PDA

View Full Version : Upcoming contract negotiations

MOD 328
08-10-2006, 08:21 PM
We have contract negotiations coming up in the spring. Several issues are being considered to include: cameras in cars, the police department/city administering details, AVL monitoring. Does anyone have any of this in there department or have any comments/ suggestions about these issues?

10-13-2006, 09:36 PM
We have contract negotiations coming up in the spring. Several issues are being considered to include: cameras in cars, the police department/city administering details, AVL monitoring. Does anyone have any of this in there department or have any comments/ suggestions about these issues?

I really hope that the whole cameras in the cars don't happen.. I mean we already have AVL in the cars. I feel like if they put the cameras in the cars that means BIG BROTHER is in the car with me.. We should focus more on how to improve our fleet. For example laptops for everyone, and issue out tasers .

10-24-2006, 06:40 PM
What is AVL ? I heard that you guys got cameras in your cars. One facing the front of the car and the other directly at the officer driving. Any truth to this ?

10-25-2006, 10:16 PM
What is AVL ? I heard that you guys got cameras in your cars. One facing the front of the car and the other directly at the officer driving. Any truth to this ?

no we don't have cameras yet and I dont think the department is going to allow cameras facing the officers while on patrol ...

10-28-2006, 04:44 PM
Listen, you guys have to fight for everything. Tell your city that rather than waisting money on cameras to give you guys that money in raises. The officers will be happier and they will in turn do a better job on the streets. You don't need cameras in police cars, what you need is better benifits.

10-29-2006, 05:07 PM
Listen, you guys have to fight for everything. Tell your city that rather than waisting money on cameras to give you guys that money in raises. The officers will be happier and they will in turn do a better job on the streets. You don't need cameras in police cars, what you need is better benifits.

Amen Brother

10-30-2006, 09:16 PM
Davie is currently hiring, and looking for a few good Officers. Officers with little experience are being given an automatic pay step increase when hired which would start most in the upper $40s. Officers with sixty (60) college credits are also given an extra pay step increase which would already start an Officer out at pay step three (3). An Officer starting at pay step three (3) would top-out in five years. Officers completing seven (7) years receive longevity pay of $1500.00 dollars and $2000.00 dollars at twelve (12) years. Officers get a minimum four (4) hours of overtime for any court appearances or call-outs. Officers only contribute 7% to their pension, and receive 75% at twenty (20) years. Officers are able to Drop for five (5) years at their twenty (20) or remain in the pension for as long as they wish (85% at 25 years, and so on). Off-duty details are plentiful, and Officers can pretty much work as often as they like.

Officers are also basically given everything accept their ticket book. Uniforms, duty-belts, firearms, laptops, take-home vehicles, etc. are all given to new Officers. Officers recieve free dry cleaning, and free car washes at a professional car wash business. Take home vehicles are also provided throughout the tri-county area. Not a bad "Gig" in Davie.

10-30-2006, 10:48 PM
http://www.davie-fl.gov/Pages/DavieFL_H ... cebenefits (http://www.davie-fl.gov/Pages/DavieFL_HumanResrs/Benefits/policebenefits)

11-23-2006, 03:25 AM
Yea we now have a TRI county take-home car policy .. :D but one commissioner didnt not like it, and had try to stop the program. thank God no cares about what he thinks ..

01-06-2007, 02:43 AM
I once worked for FLPD and I can tell you that the least of the equipment they need is cameras. It takes 1 to 2 years for a new officer to get a computer hooked up in their cruiser. This is an essential tool to speed up progress yet somehow is overlooked. Also some of their vehicles are in really bad shape and in need of a major overhauled

01-08-2007, 02:46 AM
I once worked for FLPD and I can tell you that the least of the equipment they need is cameras. It takes 1 to 2 years for a new officer to get a computer hooked up in their cruiser. This is an essential tool to speed up progress yet somehow is overlooked. Also some of their vehicles are in really bad shape and in need of a major overhauled
What wrong with thier cars ??? did you have a laptop in your car ? what was the morle like at FLPD ? also how long do you have to while untill you get a new car

REX99
01-08-2007, 04:42 AM
What wrong with thier cars ??? did you have a laptop in your car ? what was the morle like at FLPD ? also how long do you have to while untill you get a new car

Well, there was several times during my fto period that the car we were riding on gave us the ghost. You could hear the brakes squealing from miles away, which is not tactical if the bad guys can hear you coming. The engines sound like they’re running on diesel. Don’t try lowering the windows cause it will take you 5 minutes plus pushing with your hands to get them up. As far as the computers; not happening till probably 1 year after your probationary period is over. So you are looking at 2 years ez before you see anything that resembles a laptop. I guess compared to other cities that will never get computers, the officers at FLPD aren’t doing soo badly. But with the amount of revenue that the city makes, I just don’t see how an essential piece of equipment like a computer takes soo long. You will probably get one of the clunkers for sure if you’re coming in as a rookie. More than likely those senior officers that complaint enough will get the 9400 series vehicles and you will end up with their 9100 pos clunker.

The morale varies depending on who you ask. There are definitely a lot of rumors about a massive exodus. There were several people jumping ship to PBSO and some of the better patrol officers left to the bureau. I think they got the fto shortage problem taken care as far as I know, so they should be enough to go around now.

01-09-2007, 12:22 AM
Well, there was several times during my fto period that the car we were riding on gave us the ghost. You could hear the brakes squealing from miles away, which is not tactical if the bad guys can hear you coming. The engines sound like they’re running on diesel. Don’t try lowering the windows cause it will take you 5 minutes plus pushing with your hands to get them up. As far as the computers; not happening till probably 1 year after your probationary period is over. So you are looking at 2 years ez before you see anything that resembles a laptop. I guess compared to other cities that will never get computers, the officers at FLPD aren’t doing soo badly. But with the amount of revenue that the city makes, I just don’t see how an essential piece of equipment like a computer takes soo long. You will probably get one of the clunkers for sure if you’re coming in as a rookie. More than likely those senior officers that complaint enough will get the 9400 series vehicles and you will end up with their 9100 pos clunker.

The morale varies depending on who you ask. There are definitely a lot of rumors about a massive exodus. There were several people jumping ship to PBSO and some of the better patrol officers left to the bureau. I think they got the fto shortage problem taken care as far as I know, so they should be enough to go around now.[/quote]

Thanks Rex99

For the Info, the whole no laptop thing for a year is kinda crazy. You would think a city that big would have top of the line gear set aside for there officers. Ohh and i readed you comment on the last thread, pretty funny comments about the whole squad car thing. I really hope the city revamp the departments fleet and update their police vehicles.

But I still kinda want to become a police officer with FLPD. I did a ride-a-long and I kinda like what I saw. Any advice on what kind of things to expect if I work there ???

REX99
01-09-2007, 06:09 PM
My advice to you would be to go for it. You will definitely find the most flpd officers are very helpful and will stop whatever they’re doing to give you a hand. Also the brass there is very informal. Majors down to the sergeants will answer your questions and take the time to check on your welfare; especially if you’re new. I left the agency b/c of upper management problems and for some uncertainties with the city’s budgeting.

As far as everyday affairs and workload; you will definitely have a lot to do. The city is very busy place with plenty of OT and details. You have 3 districts to work in and I did them all. If you want action, district 2 is the place to be. You will do a lot of drug arrest and domestics there. District 1 is the place for the senior officers that are soon to retired as there’s not much happening there. Finally district 3, which has a little bid of everything but it is not as bad as district 2. There are some that are speculating that in a couple of years district 3 will become just like district 2. Of course there’s the beach which covers the East Coast of district 1 and 3. There’s always something happening in Fort Lauderdale that requires police presence, whether the Air & Sea Show or the Boat Show. If you’re quick learner; you’ll have no problems.

I sort of regret the decision of leaving in retrospect but things happen for a reason. I left in good terms and I can always come back at anytime.

01-10-2007, 06:38 AM
Hey Rex. You are the biggest cop geek of all time. Get a life. You left for whatever reason but are welcome back anytime. Eat a D**k.[/b]

REX99
01-11-2007, 07:38 AM
Hey Rex. You are the biggest cop geek of all time. Get a life. You left for whatever reason but are welcome back anytime. Eat a D**k.[/b]

Thanks for the invitation ASSWIPE but I already had a life before I joined FLPD and after I left. You sure have a big mouth; I’m sure that face to face you would turn into a little *****. Don’t worry when BSO takes over they’ll make you their carwasher queen.

01-11-2007, 11:51 PM
Didn’t they go bankrupt already once??? I’m sure that history will repeat itself. I had a ride-along a while back with them and their cars smelled like crap. They also have some of the fattest people I’m seen. I didn’t think that they made spandex uniforms.

01-14-2007, 12:41 AM
Well sooner or later it was bound to happen again. I also once work for this city and I left in the mist of the layoff even though they didn’t cut any leos. They city has its problems and is a shame since revenue is there. I will hate to see BSO take over since some officers in flpd work hard for their pay. But they do have a lot of lugs in that department. I saw their promotion list for sergeants and captains. Holly-batman I was surprise to see who they promoted. Oh well sure glad that I left, I’m much better where I am today.

REX99 don’t worry about it you did the right thing. I worked for them for almost 11 years and way back then I saw the crisis unfolding before it happened. The leadership for this city will run the joint to the ground. It will soon be over for the guys that once used to kick @ss.

02-05-2007, 03:54 AM
Cameras sure would of helped the two guys in the last shooting. Moore would have had nothing to say and would have kept his pie-hole shut.

03-14-2012, 02:41 AM
Cameras sure would of helped the two guys in the last shooting. Moore would have had nothing to say and would have kept his pie-hole shut.

is there anything new here?

03-14-2012, 01:56 PM
Yea go to the meetings or ask one of your shift reps. This is not the place

is there anything new here?