PDA

View Full Version : Survey

08-02-2006, 11:11 PM
I noticed on a post that a survey had been sent out by the new commissioner. Unfortunately, I and more end users like me were not made aware, nor given access. Understandable certainly, but even so there are issues that need to be discussed and or debated that would normally not reach the light of day.

I am wondering why the training arm of FDLE as well as the Criminal Justice Standards and Training Commission (CJSTC) has chosen to ignore Basic Recruit Training for Department of Corrections Probation Officers. The curriculum is 10-15 years out of date making certification almost meaningless. Ultimately Probation Officers are being certified ill prepared to perform their mission, which now includes high liability, law enforcement functions.

I realize that the politics of the issue remain. But it seems to me that Law Enforcement would surely benefit from a better trained Probation Officer. After all, LEO’s are supporting PO’s doing warrantless arrests, searches et al. It's only a matter of time before an officer or officers get hurt because some PO was ill trained.

Put politics aside Commissioner and do the right thing. At least insure that your training folks put the issue on the next CJSTC agenda. You are after all, responsible for the initial professionalism of all certified officers in this state. This includes Probation Officers.

08-03-2006, 01:03 AM
The DC has a representative on the CJSTC and I would suggest you raise the issue within your department if you feel that it is important. The DC representative can raise it at the CJSTC on the department's behalf. The CJSTC is an independent commission made up of criminal justice leaders from all over Florida and from many disciplines and the FDLE Commissioner does not control nor direct the Commission.

It is an interesting conclusion that you immediately blame the CJSTC and FDLE for "ignoring" CPO recruit training- I would encourage you to get the facts before making such an accusation. You play a critical role in our criminal justice system and I encourage you to explore the issue with your Department.

08-03-2006, 02:10 AM
I certainly respect your opinion. Here are the facts. Approximately 9 years ago when FDLE began their CMS project, they spent 2/3rds of the CMS budget on developing CMS for law enforcement. At one of the Commission meetings, I remember the exchange between a Commissioner and Pat Melton that went something like this:

“You’ve spent how much? What are you going to do about CMS for Correctional Officers and Probation Officers?”

Her proposal was to hire the university contact that was then responsible for the development of the CMS law enforcement curriculum.

“You mean to tell me you are going to hire the person full time that’s responsible for this?”

Her answer was in the affirmative. The end result was the DOC developed it’s own Correctional Officer curriculum (COBRA), and for some reason Probation Officers were left out of the loop. The CO curriculum to this date is the sole responsibility of the DOC.

Those are the facts. And the fact remains that FDLE to this day, is the certifying agency responsible for the initial certification of all law enforcement officers in the State of Florida, and they have done nothing to insure that Probation Officers are prepared to meet the challenges and missions assigned by the Governor, the Legislature, and the Florida Department of Corrections.

08-03-2006, 03:31 AM
Consider contacting Probation PBA President Gil Fortner and determine if it is a situation that can be addressed as a Officer Safety issue from the Union.