PDA

View Full Version : Hardly any communication with dispatch???

missthang757
08-20-2006, 05:48 AM
I don't know how true this is but today I heard that FHP hardly ever keeps in contact with dispatch when out on calls. Someone please tell me my leg was being pulled.

08-20-2006, 06:16 PM
Define "hardly ever keeps in contact". When dispatched to a call we tell them we are on scene. If it is something like a crash usually we clear the scene and then drive elsewhere to finish the paperwork.

08-20-2006, 09:46 PM
alot of trooper on days don't even bother to call out there traffic stops. Which to me is unreal.

08-20-2006, 09:54 PM
alot of trooper on days don't even bother to call out there traffic stops. Which to me is unreal.

There is sooo much radio traffic already without calling in traffic stops. If everyone tried to call in their stops we would be waiting in line for the radio to clear up.

missthang757
08-20-2006, 10:04 PM

There is sooo much radio traffic already without calling in traffic stops. If everyone tried to call in their stops we would be waiting in line for the radio to clear up.

I say a sign that read, "You may know where you are. God may know where you are. If your dispatch doesnt know where you are, you and God better be on good terms." If I was a trooper I would be bit@hing about the radio traffic. At SRCSO we live and breathe officer safety.

08-20-2006, 11:27 PM
Just keep not calling your stop's out you idiots and soon their may be a Bridge named after you as well!!!!

08-21-2006, 01:27 AM
Just keep not calling your stops out you idiots and soon there may be a Bridge named after you as well!!!!

Well and correctly said!

08-21-2006, 02:48 AM
Just keep not calling your stop's out you idiots and soon their may be a Bridge named after you as well!!!!

If you had to work with FHP dispatch, you would understand. You can take a multi-million dollar dispatch center and put a bunch of idiots in charge of it and it is totally worthless. Just today, I worked a day shift, advised dispath I was 10-42 (home), and 7 1/2 hours later they call me at the house because they still show me 10-8 (on-duty). I could have been laying in the ditch dead for all they know. They are too busy giving out sig-12 BOLO's that nobody bothers to listen too so they can cover their own ass. Your lucky if they get your ID number right half the time you call them. It looks good on paper but its not worth a crap in real life. Thank God for MDT's, at least you can pull up stuff on the person your stopping. My rule is dont rely on other LEO's to back you up, you are on your own. Whatever you get into, you get yourself out of. Be glad your dispatchers are local, wish ours was.

08-21-2006, 01:32 PM
Honestly, do you guys have anything better to do, than ***** about FHP not calling they're stops in. I dont and was not trained to do it, unless its midnights shift. This is the only time we are required to by policy. And even then there's guys that dont. WHO CARES!!!! Ad other post said, we are on our own, and we will take care of it. By the end of Aug, we will catch up with the rest of the world, and will not even have to key up the radio, unless we have a warrant, need wreckers, or need the radio room to make a phone call for us. Everything! will be on computer, which is awesome, radio traffic now sucks. And its so bad at times we cant get on it to talk. At times we are patched with three other countys, and trying to share the radio with them, DOT officers, State Fire, DEP, and FWC. So don't complain unless you actually know what you are talking about and a former Trooper. Lord knows there is a bunch out there!!!
Come on guys we know you are looking out for us, at least the ones that actually have friends that work for this agency. But all your doing is beating a dead horse.!! Take care guys , be safe

08-21-2006, 02:14 PM

They are too busy giving out sig-12 BOLO's that nobody bothers to listen too so they can cover their own arse.

I love when they give out sig 12 BOLOs 10-15 minutes after the call came in. The driver could be in another county by then.

08-22-2006, 05:19 PM
Be nice and try not to generalize. Just like out in the field, in the comm center's there are dispatcher's that don't do the job to the best of thier capability. There are also dispatcher's that simply are not capable of doing the job well.
Try to appreciate the job dispatcher's do, when the S*** hits the fan, they are your life line.

08-23-2006, 01:51 AM
Be nice and try not to generalize. Just like out in the field, in the comm center's there are dispatcher's that don't do the job to the best of thier capability. There are also dispatcher's that simply are not capable of doing the job well.
Try to appreciate the job dispatcher's do, when the S*** hits the fan, they are your life line.

Only if I can get out on that worthless Macom radio. Im just glad I have a cell phone on my belt. Like I said what I get into, I must get myself out of.

Marie25
08-23-2006, 03:14 AM
Please don't put all dispatchers in the same grouping. Some of us really do care and really do the best we can with what the state gives us. I know I get just as annoyed with other dispatchers that do screw up on a constant baisis. As for calling out traffic stops yes it is probably the best thing to do for officer saftey and that plays on just an instinct of the trooper to know when they should probably do so. Problem is that if they do call out every traffic stop they make then when someone does have an emergency they wont be able to get through on the radio. It all comes down to using common sense, please if everyone used it we would all be in a better place. That goes for dispatch and troopers alike. Thanks to all of ya'll for what you do.

08-23-2006, 06:16 PM
I appreciate the dispatchers that do a good job, there are several. However, there are a few that really do ruin it for the rest! Anyway my question is...disptach gets on the radio and asks me to x21 the radio room...so I say x4 and call right away. The phone rings for 6 minutes (no lie) before anybody picks it up. What's up with that...with as many times as our radios go into scan, what if we really did need something quick? And it's not like it happens once in a while, it happens all the time. I've even heard guys get on the radio and have to say that they're calling in.

Marie25
08-24-2006, 01:13 AM
Yes, I agree there are the few that ruin it for everyone in dispatch. That also goes for the ones on the road though b/c those few do ruin it also. If we could all just learn to get over it and work together everything would be better. As for dispatch not answering the phone either they had to answer the other line that was ringing in. They might have even thought it was you calling in answered it and it was some idiot calling in about running out of gas or whatever. But there is the one that just don't answer the phone its annoying as heck thats for sure. But some of us do try and feel sometimes we are having to pick up the slack for them but sadly enough it will never go anywhere to be fixed unless the ones on the road start to speak up more about it.

08-27-2006, 12:21 AM

Man, if I ever get arrested I want you to arrest me. Your probable cause would probably make a nice civil court paycheck. Real Cop huh....more like a Real Stupid Cop!!! It's true what you said but if you were a real cop, you'd show much more restraint in your response on officer safety issues due to the fact that it should be more of a constructive criticism posting to your fellow LEO and not a bashing with sarcasm.
PS- For the Real Cop with A-D-D Syndrome (A DUMB DEFICIENCY)
There= normally used as a prepositional phrase
They're= contraction for "They Are"
Their= normally used to show ownership

Correct Answer***THERE*** :oops: :oops:
We understand, all that responsibilty in being a REAL COP has really deprived you of being a Real Person with Real Common Sense, you RAT *******!!!! :twisted: :twisted: :shock: :shock:

08-31-2006, 02:16 PM
GIVE IT A REST! MOST OF YOU SO CALLED REAL COPS COVER A SINGLE CITY OR COUNTY. FHP DISPATCH CENTERS TAKE CALLS FROM AND DISPATCH 7 -10 COUNTIES. NOT TO MENTION THE WONDERFUL *FHP HOTLINE THAT EVERY CRY BABY THAT GETS CUT OFF IN TRAFFIC WITH A CELL PHONE WANTS YOU TO DO A S12 BOLO OR ASSIST GROWN MEN AND WOMEN WITH CHANGING A FLAT TIRE. LETS GROW UP AND BE FOR REAL. HAPPY MOTORING!

08-31-2006, 10:08 PM
GIVE IT A REST! MOST OF YOU SO CALLED REAL COPS COVER A SINGLE CITY OR COUNTY. FHP DISPATCH CENTERS TAKE CALLS FROM AND DISPATCH 7 -10 COUNTIES. NOT TO MENTION THE WONDERFUL *FHP HOTLINE THAT EVERY CRY BABY THAT GETS CUT OFF IN TRAFFIC WITH A CELL PHONE WANTS YOU TO DO A S12 BOLO OR ASSIST GROWN MEN AND WOMEN WITH CHANGING A FLAT TIRE. LETS GROW UP AND BE FOR REAL. HAPPY MOTORING!

I don't think anyone is disputing the fact that FHP dispatchers are doing their job, it's those certain troopers who are doing their job to the extreme that I have a problem with. Writing a cop....ok, write him/her if they're being an idiot (to include 15+ miles over the speed limit and acting stupid when stopped). Now if I'm doing 7 miles over the limit,...COME ON DUDE!!! Ok, even if you stop me for 7 miles over and I'm apologetic about the measly 7 miles-DON'T GIVE ME A LONG LECTURE ON TRAFFIC AND THEN STILL WRITE ME!!!!! I could deal with the citation but dude... I don't want to hear your slick sarcastic remarks as if you are HOLIER THAN THOU!!! We're all supposed to be brothers and sisters in the LE family. Now with that said, I'm going to make it plain and simple. This posting is for Trooper PUTZ (tall bald trooper Ports with an extended Adolph Hitler mustache of Palm Beach County). I don't like talking about people but you are a prime example of what not to do to your fellow law enforcement comrades. I hope the next time you stop another officer (whatever the reason), your vehicle runs hot while on the traffic stop, two of your tires go flat (right front & left rear), your radio doesn't work because you're in a dead spot with a 50 mile radius, your cellular phone's battery is dead with your car-charger still at your house, the officer you pulled over is highly livid and has already left the traffic stop, your laptop doesn't work because just before the traffic stop you wasted your tobacco spit-cup juice all over the keyboard area and no one drives by you for at least another 7 hours-2 minutes & 9 seconds...And when they do drive by as you try to flag them down, I hope it's me that's passing by just so I could stop, give you the finger and peel out screeching my tires as I'm driving off laughing at you!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

08-31-2006, 10:23 PM

PS- Don't forget, no matter how much you want to down play SO CALLED REAL COPS.....IT'S PROBABLY A SAFE BET TO SAY THAT YOUR HOME ADDRESS IS NOT THE SAME AS MAJORITY OF THE HIGHWAYS YOU PATROL. In other words...the jurisdiction of your home and family is probably located in some single city or county and if 911 is dialed they would need the assistance of a county deputy or a city cop while you're out writing one of the two!!! Now I really hope your significant other doesn't have a flat tire out on the highway and runs into a trooper with the same stupid mentality as you..Oooops :oops: :oops: :oops: , did I say that out loud. I know, I know, you taught your spouse how to change a tire on the side of the road in the scorching heat. :wink: :wink: Well I guess you've got all your bases covered being that even if something did happened at your residence, you'd be able to get there pretty fast because I know another trooper wouldn't stop you......OR WOULD THEY???!!! :? :? :? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

09-06-2006, 10:43 AM
If you don't want a ticket, don't excede the limit. Seems obvious to me. Just think of all the excuses you have recieved over the years from "non law enforcement" civilians. You got caught, not going to a call, not going to the hospital, just going faster than you should and thinking your star/shield and ID card were a "get out of ticket free pass". Sometimes it works, sometimes it does'nt. So called "REAL COPS" are appreciated and most troopers don't want to go to domestics, robberies or dog bark calls. Their job is different just like most masons don't want to be roofers or tile setters in the construction trades. Same field different jobs but non the less important. Happy Motoring!

09-06-2006, 06:53 PM
If you don't want a ticket, don't excede the limit. Seems obvious to me. Just think of all the excuses you have recieved over the years from "non law enforcement" civilians. You got caught, not going to a call, not going to the hospital, just going faster than you should and thinking your star/shield and ID card were a "get out of ticket free pass". Sometimes it works, sometimes it does'nt. So called "REAL COPS" are appreciated and most troopers don't want to go to domestics, robberies or dog bark calls. Their job is different just like most masons don't want to be roofers or tile setters in the construction trades. Same field different jobs but non the less important. Happy Motoring!

Good advice but now I remember the Happy Motoring phrase. It's from Judge Dredd, I like that play on words. The law is the law. :) :) :)

09-13-2006, 04:34 AM
If you dont give out your location , how are the "Idiots" going to know where you are? Specially out in the boonies,? Here in Miami i dare say that we have 10 times the amount of radio traffic that you guys might but still we require our units to give a location(QTH). That is for your own protection, and the protection of your fellow officers that will have to drive like hell to try to find you when you do not answer your radio or you are hurt. Commomn sense apparently is not too common.

01-05-2008, 05:54 PM
I don't know how true this is but today I heard that FHP hardly ever keeps in contact with dispatch when out on calls. Someone please tell me my leg was being pulled.

01-22-2008, 03:53 PM
The problem with FHP dispatch is the following.
1. Since they consolidated dispatch you have to dispatch troopers
in 5 or 6 counties. I grew up in Palm Beach County and I know Broward and Miami very well. But Port St. Lucie, Martin or Okeechobee Counties I hardly go there. And Orlando I only know how to get to Disney World on the turnpike. So if you tell me you are on some dirt road west of Ms Daisy's Diner on Old Hwy 1, you best bet is to call 9-1-1 from your cell phone and get the local sheriff or police dispatchers to help you.

2. You say the pay for troopers suck think about the pay for dispatchers. Who in the hell would want to work in a place where the stress level is so high with the money they pay? I rather work as a door greater at Wal-Mart than to be a dispatcher.

3. The people that they are hiring these days where not in line when God was handing out brains. They are clueless.

4. Training. you can't complain about dispatcher training because there isn't any.

5. All police and sheriff's agency dispatchers only work the radio. They have call takers and dispatchers. So when you are raising dispatch saying you have a felony stop and pointing a gun at someone, the dispatcher has a little old lady who had an accident 6 months ago and wants to get directions to the station to get a copy of a report.

FHP should review their communications centers and bring them up to date with training, call takers, dispatchers and among other things PAY BETTER so you can hire better qualified individuals who are worth the monty you pay.

YOU KNOW THE OLD SAYING YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR.

01-22-2008, 04:03 PM
I appreciate the dispatchers that do a good job, there are several. However, there are a few that really do ruin it for the rest! Anyway my question is...disptach gets on the radio and asks me to x21 the radio room...so I say x4 and call right away. The phone rings for 6 minutes (no lie) before anybody picks it up. What's up with that...with as many times as our radios go into scan, what if we really did need something quick? And it's not like it happens once in a while, it happens all the time. I've even heard guys get on the radio and have to say that they're calling in.

FHP has changed the phone system to a rotation system. When you call into the radio room, your call does not ring to that specific dispatcher who asked you to x21. You might go to one who is busy with radio traffic and does not pickup. Then your call rotates after the 3rd ring to another dispatcher. If that dispatcher does not pick up then it rotates again until someone picks up the phone.

They did place private phone numbers for each console but took it away one month later because FHP did not want to flip the bill. Bell South charged the state too much money for that system so they pulled it.

Remember any good idea cost money and the state does not want to spend money.

01-24-2008, 06:43 AM
Why bother dispatch, they are busy playing cards while you work. As far as no pay for dispatch get real........they make like $100 a month less than troopers. The D.O.S. in the com center makes more than troopers, maybe more than sgts.

Calling in traffic stops only works if the dispatcher is working. I have heard a Trooper call in a traffic stop, and the first 10-13 check from dispatch came 29 minutes and 53 seconds into the stop. So calling in a stop does not always make me feel safe.

The dispatchers are the most protected people in F.H.P. They get an smart with a trooper and it is ok. However, if a trooper gets smart with them...watch out trooper.

Oh and there are a couple who think they are your sgt. In Hillsborough Coutny F.H.P. works interstates and state roads. Just not enough people to cover everything like we do in some counties. Well if a dispatcher wants you to go to a call, she will tell you that x49 has no one available. So you go across county to the call, only to meet a deputy you know, who says " I told them to cancel you like 25 minutes ago. I am speaking the truth am I not (to a dispatcher who needs not be named.)

01-24-2008, 01:28 PM
Why bother dispatch, they are busy playing cards while you work. As far as no pay for dispatch get real........they make like $100 a month less than troopers. The D.O.S. in the com center makes more than troopers, maybe more than sgts.

Calling in traffic stops only works if the dispatcher is working. I have heard a Trooper call in a traffic stop, and the first 10-13 check from dispatch came 29 minutes and 53 seconds into the stop. So calling in a stop does not always make me feel safe.

The dispatchers are the most protected people in F.H.P. They get an smart with a trooper and it is ok. However, if a trooper gets smart with them...watch out trooper.

Oh and there are a couple who think they are your sgt. In Hillsborough Coutny F.H.P. works interstates and state roads. Just not enough people to cover everything like we do in some counties. Well if a dispatcher wants you to go to a call, she will tell you that x49 has no one available. So you go across county to the call, only to meet a deputy you know, who says " I told them to cancel you like 25 minutes ago. I am speaking the truth am I not (to a dispatcher who needs not be named.)

And just keep in mind that not ALL of your dispatchers are like that. The ones that aren't get just as pissed off at the lazy ones who don't know their job.

01-25-2008, 10:01 PM
I am not perfect but officer safety is my #1 priority. I do make mistakes. I wish Troopers would have to spend time in the radio room, more than the 1 or 2 days when hired on. Just like everywhere, there is good and bad. I like most of the troopers on the road, some more than others, like everthing. They have a lot of responsibility and things to remember as well. They also need to remember, they really only have to worry about themselves and maybe an emergency situation once in a while. We have a whole county or counties, sometimes by ourselves. We both need to respect each others jobs and work together. Troop C has many issues but we are on the same team, believe it or not. At least thats how I feel.

01-26-2008, 12:03 PM

They are too busy giving out sig-12 BOLO's that nobody bothers to listen too so they can cover their own arse.

I love when they give out sig 12 BOLOs 10-15 minutes after the call came in. The driver could be in another county by then.

Would'nt matter if they gave it out while caller was on the line, unless the S12 is driving through the Sonny's parking lot after you are done eating, you'd never catch him!

01-26-2008, 07:40 PM

If it is in this forum, it must be true :roll: