? You can go to almost any active site and find threads that do not appear to be particularly applicable to that site - they don't get deleted.

MY VIEW: I persist in my view that the mod should be a "referee" and not a participant in discussions. He could quite simply use an anonymous name when posting his own opinions. When he posts as a mod he seems to be articulating the "official position" of leoaffairs.com. But, if you don't see it that way, and you own the board - so be it.

09-02-2006, 02:25 AM
It's funny that Leoaffairs.com has unpaid mod's. When leoaffairs.com sells advertising for a really large cost. So chip wants to make money but the mods should work for free. I quess we all know what this is about now. A way for Chip to fill his pocket with money. The use of free services from others to make his life easy. I think it's quite funny this board is supposed to help cops when all it's really doing is helping someone with no credibility keep from getting stomped on by the brass. They were fighting for our rights in the lawsuit right? NO, just the rights to make more money. No wonder the public hates cops. Because the select few are what make us look bad. Hey Chip, why don't you show us the bank account so we can see your true colors. You'll probably delete this since it's the truth.

09-02-2006, 02:54 AM
Where the heck did that come from?

Do you know what servers cost these days skippy? bandwidth?

You're a moron of great renown.

09-02-2006, 04:59 AM
The cost of servers has actually gone down these days. You can get a years of hosting for very cheap. Thats a poor excuse. Leoaffairs.com is a for profit company with bad intensions in mind for all of us.

mod 166
09-02-2006, 01:09 PM
It's funny that Leoaffairs.com has unpaid mod's. When leoaffairs.com sells advertising for a really large cost. So chip wants to make money but the mods should work for free. I quess we all know what this is about now. A way for Chip to fill his pocket with money. The use of free services from others to make his life easy. I think it's quite funny this board is supposed to help cops when all it's really doing is helping someone with no credibility keep from getting stomped on by the brass. They were fighting for our rights in the lawsuit right? NO, just the rights to make more money. No wonder the public hates cops. Because the select few are what make us look bad. Hey Chip, why don't you show us the bank account so we can see your true colors. You'll probably delete this since it's the truth.

As a volunteer, unpaid moderator I hope Chip and Jim GET RICH from this site - although I know that is #1. Not what's happening and #2. Not why they established the forum.

Although I was a vocal opponent of the sleezy posters who used to anonymously slime the Sheriff and his staff, I recognized the validity of the concept of having a site where people could voice criticism of the operation of the agency without fear of draconian reprisals. This is that site.

Chip and Jim put a lot of work into creating and operating leoaffairs. Why should they not profit? Moderators volunteer to participate, for free, for a variety of reasons. No one is compelled to volunteer.

The cost of servers has actually gone down these days. You can get a years of hosting for very cheap. Thats a poor excuse. Leoaffairs.com is a for profit company with bad intensions in mind for all of us.

Again, explain to me the bad part of operating a "for profit" enterprise. What is your persuasion - communist? In all likelihood you wish you had thought of it first! :wink:

And I would like for you to be very specific about the "bad intentions" they have "in mind" for "all of us."

Spell out their "bad intentions."

How do you know what someone else has "in mind?"

And who are "all of us" in view of the fact that these posts are often either:

Rank versus subordinates,

Management versus labor, and

Anti-union versus pro-union (among labor.)

My original reaction to your post was that you were a management person trying to discredit the board.

I'm now more inclined to think that you are a pro-union person who resents the anti-PBA (not anti-union) posts that are becoming more and more frequent.

Specifics please, don't ramble............................

8)

09-02-2006, 01:32 PM

"Bad intensions in mind" for when the brass messes up and we can post about it? Whats wrong with holding someone accountable.......oh I know you still the top spot is God in our agency.........sorry Charlie, not so and we will not treat him/her as such until he/her and staff treats us as humans instead of a number.

09-02-2006, 10:32 PM
Don't know who you are and personally don't, However i think your a little off on this. Yes hosting is cheaper now than ever before, but you still have to pay for it. I personally know Jim Preston and he is one of the most outstanding people i have ever met. Chip is a good person also, a little over defesive but still a good person. (But what do expect from a guy whose career was put in jepordy by the system he works for.) Being the person that created leoaffairs.com logo i know what goes on behind the seen. Now i can't comment on the financial earnings of Leoaffairs.com, because i simply don't know. I ask one question. What the hell is the problem with a small business making money? Do you question the guy making your vest? Thats their for your benefit. I believe Leoaffairs.com was created with the best intensions. While I don't agree with everything people post, it is their right to do so. Whats said is obviously you have no dam idea what you were talking about. If they are getting rich were id the living large life style that goes with it. While i'm no longer a part of Leoaffairs.com, I still believe they have the best of intensions. Jim Preston wouldn't have it any other way. Stop being jealous and create your own board. Don't be a player hater, get your own game. PUNK.

Dan.

PS post your name slappy if you got the NUTZ. I stand in your face and debate it.

09-02-2006, 10:38 PM
Don't know who you are and personally don't care, However i think your a little off on this. Yes hosting is cheaper now than ever before, but you still have to pay for it. I personally know Jim Preston and he is one of the most outstanding people i have ever met. Chip is a good person also, a little over defensive but still a good person. (But what do expect from a guy whose career was put in jepordy by the system he works for.) Being the person that created leoaffairs.com logo i know what goes on behind the seen. Now i can't comment on the financial earnings of Leoaffairs.com, because i simply don't know. I ask one question. What the hell is the problem with a small business making money? Do you question the guy making your vest? Thats their for your benefit. I believe Leoaffairs.com was created with the best intensions. While I don't agree with everything people post, it is their right to do so. The fact id you have no damn idea what you were talking about. If they are getting rich were is the living large life style that goes with it. While i'm no longer a part of Leoaffairs.com, I still believe they have the best of intensions. Jim Preston wouldn't have it any other way. Stop being jealous and create your own board. Don't be a player hater, get your own game. PUNK.

Dan.

PS post your name slappy if you got the NUTZ. I'll stand in your face and debate it.

mod 184
09-03-2006, 01:47 AM
Furthermore, this the attorney that represents leoaffairs.com is probably one of the best 1st amendment attornies within the State of Florida, and definitely within the 13th Circuit. Think he comes cheap or free? Also, you have no idea what upgrades have been and continue to be made to this board by Chip and Jim. Also, why should you care how much advertising costs to be put on this board? It is because of the advertising that it costs you nothing to use this board. As someone who owns/runs a business on top of being a deputy, I understand that there are costs to running a business, and on a good day, I make more than it costs to run. That is the American way, I do believe.
As to moderating for free, that is the only way I would have it. Getting a pay check from leoaffairs opens up too many avenues that I would rather no one go down...like a paper trail as to who I am, for one!
Finally, let me address the deleting of posts based on personal attacks. Personal attacks are subjective to a degree. Apparently, dry humor, or even sarcasm, is viewed by some as a personal attack on someone. I hope that anyone you feels this way is NOT in law enforcement! If you are then I feel sorry for you because rarely a day goes by that I don't make someone unhappy and reap the benefits accordingly. Sysop felt that the post reference my post to Read This was an attack on me. See the subjectivity here? I let it go because I can handle about anything you say to or about me. However, if it is just downright nasty and something I would not want a minor to read, then hasta la vista, baby! And the post about Chip and Jim falls here as far as I was concerned, but again, because deleting it could have been construed as self-serving, I left it for all to see. After all, if we cannot stand up to critical scrutinization by all, then how can we expect people to tolerate ours? And blatant attacks on other people will go. Some in the past were of the nature of "deputy so and so is a !@#@$%!" Gone! Someone's spouse is sleeping with someone else. Gone.
Now I realize I have made some opinion here as the moderator, but given where this string has gone, I feel I must respond as such. As I have stated earlier, I have alter egos I use, and will continue to do so.

09-03-2006, 02:23 AM
One more thing Nancy, If i'm not mistaken Chip and Jim BOUGHT their servers, this way they are secure. price those out, you moron.

These two guys do a service to us everyday these sites are up, we know admins read them, so problems MIGHT be addressed, newspaper reporters read them, same thing, good for us.

Exposing things that go on that might otherwise is invaluable, I would pay to stay on this site, so you are a voice in the wilderness, all alone, go take your meds and lie down before the guards find out you're on the computer.

09-03-2006, 05:36 AM
i say we track his ip and open a can. Who's with me.

Dan.

09-03-2006, 05:01 PM
Let me get this straight...

Jim helps Chip thru an IA and criminal investigation in which Chip was wrongly targeted and ultimately cleared. They both decide to create this website to help cops out and prevent what happened to Chip from happening to others. They start this business with money out of their own pockets and now it's been around for almost 4 years. The entire site is FREE to everyone and advertisers foot the bill. Jim and Chip entered into a legal battle to protect HCSO deputies and fought a very expensive battle for us...did they ever ask us for money, donations, etc.? No! It's a for-profit business? Good for them.

Maybe they should make leoaffairs.com a not-for-profit like the union. All of us could then pay dues into them every month and donate a portion of our sick time for them to work too. They would still be able to have paying advertisers like the union does and even get an extra $2,000 per month (Stipin) for off-duty and overtime they don't have a chance to work. Hmm, doesn't sound too not-for-profit to me...

I pray your attempts to drive a wedge between users and the founders of this site will only result in the truth coming out and a stronger bond being built.

09-03-2006, 08:37 PM
i say we track his ip and open a can. Who's with me.
Dan.

Call out the villagers! Light the torches! Get a rope! Storm the castle! Kill the monster!

:devil: :twisted: :evil: :twisted: :cop: :cop: :devil: :evil: :evil: :devil: :devil:

OR....... ignore the ignorant %*(&$#. 8)

09-04-2006, 05:16 AM
I agree with "I Agree".

Dan