PDA

View Full Version : injured officers

08-21-2006, 10:40 AM
a serious question for you guys: this is not a joke and coming from an injured officer facing termination...

In the event an officer in your agency receives a permanent disabling injury, what does your agency do? Does it try to find another position within the organization, or does it terminate you (as I am currently facing)?

Do they try to work with the officer, or simply state that if he/she cannot do the job theres the door?

Thanks for any feedback you might have

v-man1

08-21-2006, 07:59 PM
Just ask former LPD officer ID #177....he was a golden child (a little wierd, but golden) until he broke his leg on duty trying to help another officer in a fight. Most people would have taken the permanent disability (60%, which he qualified for), but instead he sucked it up and kept working, because he loved the job. :?

Then shortly thereafter, he was involved in an incident on New Years Eve 1999, where he reported to two supervisors (one who CLAIMED to be his good friend, right BB?) the outcome (because they asked him face to face), but when a complaint was lodged, the two then-sgts lied and said 177 never told them what had happened.

This officer was then taken off of the road and faced the humiliation of working the city front desk until his 10 years were up so he could be forced to retire. After that, he kind of lost it and did some real off-the-wall stuff, probably due to the stress of his so-called "friends" hanging him out to dry.

He was no angel....and had some use-of force issues, which could have been handled by staff, but instead they dropped him like a bad habit. By the way, those two slime ball sgts went on to have a nice career at LPD.....continuing to stab others in the back on their way up the ladder. :twisted: How can you two live with yourselves knowing that you partially destroyed another officer's life????

His termination may not have been the direct result of his injury, but it goes to show you the "brotherhood" (or lack thereof) that exists within LPD.

Now, before you holier-than-thou staffers decide to reply, look in the mirror and remember how you treated him, and how it would feel if it were done to you. The place was almost fun to work for back then, and look what it has become now!!! :devil:

Steve Stanton said it best about the LPD...."You guys cannabalize your own." :evil:

To answer your question, its no suprise they are trying to railroad you.....there is no loyalty in law enforcement anymore.....anywhere.......at least not within our happy fortress known as LPD......

08-21-2006, 10:07 PM
Obviously you weren't around then. You also didn't work with him, so your opinion is worthless, Junior.

08-22-2006, 12:39 PM
Well, since I have been here, I have seen a few people develop injuries or illnesses from which they couldn't recover. Some of those people chose to leave under the 60% right away and others have waited it out until they had to retire. I have seen LPD bend over backward for some (a few who didn't deserve the kindness) and not for others (some who did deserve it), so in reality, I guess it would depend on the officer, the command staff and the injury/illness. Are they negative and write posts like the guy above? Or do they do their job and not ***** about every little thing that doesn't go their way??? Are they a major problem to the agency? There doesn't seem to be any set rules to the issue.

Either way, good luck to you. I hope it turns out for the best.

08-29-2006, 05:09 AM
To answer your question:

Every person injured on or off the job since I have been here has been offered either an opportunity to work in another department, or disability (if appropriate). I've never seen anyone ushered towards the exit for an injury. ESPECIALLY one received on duty.

In a recent example, an officer was injured off-duty and the pd did everything they could to find that person a job elsewhere in the agency/city.

Good luck and I hope you prevail. I also hope you're a member of PBA/FOP, and that you are using their services in your fight.