PDA

View Full Version : Investigator Openings in Tampa and Orlando

08-18-2006, 02:48 AM
I just recently applied to the investigator II openings in Orlando and Tampa. As my username implies, I am a Federal Officer with 13 years experience. I was previously a Police Officer in central Florida. I have been able to keep my certification active (don't ask me how I got around the dual-office-holder thing). I have always wanted to work for DEP, ever since I saw the Florida Park Police when I was a kid in the Wekiva Springs State Park (cool green uniform then). I know about the crappy pay and don't care. I make great money where I am and I am miserable. I just want to know what types of crimes the investigators investigate, how long is the training for already certified new employees, and what type of shifts do you have (ie, normal 9 to 5 or weird hours)? Additionally, should I start getting in shape for a PT test or can I slide by on doughnuts (Krispy Kreme to be exact, I love em). No, I am not crazy. I am tired of having my hands tied when I see violators of the law. I miss making PC arrests and my passion is natural resource law enforcement. I carry a Glock 22 now (.40 cal.) so transitioning to another Glock is cool. Thanks for any info.

08-18-2006, 12:20 PM
You may be jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire. I encourage you to think twice and do more research before leaving where you’re at. A good start would be to read all of the posts on all of the other threads on the DEP section of this website. We’ve got our own problems. At least you know what you’ve already got where you’re at. If you come here and discover you don’t like it, you’ll be kicking yourself in the ass for leaving where you are.

08-19-2006, 03:33 AM
Are there any other message boards with DEP info on it?

08-19-2006, 11:42 PM
Look, the fact is I am not a player to this administration, however, I have been in law enforcement for a long time. THis is a great (JOB) and it is what you make of it. You should know that by now if you have been in law enforcement that long. Yes, we have our problems, but so does everyone else. Do what the smart ones of this agency do, make it work for YOU! The hours are great, pay (well I don't know of any real good paying cop job), and what a variety of crimes. You make it what you want. Good luck to your endeavors!

08-22-2006, 02:08 PM
Greetings fedcop. Since part of the previous post was a little cryptic, I've posted those parts again below for you with the translation in parentheses. Think twice.

I am not a player to this administration (I'm in tight with the boss). I have been in law enforcement for a long time (I made it past probation). This is a great job (This job sucks) and it is what you make of it (but it's working out for me). Yes, we have our problems, but so does everyone else (if I can distract you by pointing out other agency's problems, maybe you won't notice how screwed up this place is). Do what the smart ones (butt kissers) of this agency do, make it work for YOU! (shut up and kiss butt) The hours are great (I know the best hiding places), I don't know of any real good paying cop job (I've never worked anywhere else), and what a variety of crimes (I don't know what a crime is) You make it what you want. Good luck to your endeavors! (slurp slurp)

08-23-2006, 11:45 AM
You need a doctor!

08-23-2006, 08:57 PM
And you need some guts!

08-24-2006, 08:22 AM
OK Big boy! We see you standing up beating the drum leading the way. Oh, does that hurt? It seems to me people like you are all talk and no play! As far as you know, I am your working partner, supervisor, or just someone off the street. What I do know is that I am comfortable with what I do. I will live after retirement. People like you, well, you do the math. Stressed out, complainer! Shut up or put up!

08-25-2006, 12:00 AM
Sorry, meant to say I will live a life after Law Enforcement in retirement. I just mean that if you are so disgruntle, you know nothing is going to change in the near future, find a different line of work. Save yourself, your future, because this is not worth a short retirement. Sorry.

08-25-2006, 04:45 AM
Who’s stressed? You’re the one ranting and raving. I know you’re not one of my working partners or my supervisor because they all laughed hysterically when they read your postings. I’m not disgruntled, so why should I find a different line of work? Besides, the characters like yourself around here provide the rest of us with more amusement and entertainment than we could ever hope to find anywhere else.

08-25-2006, 11:54 AM
Yes, but the best part is you continue to reply. Hmmmm, wonder what they think about you?

08-25-2006, 05:07 PM
Somebody needs to reply to nonsensical party-line propaganda, so it might as well be me. As for what my partners and supervisor think about me, you'll never know. But, nice try.

08-25-2006, 08:50 PM
Your're my hero!

08-26-2006, 04:07 PM
I am extremely disappointed in all of the negative comments. We are, I assume, all LEO's and civility should be our middle names. Just so you know, I don't care about the money, only the job. I make more than twice what a Trooper makes and yet I am still looking at a state agency.

Can anyone tell me how long the training is for already certified individuals? Is it held in Tallahassee? What type of vehicles are they issuing investigators? How long is the hiring process? What are the requirements for the PT test? These are the things I need answered.

08-28-2006, 01:14 AM
I'm disappointed that you're disappointed. What you see as negative comments are just a reflection of the lack of unity within the ranks here. That lack of unity is a result of bad management. You said you've been a federal officer for thirteen years, that you make great money, but you're miserable. Didn't you know the agency you presently work for had problems before you took that job? Don't you wish someone had told you about those problems before you did? "Cool uniforms" are a poor reason to go to any agency, and "crappy pay" is not our biggest problem. If you miss making pc arrests, you'll have more opportunities with a municipal or county law enforcement agency. At this point it's unlikely that you'll be hired here now, regardless of your experience or talent. You see, our managment reads the postings on this website. Identifying yourself as a federal cop and identifying the position you applied for makes it easy to figure out who you are. Since you made it clear that you're not happy where you are, you'll probably be passed over as a potential problem child or trouble maker. If they do take a chance and hire you, you'll be under a microscope for your entire probationary period. One little criticism of the agency or management by you, and management's parnoia will kick in. The hammer will fall and you'll be out of a job. Sorry to burst your bubble.

08-28-2006, 08:43 PM
I think the last poster's logic is flawed, here's why:

1. The fact that I want to work for the state even though I am a Fed in good standing means that I see something in the agency I am willing to give up a lot for.

2. My past employment and training will speak for itself.

3. Although I am not happy with my job, that does not mean that it is not a great place to work. It just means that the type of investigations I want to conduct, I can't with my current agency.

4. I know the grass is not always greener on the other side, but there is nothing wrong with checking it out for yourself, rather than having someone telling you how they think it is.

5. Because you don't know me or my reasons for wanting to work for DEP. I happen to think that the state has a great reputation with the Federal community.

I don't want to turn this into a mudfest. I just needed info on the training, equipment, etc.

08-29-2006, 12:04 AM
Suit yourself bud. Hope you get your wish. If you do, just don't whine about it when you discover that I told you the truth.

08-29-2006, 08:42 PM
You know, bigmouths like you get no respect because that is all you are, A BIGMOUTH! Why don't you show us the man you supposeably are and stand-up for the rest of us. Oh, are you afraid you'll have to go to work somewhere else when you can't? You see the pattern, you are all talk and no WALK!

08-30-2006, 01:25 AM
I'd gladly reply if I could figure out the meaning of your bizarre rant. Try it again in a framework more in keeping with your limitations.

08-31-2006, 11:50 PM
My dear brothers and sisters in arms.
Whereby I will agree that there is room for some improvement in this agency, this is not the proper forum to engage in these petty tirades.
Some of you are bitter and disappointed because you allowed yourselves to hold expectations that have not come to fruition.
Concentrate on the positives and work towards improving the agency within the framework that exists. Being that through the union, grievances, or simply constructive NON-PERSONAL discussions, realizing that there are those that will never be happy unless they are *****ing about something.
Anyone that unhappy and paranoid really owns it him/herself to get another job and find happiness and peace of mind.

09-01-2006, 01:10 AM
While this may not be the best forum to express our grievances, it is the only one where we can with safety from retaliation. And don't tell me that doesn't happen. Some of us have been here too long and have witnessed it happen too many times. There's a difference between paranoia and reasonable caution. That's why I and a few others I know use alternate computer locations instead of our own computers to post to this site. Union's in Florida don't have enough clout to make a serious difference. Why souldn't we be bitter and disappointed when our so called leaders refuse to live by the same personal and professional standards of behavior that they demand from us. I give an honest day's work for an honest day's wage. But that doesn't mean I have to like or respect the hypocrites in charge of this place. And the fact that I don't like or respect them doesn't mean I have to go out and get another job.

09-01-2006, 03:29 AM
I hear what you are saying and I respect your opinion.
We now have a new bargaining unit (PBA) and perhaps this is the time to put their skill and abilities to a test.
We need desperately to get rid of the 160 hour pay cycle and get on a 40 hour cycle, agreed?
We also need to increase our wages so that we are competitive with other LE agencies, agreed?
We need to reinstate the step raises so that an officer that just got hired does not make the same as a 5 year veteran, agreed?
Let’s try to address these issues first and perhaps the other inequities of the job may be easier to live with; after all, the political cycles will keep changing those at the helm for better or for worse.
Remember that you are engaged in a most honorable of professions, don’t get personal and maintain your prospective.

09-01-2006, 11:33 PM
Some of your points are valid and I can't disagree with them. If past performance is an indicator, I don't think we can expect much from PBA. I think most of us are professionals and would like to keep a professional perspective and avoid getting personal. But that's nearly impossible to do when our leadership has repeatedly shown that they're guided by the same moral compass as most of the people we arrest.

09-02-2006, 06:28 PM
Training for Investigator IIs is mostly in the field in a Field Training Officer program. You will work with two or three agents until you are good to go on your own. There is usually a week or two of in-service training in Tallahassee when you first get hired, and they will also familiarize you with the administrative paperwork. You will be assigned a truck or sedan depending upon availability, and a trunk full of gear. The equipment provided is some of the best I have seen in my LE career; they really give you the tools to do the job. I agree that this job is what you make of it - there is much freedom to good investigations, if that is what your after. It sound like you have a lot of questions and should ask someone who has first hand knowledge, such as a current investigator or lieutenant, and not listen to the unfortunate sole who has little better to do with his time than whine and be a pitiful closet propagandist. He is the minority at DEP and doesn't have a clue. Good luck at your interview!!!

09-03-2006, 10:47 AM
Hey smart guy. I’ve probably been here as long as you and know at least as much about this agency as you do. Sure, we’ve got our good points and some good people like every other agency does. But, talk about propaganda! You obviously wrote the book on the subject. We’re no better trained or equipped than most other law enforcement agencies. And just because the person you call a “closet propagandist” isn’t a cheerleader for your team, that doesn’t make him or her a minority. You may not like it, but a lot of the investigators out here agree with him or her. And what is a “pitiful sole”? Is it an undernourished flounder, a calloused foot, or the worn out bottom of a shoe? You’re amazing!

09-04-2006, 02:18 PM
Wow, what anger and rage.
This is what happens when a psychological exam is not part of the pre-employment background package. You end up with the intellectually challenged with a Napoleonic Complex.
For those that are reading for purely entertainment reason, this is what is commonly referred to as an “Organizational Terrorist”.
If you don’t agree with this guy, he wants to tear your guts out and feed them to you.
There are some overseas positions open that may be of interest.

09-04-2006, 07:07 PM
Anger? Rage? You’re actually a very funny person. Thanks for proving my points. Now do you see, ladies and gents? It doesn’t matter whether or not you do your job. If you don’t treat what comes from 3900 Commonwealth Boulevard as though it was on stone tablets from Mount Sinai, you’re an “Organizational Terrorist” and “Intellectually Challenged with a Napoleonic Complex.” This is a common tactic of managers who have no leadership ability and whose arguments are vacant of logic.

09-04-2006, 08:52 PM
Training for Investigator IIs is mostly in the field in a Field Training Officer program. You will work with two or three agents until you are good to go on your own. There is usually a week or two of in-service training in Tallahassee when you first get hired, and they will also familiarize you with the administrative paperwork. You will be assigned a truck or sedan depending upon availability, and a trunk full of gear. The equipment provided is some of the best I have seen in my LE career; they really give you the tools to do the job. I agree that this job is what you make of it - there is much freedom to good investigations, if that is what your after. It sound like you have a lot of questions and should ask someone who has first hand knowledge, such as a current investigator or lieutenant, and not listen to the unfortunate sole who has little better to do with his time than whine and be a pitiful closet propagandist. He is the minority at DEP and doesn't have a clue. Good luck at your interview!!!

Thanks Agent for the response. This is the type of information I was looking for. Not the negativism from others.

09-04-2006, 09:07 PM
The joke is on you buster.
I am not now, nor have I ever been, a member of management in DEP. The thought of having to supervise some of my peers is actually frighting.
I am, however, just another grunt who happens to disagree with your rhetoric and tactics.
May I encourage you to take some anger control therapy?

09-05-2006, 07:13 AM
Oh, you may not have the rank or authority, but you're a member (or should I say "lackey") of management alright. Believe me, the thought of you supervising your peers is much more frightening to them than it is to you. You're welcome to disagree with my "rhetoric and tactics" as you call them, and I’m glad that we both have this website to share alternative views. But you give yourself way too much credit. It would take someone with a lot more on the ball than you or your masters to make me angry. Have a nice day, and keep up the good work.

09-06-2006, 07:27 PM
Update***

I have decided not to apply further with this position. I was asked to complete the supplemental applications for this position and found that this agency wanted me to most of the leg work in my background investigation (i.e. driving history, certified copies of marriage licenses/divorces, financial information, etc.). I do background checks for a living and found that I did not have the time to do the background investigators job for him/her. Not for $38k. It's unfortunate, because I really like the job description. Too many hurdles to jump for a job that has no step increases. I also applied to FDLE. I DID COMPLETE their supplemental application and found it to be similiar to the Federal one I completed. That job is still a $30 pay cut, but at least they don't insult your intelligence and professionalism by asking you to do all the leg work. A good background investigation will almost always turn up any skeletons in a closet. Thanks for the assistance. :(

09-06-2006, 11:52 PM
The defense rests! And best of luck to you fedcop.

09-08-2006, 08:00 AM
What a prima donna. :roll:

09-09-2006, 07:54 PM
Maybe so. But he made some good points.