PDA

View Full Version : advice for FHP academy

08-07-2006, 05:57 AM
I'm about to go into the Sept. 29 FHP academy. Any troopers have advice and do any troopers know where i can get the recruit uniform anywhere close to Orlando. Thanks

08-08-2006, 09:53 PM
hello there i am also going into the sept. 29th acadamy. just to let you know i ordered my uniform from gwillies.com they sent it in like 4 days. hope that helps you out. see you in a month.

08-08-2006, 11:25 PM
I'm about to go into the Sept. 29 FHP academy. Any troopers have advice and do any troopers know where i can get the recruit uniform anywhere close to Orlando. Thanks Congrads to the both of you starting in the academy. Now, heres some advice for both of you, take a little time and read some of the posts on here about cops writing cops..Think very hard about what kind of Trooper your going to be. Welcome to the Family and Be SAFE!!!

08-09-2006, 03:14 AM
That right congrats on going to the academy. Never forget the Thin Blue Line. Pay epically close to DT. You will need it as a Trooper. (NO taser, back up miles away) P. S. when you get on the roads make friends with the local Pd officers and S. O. deputies in your area. Get there cell phone numbers. You will be need them for back up. As some county's only have one Trooper. GOOD LUCK. LOOK FORWARD TO MEETING YOU!!! Pinellas Deputy

lifesabeach
08-10-2006, 08:41 PM
I am told I will be attending the FHP academy in Sept. also. I have not received any info from my backround inv. Have you received a letter? Were you told you are going or did you get a confirmation letter with certain instructions?? Well I hope to see you in Sept. Thanks

08-11-2006, 04:12 AM
i was told i was scheduled, then i recieved the package in the mail with general info a/b the academy and paperwork that has to be filled out.

lifesabeach
08-11-2006, 07:51 PM
I forgot to ask you when you started the process with the FHP. I took the test over a year ago. It seems like it is taking an eternity. Thanks for all the info. :D

08-12-2006, 09:20 AM
i just made a poopie.

hee hee

:o

vk0731
08-12-2006, 12:56 PM
I have just started the process. I am supposed to go to Orlando for the CJBAT & PAT at the end of August. Have any advice? For example....how difficult is the PAT? I walk/jog 2 miles 4 times a week, but that is endurance....not speed......and how in the heck am I supposed to remember every address I have lived at since I was 13? And every job since 18?!! I can remember most of them but I dont remember addresses, pay, supervisor names...... I don't want to be DQ just because I can't remember all of this information. And yes I have requested a job history from SSA but they told me it could take up to 4 months to get the information!!!!

HELP!!!!! :(

08-12-2006, 03:55 PM
This past year I went an took the PAT and CJBAT with the FHP, and I thought both were incredibly easy. I am in pretty good shape, but I never work out and I never run, and I ended up having the 2nd fastest time in my group. So it isn't that hard. You have over 6 minutes to finish the test, and when I was there a woman was having a hard time and was slow jogging most of it, and she still passed in time. So don't worry to much about it. Also, if you can read and write english, you should be able to get close to 100% on the CJBAT.

08-12-2006, 08:20 PM
The CJBAT and PAT are fairly easy. Filling out all the apps is the hardest part. You will get more than one if you progress through the steps. Go to the Social security office for a job history. I got mine in about 10 minutes. Just tell them what it is for. The SS paper work will have all the addresses of your employment. As for everything else, put down what you believe is correct. Try to get as much info as possible. You won't get DQ for putting down a wrong hourly wage or supervisors name. Just try to remember someone of importance from your past jobs and put them down. If they call that person, they can route them to the correct contact. Good luck in August.

vk0731
08-12-2006, 08:36 PM
I went to my local SSA office ...which is 45 miles away...and they are the ones that told me that I had to send in a form and $67 for my complete job history. And it could take 4 months because of my age, which is not too old, but they have to go all the way back to age 18. :( Very discouraging....but optimistic!!

For past supervisor names, well, I am guessing on most of them and 4 places I use to work are no longer in business. But I swear on my family bible, I am trying my best to remember this stuff...but dates, pay, well..... all I can do is guess!

08-17-2006, 07:45 PM
The only tip that I can give is that you better not be late or early. However, I do believe that it has changed since I went over 6 years ago. I believe it is more warm and fuzzy now. Just go in there and be a panzy. You will do just fine. Good Luck.

08-17-2006, 11:56 PM
Why did you all choose FHP instead of any other agencies? Especially with their not so great pay and benefits..just curious
Good luck!

08-18-2006, 01:33 AM
Cool hats, big shoes and that gosh darn red nose ! Why do you think silly ?

08-18-2006, 03:26 AM
I honestly dont know..FHP pays crappy and benefits are crappy, sooo many other agencies hiring elsewhere..oh well...good luck and be safe out there

08-18-2006, 04:47 AM
Let's see.....Seven to twelve months of testing that you have to pay for. Six months at the academy eating horrible food, being stuck there for 5 days out of the week, learning a BS fictional curriculum (maybe it has changed), putting up with the horrible management, and getting paid slave wages. All this so you can go work 12 wrecks a week. Yeah...totally worth it. If you like fighting with people on the side of the road in the 90 degree heat over how it isn't their fault for rear ending a car then FHP is for you. Don't expect to be out there everyday arresting reckless drivers and taking down drug runners. I can assure you that is not how it is. If you dont know what 10-65 means, believe me, you soon will. Oh yeah....all this for a net pay of $2264 a month.

08-18-2006, 12:46 PM
It seems that everyone wants to slam the guy or girl that chooses the FHP instead of an other agency. It is their decision, and I am sure they have put much thought into their choice. If someone wants to go through the grueling process to earn less money, why do they get crap for it :?: The process is long for a reason. I know the state would not waste the time, money and manpower to process someone into the academy that wasn't qualified. I also know that just because you are qualified does not mean you have common sense. This is one thing that no academy can teach.(community college or FHP) We should respect eachother the same because of the job we do, not because of which agency we do or do not work for. At the end of the year we all make way to less for the job we do and the risks we take. This is the society we live in. We pay our athletes millions a year to entertain, but pay our police nothing to protect. Even if we all stood together for better pay and benefits regardless of agency, it would not change a thing. All we have at the end is ourselves. We all serve because we want to. Not for glory, money or agency. We serve to protect our little part of the world we are tasked with. So it doesn't matter what academy you attend or agency you work for. Be safe :!:

08-29-2006, 04:37 AM
Have been up to new academy a couple of times since its move out to Pat Thomas. Nice facilities, slightly better food. You will have alot more freedom than those that went to patrol school at the old place. All I can say is keep your eyes on the prize and don't sweat the small stuff. FHP academy has one of the highest pass rates for the state exam of all other academies in the state.
As to the posters that down the patrol for not doing "real" police work. I am not sure what the standard is you use to gauge police work. I can only feel that you are the types that strut around in "Big Johnson" LE shirts or something. Before you go off on some rant about how you daily go out and kick butt or something you need to take notice of a few things. There are plenty of names on that wall in DC of folks from agencies of all types, sizes and areas.
As to the tyoe of work the FHP does, it varies from area to area. Main function is traffic enforcement. But you may find yourself in a district where its you, one city cop, and one deputy for a shift. Guess who is helping who.
Worst thing about the Patrol, in my opinion is the pay. Don't know what to say about that. Best thing however is the overall freedom. You typically do not have a supervisor on you or around for that matter a good portion of the time. You need to learn to be your own boss and manage your time. Equipment has gotten better of the years (minus the radio's!).
Only other big question I see on the board is about assigments. Its hit or miss. Last couple of classes seemed to send majority to either Orlando, Tampa, or Ft.Myers.
In comparing the patrol to other LE agencies it really comes down to what kind of work you want to do. FHP is a good starting point for some, getting you in the door. I started my career with a big PD. After 9 years I left to get away from the city. I did not want to deal with the politics of a small town or SO and went with the state.
The last thing I will say to you future Troopers, Officers or Deputies is about the Professional Courtesy issues that have been brought up. All I can say is in nearly 15 yrs, I have never written another LEO. Use some judgement when you get out there. There are plenty of other contacts to be made. Good Luck to all. Stay Safe!

09-18-2006, 05:07 AM
WHILE AT THE ACADEMY,KEEP YOUR NOSE CLEAN,STUDY HARD AND MAKE YOUR FOLKS PROUD...
YOU WILL BE FRINE IF YOU STAY FOCUSED AND REMEMBER,NEVER WRITE A COP OR HIS FAMILY..
GOOD LUCK..

09-23-2008, 10:27 PM
awesome thread. i wonder if those guys made it through the FHP ACADEMY.

09-23-2008, 11:02 PM
I'm sure they made it through the academy; probably didn't make it through their 2 year contract. Now on to more important things, why did you choose to resurrect a thread that was 2 years old?

09-24-2008, 01:57 AM
I'm sure they made it through the academy; probably didn't make it through their 2 year contract. Now on to more important things, why did you choose to resurrect a thread that was 2 years old?

heheh :snicker: