PDA

View Full Version : Alumni Association

08-24-2006, 02:29 PM
I am a retired officer and see that you have an Alumni Assoc. How can I start one for my department. Not getting any help from PBA. When you retire your gone and not wanted with them.
Losing benefits without representation.
Thanks

Carl Shawver
08-24-2006, 02:46 PM
I am a retired officer and see that you have an Alumni Assoc. How can I start one for my department. Not getting any help from PBA. When you retire your gone and not wanted with them.
Losing benefits without representation.
Thanks

Our Alumni Association owes a lot of its success to the fact that we are strongly supported by the Sheriff.

The concept of forming the association was advanced several years ago by a Major who is now retired. Our former sheriff supported the idea and the current Sheriff stands firmly in favor of it.

It is solely a social organization. The Sheriff does not control it, but does have a Major assigned as liaision to the Association. He and/or a Captain working for him attends our monthly Advisory Board meetings and our quarterly Association meetings. This works well because it assures immediate feedback to the Sheriff with regard to the concerns of the retirees. One result of this is that the Sheriff has set aside a time when retirees may use the pistol range for the purpose of qualifying under the provisions of HR-218.

We also have a monthly informal breakfast get-together with no meeting or agenda - just getting together in the same room.

Our formal meetings, at which we have full meals (sponsored by various businesses in the area) usually have a guest speaker who gives information on matters of concern to retirees. This includes health, health insurance, finances, living wills, and more.

I am pressed for time right now and cannot write more, but if you have any further questions just post them and I will respond.

08-24-2006, 10:09 PM
Thank you for that info. It is a lot of info to start from.