PDA

View Full Version : Low Morale

08-10-2006, 03:53 AM
Is it just me, or is morale at an all time low??

The Sheriff seems more worried about his image than he does about his people. For all the lip service we get from a Staff member during briefing every few months, when was the last time you feel they were honest and sincere in what they said??

Everytime we get a COLA raise, someone from Staff comes and and basically tells us how great the Sheriff is and how much we should appreciate him. I don't know about you, but I feel like we have earned at least a COLA raise, not that we were jsut given it. When are they going to realize that a llttle more recognition would go as far or further than "GIVING" us a COLA raise and expecting us to kiss their ass in apreciation.

Don't get me wrong, this is a good agency and we have some great people. But, it is quite demoralizing to see people getting promoted because they are someone's relative or held a campaign sign. There was a time when people were promoted for their accomplishments, not for making appointments with every Major and Chief, stroking their ego's.

07-05-2007, 08:47 PM
There was also a time when such things as being proficient with your weapon and basic survival tactics mattered. Doesn't it seem reasonable that a "Master Deputy" should have to meet some standards in regard to firearms proficiency and/or physical fitness? I don't see where a power-point presentation and several butt kiss meetings have anything to do with the job of a Deputy Sheriff. Heck, it's easier to make Sergeant... but as you indicated, all you need is friends in high places I suppose. It seems beyond comprehension that the PCSO has MANDATED "customer service" classes. However, if you wish to take a tactical/survival class you are told to take vacation or forget about it. Hopefully these tid-bits of daily BS will shed some light on the morale issue.

07-05-2007, 10:01 PM
You think that a "master deputy" should have to shoot above the minimum standard and meet basic physical fitness requirements? What are you crazy? We have no time for that kind of thinking, bud. What’s next with your line of thinking? I suppose you think that if you don’t qualify the first time with your weapon, then you should lose your master deputy status too. What a bunch of hogwash. I can be a master deputy without ever being survival sufficient and I like it that way. Odds are is no one will ever shoot at me or that ill have to fight for my life. If I do get placed in that kind of situation then I will fall back on my extensive training (after all I would be a "master" deputy). I will calmly talk to the individual and try to reason with them until they can express their true feelings about why they want to kill me. I will diagnose the psychiatric problems that the individual is displaying and offer treatment programs. I will give the individual a quick lesson in traffic crash reconstruction. I will continue to talk politely and positively until im unconscious from loss of blood. I will pass in peace because I’m sure my children will be grateful and appreciate the folded flag that they receive.

07-06-2007, 12:26 AM
Is it just me, or is morale at an all time low??

The Sheriff seems more worried about his image than he does about his people. For all the lip service we get from a Staff member during briefing every few months, when was the last time you feel they were honest and sincere in what they said??

Everytime we get a COLA raise, someone from Staff comes and and basically tells us how great the Sheriff is and how much we should appreciate him. I don't know about you, but I feel like we have earned at least a COLA raise, not that we were jsut given it. When are they going to realize that a llttle more recognition would go as far or further than "GIVING" us a COLA raise and expecting us to kiss their arse in apreciation.

Don't get me wrong, this is a good agency and we have some great people. But, it is quite demoralizing to see people getting promoted because they are someone's relative or held a campaign sign. There was a time when people were promoted for their accomplishments, not for making appointments with every Major and Chief, stroking their ego's.

Its at all time pit low :cry:

07-08-2007, 11:51 PM
If you read the other dept boards you will see that the promotion "process" seems to be universal for all the agencies using the same kind of system that we are. I wish they would promote on leadership instead of management. I say this even when I’m not on the list, because that’s who I would want leading me. Leaders are in charge of people, managers are in charge of making sure the pens and pencils don’t run out of stock.

We are lucky to have the public support of our staff during critical times, if you pay attention to the media you will quickly see that all the agencies around here are not supported like we are. Read the message boards and you will see how after a little media pressure the members are left out to dry by their departments. This is the great strong point of our upper staff.

However until the pendulum in the upper staff starts to shift the other way on priorities for training, we will see the same attitude on what is mandated (CS) and what is considered an optional class (tac) that you need to take vacation hours for. Take a look at the requirements for the master dep program and you will see where the priority is currently set at. If we could convince the upper staff to swing the priority pendulum to keeping us tactically proficient instead of customer service reps I think it would solve a lot of the morale issues.

As far as the pay and cola issues go, I could care less how they say that they got it for us; the main point is that they got it. I don’t think any of us came into this job to be millionaires as long as it is reasonable and comparable. I care less about what type of diversity class people have to go to every 4 years (its a few hour class in 4 years get over it), I could care less about what happened to so and so to make them leave (as if there isn’t enough gossip in every work place) All of the pissing and whining around here about crap that doesn’t add up to a hill of beans in the real world. I watch deps every alert that can’t hit a steel target with a shotgun at 15 yrds, deps that can’t get out on hand held radios on priority calls, and deps that make choices during the shoot don’t shoot scenarios that would blow your mind. Wake up to what matters people, because that pine box is a lot hotter than any summer day wearing a vest.

07-10-2007, 02:16 AM
I've been a cop almost 20 years, came to the S.O. almost 3 years ago. I don't agree to much with the promotion process myself. But, I can tell you that after 09/28/2006 I believe the Sheriff cares about his people, and they are paramount. The statesments he made that day to the press, were from the heart and not to stroke his ego or as was said above image.

To answer some of your morale issues peer into a mirror, and ask yourself what contributions you've made to improve it. I think the majority find the agency a great place to work.

07-10-2007, 11:30 AM
My ONLY complaint is manpower ... not enough people working the street ... period!

07-10-2007, 12:35 PM
I have worked at this agency almost 13yrs. Sheriff Judd has never promised anything or said he would do something he couldn't. I am not big on politics, therefore I stay away from that aspect of the agency.
I think it's a great place to work for the most part. I don't have many complaints. I am just grateful for all they have done for me over the years and glad to have a job.
Do your job and don't lie and you should be alright!

07-15-2007, 04:06 PM
Howdy Boys and Girls
Enjoyed reading all the funny replies--sure improved my "morale". If you really want to feel good- go out and arrest some of the scum on our streets in this county - give them a little "customer service". Every time I do I get that warm, fuzzy feeling inside - knowing I was able to make their miserable existences a little more miserable. Heck, I'm starting to have a hard time finding dirt bags in my sector as they are leaving the area moving into the next county. So put some good energy in that direction and stop dwelling on things you don't have any control over anyway. You might just look forward to that next shift to see whom will be your next "project". Happy Hunting!

07-15-2007, 08:38 PM
Howdy Boys and Girls
Enjoyed reading all the funny replies--sure improved my "morale". If you really want to feel good- go out and arrest some of the scum on our streets in this county - give them a little "customer service". Every time I do I get that warm, fuzzy feeling inside - knowing I was able to make their miserable existences a little more miserable. Heck, I'm starting to have a hard time finding dirt bags in my sector as they are leaving the area moving into the next county. So put some good energy in that direction and stop dwelling on things you don't have any control over anyway. You might just look forward to that next shift to see whom will be your next "project". Happy Hunting!

Sounds like you need a psych evaluation ASAP.

07-15-2007, 11:17 PM
i gotta admit that i'm with "old school" on this one. i feel a warm tingly sensation when i hear those cuffs ratcheting closed. we are easily the luckiest people on earth to be the police. we get to do all the fun and dangerous stuff. they even pay us for it,even though it could always be a little more.

we do a good job. the community supports us. the sheriff supports us. we could definately use more people on the street. until we get them,we need to just keep watching out for each other. the only people looking out for cops are cops.

try hunting in 20,its like fish in a barrell.