PDA

View Full Version : Contract Negotiation

08-01-2006, 03:41 PM
Ok, we all filled out our survey.

What were the results of the survey?

What were the top desired benefits?

Does anyone know what OUR union is going to ask for at the negotiation table?

Are we going to be kept informed during the process?

Or are they going to come to us at the end and say, "this is all the city will offer"?

08-01-2006, 06:41 PM
The union has really put some hard work in this contract. They want to increase the vacation bank limit to 480 hours, Don't get to excited, ( no they are not asking for more hours per year, just a bigger bank) the next big demand, they want the city to buy your boots, 3rd let you grieve your pending file and the best one of all, you better sit down for this one, bereavement leave pay for your significant other, AKA domestic partner. Yep I already feel richer. I don't any remember seeing that stuff on the survey...Oh your raises, they can't discuss that right now, have to get the big issues out of the way 1st.

08-01-2006, 09:35 PM
St.Pete PD buys boot and safety rated sun glasses, even Oakleys. They pay over $150 for glasses.

Another factor that should be brought up in the cost of living increase is the raise in insurance to live in this area. I heard some officers cant buy homes since they cant get insurance. If the can get a home the insurance costs $3k a year. That is a huge cost. If we cant afford to live in the area as prices go up, the city will have problems in future retention. It's cheaper to live up north the way things are going.

We live in an area with a serious potential for a natural disaster. If the city expects us to work during these disasters and forsake our own homes and belongings, I would like to know that I could afford to rebuild. I love my job, but you see what happened in New Orleans. Officers left and didn't return because their homes, belongings and families were more important to protect than the citizens homes and belongings.

Maybe they should work a deal with the city in that if you work during a major disaster and your home is destroyed or looted, the city will assist you and your family to rebuild in the area.

Its just a thought...

08-01-2006, 10:44 PM
Every officer would be a fool to accept anything less than 12% over three years. It never fails. The PBA negotiates for benefits. Then the Fire Union negotiates for pay and GETS IT! Their pay is now comparable to ours, and they received a much larger percentage increase than we did.

Our pension contributions will probably increase by 3-4%, our medical insurance will increase probably 15-25&, and the cost of living has increased about 4% a year for the last two years. So we are in the hole at least 22%.

As always, the PBA does a survey and then they do what they want to do. When have they ever released the results of one of these surveys? And who in the heck mentioned getting "boots" as a benefit?

If you get a pay increase, I think that we can buy our own boots. I for one, after being a PBA member for many years, will cancel my membership if the PBA does not step up for the members on this contract. A future post will be made to show some of the ridiculous things that the PBA has allowed on prior contracts.

If every PBA member as a show of solidarity, were to go to the PBA and threaten to cancel our membership, then they will get the message. Lastly, the more money you make then the better your pension will be, and you may even have some money left over to buy some boots.

08-01-2006, 11:54 PM
well, look around us.
Pasco gets 10%
School Board gets 10%
our mayor gets 11%
Home owner insurance goes up 85%
Gas prices up 33% since last year
you are crazy if you sign if we are offered less than 10% every year for the next 3 years
Maybe the majors will give up some of their bonuses for us lowering the crime rate by 18%.

08-02-2006, 02:29 AM
I totally agree with you!

There are many PBA's up north that go after the city all the time (http://www.nypdflsa.com/index.html). The problem that we have with ours is that the reps will do the very minimum that they have to do in a case because they do not want to make big waves. Why? Various reasons come into play, friendships, promotions, not wanting to become a target themselves, etc. We need a PBA that has balls and is going to keep it's members informed, and motivate them to get involved. A P.B.A. that demonstrates that they truely care, and are willing to fight for it's members, no matter the cost, time, or effort that has to be put into it.

N.Y.P.D. P.B.A. ( http://www.nycpba.org/news/index.html):

"We waged a media advertisement campaign, made public appearances too numerous to count, appeared on radio and TV, demonstrated at the Republican National Convention and picketed the Mayor at public appearances and other locations, including his residence, all to highlight our wage plight. While the City may not have been moved by our campaign, the public, press and ultimately the arbitrator heard our public arguments and we believe that the public campaign strengthened our position." Sounds like our press conferences, right? L.M.A.O.

"On June 28, 2005, after 14 days of arbitration and numerous days of other hearings and meetings, an award was issued by the PERB panel in our 2002-2004 Contract Arbitration, ending a protracted round of bargaining that began in September 2002. As you know, this produced an award of 5% per year over two years, or 10.25% compounded. While we deserved much more and that was clearly proven in our arbitration hearings, this award represented a significant upward departure from anything offered by the City across the negotiating table or during the mediation process."

With the crime reduction bonuses that the chief and majors received, I think that at a minimum 5, 5, and 5 sounds good. We did all the dirty work!

N.Y.C.S.T. (http://www.nystpba.org/pages/public/news.asp?cat=D)

The PBA will be presenting arguments before the Appellate Division, Third Department, today defending a previous Supreme Court decision that the Division of State Police wrongly withheld a Trooper’s pay after an initial 30-day suspension from duty. The ruling also ordered the Trooper be paid retroactively. Following the court win in favor of the PBA, Division filed an appeal.

Attached above is the 19-page brief filed by the PBA to accompany today’s arguments in court. To read the brief, just click on the icon above. The PBA will continue to fight for our members’ rights through whatever means necessary.

I can go on and on with examples from other P.B.A.'s. I think that you guys get the picture.

Now to be fair, I do not think that the members help the situation by playing the me, myself, and I routine.

N.Y.P.D.:

"We want to thank you for taking the time to participate in this important process. The AAA informed us that the average turnout for a union election is 30%, while the turnout for the PBA 2003 election was over 53%, far greater than the average. We will continue our efforts to involve all members in the important work of the union.

On a more personal note, we want to thank you for your loyalty and support over the past four years. Over 70% of the membership expressed approval of the direction this organization is heading under the current leadership. This mandate sends a clear message to elected officials and others that WE SPEAK WITH ONE VOICE."

We need to stop all the gossip, back stabbing, etc., and stand united as one. United we stand, divided we fall.

Peace out, my brothers, and be safe!

08-02-2006, 08:32 AM
I don't care what you say, NYPD is the joke of police agencies in the NY metropolitan area. Don't even attempt to compare their PBA to ours! NYPD step increases are listed below:

Annual base salaries for officers hired during

January 2006 or after:

Police Academy (first six months): $25,100 (Annualized)
Upon completion of six months: $32,700
Upon completion of 1 ½ years: $34,000
Upon completion of 2 ½ years: $38,000
Upon completion of 3 ½ years: $41,500
Upon completion of 4 ½ years: $44,100
Upon completion of 5 ½ years: $59,588

* These salaries do not include overtime earnings, night-shift differential, holiday pay and uniform allowance. There is also longevity pay every five years up to twenty years of service

This is obviously a joke! No, it's actually reality off the NYPD web-page. Other agencies outside of NYC, espically on Long Island make $100,000 after 6 years. Yes, the cost of living is crazy on LI, but it's worse in NYC and you see what they are paid!

08-02-2006, 07:01 PM
You know, I just got my most recent edition of "Badge and Labor". It says to goto the PBA site because there is "loads" of information.

I went there to see ANYTHING about the results of the survey or what happened at the negotiations. You know what I found?

NOTHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

08-02-2006, 07:51 PM
I don't care what you say, NYPD is the joke of police agencies in the NY metropolitan area. Don't even attempt to compare their PBA to ours! NYPD step increases are listed below:

Annual base salaries for officers hired during

January 2006 or after:

Police Academy (first six months): $25,100 (Annualized)
Upon completion of six months: $32,700
Upon completion of 1 ½ years: $34,000
Upon completion of 2 ½ years: $38,000
Upon completion of 3 ½ years: $41,500
Upon completion of 4 ½ years: $44,100
Upon completion of 5 ½ years: $59,588

* These salaries do not include overtime earnings, night-shift differential, holiday pay and uniform allowance. There is also longevity pay every five years up to twenty years of service

This is obviously a joke! No, it's actually reality off the NYPD web-page. Other agencies outside of NYC, espically on Long Island make $100,000 after 6 years. Yes, the cost of living is crazy on LI, but it's worse in NYC and you see what they are paid!

The post was not about the N.Y.P.D, the post was about how our P.B.A. does business, compared to other P.B.A. Ours is a joke. The post was also about how we need to unite. Read it again.

But since you brought up salaries, why did you stop at year 5? Is it because at year ten N.Y.P.D. makes more than us. N.Y.P.D's year 5 is almost equal to our year 8 salary. I know, the cost of living is more up there. But with increased property tax, health insurance, gas prices, pension contributions, house prices etc. Well, you get the point. Then again, maybe not!

08-02-2006, 09:55 PM
you better sit down for this one, bereavement leave pay for your significant other, AKA domestic partner.

WTF??? What's the reason for this? Does the PBA actually think that getting funeral leave for a domestic partner is something that anyone really cares about? What's the real reason? Is Durkin swinging both ways now?

08-03-2006, 01:30 AM
Yes, I know the post was not about NYPD rather the NYPD PBA. I'd say though, if the NYPD PBA was so strong the NYPD would be better paid. The cost of living in NYC is outrageous and worse in the suburbs around NYC (LI, NJ, Conn.). Also, NYC cops have to pay a City and State income tax. After all that, their take home pay is grossly low. I'd question if their PBA was really any better than ours.

08-03-2006, 01:39 AM
Guess they gave the surveys out to who they wanted. I haven't even heard of one, much less got one??????????

08-03-2006, 02:39 AM
I also just checked out the PBA website. The surevey is there, but no results. It just shows what was on the survey and to rate how important each item is.

Funny thing, I do not see anything about domestic partner bereavement leave, or boots. The bereavement issue is an overall City issue for all employees and not just the police department.

As for salaries, anyone who doesn't want and deserve more money is crazy. Our lives are on the line every day. How much are they worth? A pair of shiny new boots maybe?

I haven't seen anyone the rank of Sgt or below that thinks that we make too much now. Management might, only because they are salaried. But if we make more, then they will make more.

Again, the more money you make now, then the more your salary will average out when you start receiving your pension. If you don't want more money, then how about you just accept it for the rest of us that do, and then donate the extra to a good charity. Heck, you don't even have to claim the deduction on your taxes so that you can make even less money.

08-03-2006, 01:16 PM
VWTF??? What's the reason for this? Does the PBA actually think that getting funeral leave for a domestic partner is something that anyone really cares about? What's the real reason? Is Durkin swinging both ways now?

Yes, I would imagone that there are some that do care. Why shouldn't they get bereavement leave too? Because their lifestyle doesn't match yours? I don't want to get married but I still have every right to have bereavement leave if something happened to my other hallf. The Mayor realized it was an important issue, why can't you? This leave also convers hetero couples who live together without being married just as the Mayor's new health care coverage does and yes... it covers gay and lesbian officers too. I just wish that those of us who chose an occupation that charges us to uphold the constitution would remember the 14th ammendment. EQUALITY.

08-03-2006, 03:34 PM
I recognize you know, you are the guy (or gal) that wasn't sitting in any of the PBA meetings. In fact, except for 2 or 3 "regulars" I can't ever remember a non board member sitting in on a PBA meeting unless they had a case for arbitration. Grow up and get involved.

And are any of you stupid enough to think that we are going to fight (and win) our battles on a site such as this?

08-03-2006, 03:44 PM
For anyone out there at the rank of Lt. down to officer, if you are approached by management to talk about how poor the City is or how we shouldn't be expecting much, that is an UNFAIR LABOR PRACTICE. Report such contact to the PBA office immediately.

Apparently this has been a common topic at some roll calls and was appropriate until negotiations began. Now it is considered an unfair labor practice and is illegal, the Chief has been reminded of such conduct by his staff. There is a proper forum for management to cry poor it is called the bargaining table. By the way, we know they aren't poor we read the same papers they do and even follow the City's own website.

08-03-2006, 07:15 PM
To all persons who has yet to realize we are being led by a bunch of baffoons. Look at the Maus case, and what is going on throughtout the dept right now. If we keep this current administration we are destined to be the next St. Pete. Stand up for yourself and others. WE have to put a stop to this, they are destroying OUR future.

08-05-2006, 04:23 AM
I just wish that those of us who chose an occupation that charges us to uphold the constitution would remember the 14th ammendment. EQUALITY.

Get a grip. The 14th amendment (helps if you spell it correctly) has nothing to do with being gay or lesbian. Numerous court opinions, all the way from local courts to the United States Supreme Court, have ruled that gay and lesbian couples are not the same as those who are legally married. Those same courts have overturned gay marriage laws. So before you wave your rainbow flag in our face and accuse us of being bigots because we don't feel the same way you do, read up a little on the constitutional law yourself.

And this should be the last thing the PBA fights for. It would effect a VERY small percentage of the department a VERY small percentage of the time. I'm sure that the majority of officers would rather see a $50 boot allowance than domestic partner funeral leave.

08-05-2006, 04:46 AM
Sorry Sparky but the SCOTUS has not ruled on gay marriage yet so it's not a closed case. So far, every time a case involving the equal rights of gays has gone to the SCOTUS, it has been ruled in favor of gays. Why do you think every single sodomy law inthe USA has been repealed? Thats right Sparky, SCOTUS ruled in favor of equal rights. Also, while Loving vs Virginia (1967) was based on interracial marriage, the decision was not. The decision was that marriage is a human right. It didnt say hetero marriage. It didnt say man and woman. It said HUMAN RIGHT. Now, in case you haven't kept up with the news, Indiana's highest court also ruled that unmarried gay couples can adopt children together. America is leaving you bigots behind as it moves forward. I will gladly give up $50 so domestic partners can have funeral leave because equality is the most important thing we have. Oh and you fail to understand that domestic partner also includes unmarried hetero couples living together.

08-05-2006, 03:29 PM
Did the scotus rule that I can have boots? I would rather have boots. You want funeral leave, take sick other and drive on. Next you will want health care paid for by the city for your domestic partner. In that case I want health care for my dog, cat, girlfriend or boyfriend. When only a small % of people are in this category nothing should change. If everyone in the department had a "domestic partner" then I could see it being an issue.

I could care less about boots if it means it takes way from a real issue like heathcare or better pay. If we focus on little things the city will focus on those things and think that the big things aren't an issue. They will do what save them money.