PDA

View Full Version : Negotiations

08-01-2006, 12:53 AM
Well the city again has shown their total lack of respect for the Police Officers again. They should be ashamed at the pay offer, again falling way short. When will they get it? This last proposal is no different than the last contact pay plan. At the end we are in the same position that we are today if not further behind, 2009 looks bleek. The issue of comp time in leu of pay is insane, the worst part, it is supported by Admin. There is no support from the BPD admin in this negotiation, this is all about saving the city money. If you ever needed a reason to believe that Bradenton is unable to fairly compensate its Officers it is now staring you in the face. For a specfic member of the city negotiation team saying what they are offering was good and not low balling is rediculous. There is obviously serious problems in the view of the Police in Bradenton. We are by far the peeons of the County. This new proposal won't put a BPD Officer's starting pay at 38k untill the end of the contract, yes April of 2009. This bit of 50% in October and 50% in April is nuts. That is a scam to save the city money. This place is sick and there is no cure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

08-01-2006, 01:14 AM
Lets see what happens--we came in high and the city came in low. Who would have ever thought that? Lets see how it ends up before we cut our wrists and the citys throat!!!! Don't panic but be strong.

08-02-2006, 01:55 AM
I make 55,000 a year and only been here for 5 years.

08-03-2006, 01:02 AM
5 years = 55, 000
Over time = unlimited$$$$$
Lifting Weights and watching TV = Priceless

08-03-2006, 01:21 AM
overtime is not unlimited for the fire fighters. They work 53 regular hours in a week and get paid only 3 hours of overtime. All of these hours, all 56, are included in thier salary. A starting fire fighter makes more than a starting officer but they work 56 hour a week. If you do the math, a starting fire fighter makes about $10 bucks an hour.

08-05-2006, 05:09 AM
I JUST HEARD THAT OUR PBA IS BACK IN RECONFIGURING THE NUMBERS. IS THIS TRUE. WAS THEIR A MEETING THAT I MISSED. I DONT REMEMBER VOTING ON THAT ONE. WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO "WE WILL STAND OUR GROUND, WE ARE NOT BACKING DOWN THIS TIME, WE JUST NEED TO STAND TOGETHER". ONE NEGOTITATION AND WE STOP FIGHTING. IM CONFUSED. I THOUGHT WE REALLY HAD A SHOT THIS TIME. IS THIS TRUE OR IS IT A RUMOR. PLEASE HELP ME OUT HERE.

08-05-2006, 07:41 AM
overtime is not unlimited for the fire fighters. They work 53 regular hours in a week and get paid only 3 hours of overtime. All of these hours, all 56, are included in thier salary. A starting fire fighter makes more than a starting officer but they work 56 hour a week. If you do the math, a starting fire fighter makes about $10 bucks an hour.

OK, while they work 53 hours, how many of that is actual work? They might respond to a fall and stand around until EMS gets there, then go back and wash their truck. Hard work. We work 40+ hours a week plus court, get no respect from the people we deal with or try to help and get crap for it when we don't give someone a smile. There is a big difference there.

08-05-2006, 12:49 PM
Our Union guys can verify that the COP has been working hard behind the scenes on the Mayor and Council and it looks like ihis work will pay off for us with a new offer from the City that has more money for us.
Lets see what the "final" offer really ends up to be!!! So please don't burn any bridges yet!!!!!!

08-05-2006, 02:19 PM
Who cares what the Fire Department makes our how many hours they actually put in a shift. They received and deserve their pay raise, dont slam them becuase they were able to stand together and receive a good raise. Pointing fingers at them is not going to help our raise request, it makes us sound likes *****es.

Thiers
08-06-2006, 12:52 AM
I JUST HEARD THAT OUR PBA IS BACK IN RECONFIGURING THE NUMBERS. IS THIS TRUE. WAS THEIR A MEETING THAT I MISSED. I DONT REMEMBER VOTING ON THAT ONE. WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO "WE WILL STAND OUR GROUND, WE ARE NOT BACKING DOWN THIS TIME, WE JUST NEED TO STAND TOGETHER". ONE NEGOTITATION AND WE STOP FIGHTING. IM CONFUSED. I THOUGHT WE REALLY HAD A SHOT THIS TIME. IS THIS TRUE OR IS IT A RUMOR. PLEASE HELP ME OUT HERE.

Please remember, the offer that came on Monday the 31st of July was the first offer back from the city. It was not what we had proposed, but that is what negotiations are. Our attorney took the city's offer back to check the numbers and break them down. We did not "vote" on anything. Pay attention, WE WILL NOT SIGN OFF ON ANYTHING REGARDING PAY WITHOUT CONSULTING WITH THE BARGAINING MEMBERS FIRST. Please pay attention to the PBA Bullentin Board for an upcoming meeting prior to going back to the city on August 28th. We are not done fighting.

Thiers

08-19-2006, 04:57 PM
Yes maybe you do "work" 56 hours a week but are you really working all of those hours. It is amazing to me how we get paid so poorly and the wages BFD gets paid. I have been to the fire stations and I know what goes on. I have heard many comments about how you get paid to sit around and watch t.v. and how officers are mad because we went to the wrong academy. The problem may lie in BPD representation during negotiations. I find it very rude to come on this board and b@tch that you work so many hours a week. Try working in the sun for forty hours a week and humping calls in polyester!!.
Ooh and one other thing when were got screwed last December and they took out holiday pay to adjust our work week, we weren't compensated with comp time to make up for it like yous. And when we call in sick ten hours is deducted unlike your eight hours for a twenty four hour shift.

08-19-2006, 05:02 PM
Please Please come to these meetings. The last meeting inthe city council room only had a show of about ten officers. It was really sad to look around and see that no one can follow thru. There is so many people complaining that we don't get paid enough and then only ten officers show up!!! We all need to stick together and stop complaining and do something about it. Please every come to the next meeting to show support.

Thiers
08-25-2006, 06:57 PM
NEGOTIATION MEETING:

Monday August 28th, 2006

9:30 am

City Council Chambers

EVERYONE NEEDS TO SHOW UP!

Thiers

08-25-2006, 10:05 PM
Its not worth our time anymore Thiers!

08-26-2006, 01:26 AM
Pay Nazi---NO PAY FOR YOU!!!

08-28-2006, 09:08 PM
How did the negotiations go today?

08-28-2006, 09:19 PM
Like usual, nothing impressive. Same old smoke screen no more money, only changed where it goes. Some benefit others take a hit. All for one and one for all, the city dropped the ball again.

08-28-2006, 10:43 PM
That is not how I see it. The last contract the guys with the most time on got a much bigger raise. Now its time for us younger guys to get it

A $6,000 raise this October for us younger guys is real good.

08-28-2006, 11:01 PM
Are you serious? That's horrible. That kind of thinking is going to ruin it for all of us.

08-28-2006, 11:20 PM
That is not how I see it. The last contract the guys with the most time on got a much bigger raise. Now its time for us younger guys to get it

A $6,000 raise this October for us younger guys is real good.

it seems like noone cares about the entry and starting salary. everyone is worried about what the 5+ year officers will end up making. the entry salary needs to be increased substantially. how do you expect to be a competitive agency and increase the hiring standards when were are starting out at the lowest in the area?

08-28-2006, 11:49 PM
FACT--lets look at MSO and BPD--
Our senior guys make more than MSO whos Officers max out at $49,000.

Fact- us young guys got screwed by the Union last time cause the Union Reps were the senior guys and got themselves the money.

Now anyone who has 1 to 5 years on is going to get $11,000 over 3 years!! Yes I am afraid I agree $6,000 raise at one time in October is very good. Of course the senior guys are going to say no but its our time now!!!!

08-28-2006, 11:57 PM
Here's an idea: Stick together so we all get a good raise. $6000 is not a good raise. It's bad and it won't support anyone.

08-29-2006, 01:01 AM
just like the senior stuck together for us younger guys last time--right!!!!!

08-29-2006, 01:03 AM
$6,000 at once is about 15 to 18 pecent raise at one time--who or where else is going to get that? All us youngens are saying YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

08-29-2006, 01:05 AM
It all comes down to this, new officers need to be paid I agree but senior officers are what run your agency and guide the new officers. If you want to keep a resposible agency you need to look at long term not short term. Fact is most people come to Bradenton for training not a career. Maintain what you have, you cannot have a 10 year officer making 3-4 thousand more than a newer guy. You have to max out so there is something to look forward too. Fact is the city needs to boost ALL salaries. I support the lower end and the top end and we all need to stand together. The city has in the past thrown some omoney at the new guys because they know that ratification will come. It wold be dangerous for us to have it happen again.

08-29-2006, 01:18 AM
If you were here last time you would know that 5 people voted no for the contract. It was a horrible mistake because we were all afraid of not getting any thing. If you ratify this proposal the City will once again win. The only result will be more people walking out. I know this because I have seen it before. We are a union and need to stand together as one. If we do, which will be the first time, we may actually see the benefit. Look at the Fire department they stood together and got what they wanted. It took some time but they won, all of them. This is a team effort, don't think of just yourself.

08-29-2006, 02:15 AM
What would you guys know about last time...I've only been here 8 years and I started at 22K. It has gotten a lot better since then, and there is still room to grow. I took the hit on the first negotiated contract to give the senior guys and the sergeants a better boost......stop the ME thinking and start with the WE mindset. If WE all stick together WE can all get good raises, but it has to be TOGETHER! You can take your 6 grand now but in a couple of years you will be in the 5-6 year range wondering what happened. You should not be able to walk in the door making a few grand less than a 10 year veteran, get some experience first and earn it. You also must keep in mind that the "youngens" do not have the majority, ie 50% + 1. It does us no good to be divided, WE can all make good on this contract but WE need to do it right.

08-29-2006, 03:17 AM
Player, I usually don't agree with your comments, but your right on with this one!!! We that have been here any amount of time need to stick together, do not let yourself be punk'd with a city hall ploy.

08-29-2006, 10:35 AM
WE need everyone to show up to the next meeting. Its on 9-11.

08-29-2006, 12:31 PM
I work midnights, this 9:30am thing don't work out. Really, do we get a better offer If "I" show up?

08-29-2006, 12:32 PM
Are these negotiating meetings? Or just a show up and hear what they have offered. If that's the case, I can hear it second hand.

Thiers
08-29-2006, 01:07 PM
Are these negotiating meetings? Or just a show up and hear what they have offered. If that's the case, I can hear it second hand.

To answer your question, yes, this is a negotiation meeting. Only our attorney can speak in regards to the offers that the city is proposing. Your best interest would be to show up and listen first hand. People showing up show's the city that we are actually interested in fighting for a good contract. By not showing up, well, we will end up like we did three years ago. We are not close on the pay numbers and we are not giving up. The next meeting is very important. All Bargaining Members need to show up, listen, and respond when our attorney asks questions on the breaks when the city leaves the room. If you have any questions, please contact me, and please, sign your name to posts when you have concerns. If you don't care, don't complain.

Next meeting:

September 11th, 2006

9:30 am

City Council Chambers

Thiers

08-29-2006, 01:35 PM
Each one of us that shows up at the meeting makes a difference. These people are spitting in our faces and we don't even have the courage to look them in the eyes or show up to the meeting. If you work mids come for an hour or so and then go back to sleep. think of it as court. It is very important that everyone show up to the last meeting this is the the most important of all. So everyone who cares how much money we bring home PLEASE COME!!!!! We are not going to settle for either contract and if we STICK TOGETHER we will get the money that we all deserve not just new guys or senior officers. Everyone needs to stop fighting and making excuses and come to the meeting. I always here everyone complaining that they do not make enough money but these same officers never show up. DeMilly

08-29-2006, 01:50 PM
How is the City spitting in our eyes? The first offer was $4,000 in October and now its $6,000 in October-sounds like progress to me. Lets see what the next offer is -but to say the City is spitting in our eyes is a little harsh when we are negioating with them.

08-29-2006, 09:03 PM
How is the City spitting in our eyes? The first offer was $4,000 in October and now its $6,000 in October-sounds like progress to me. Lets see what the next offer is -but to say the City is spitting in our eyes is a little harsh when we are negioating with them.

I believe the first was $4k for people under 5 years and $6k for those above. I heard this offer was the same, except people below 5 years are getting 6 and the ones above are getting 4. No matter where you are in your years, that's still not enough to raise a family, buy a house and now pay for gas.

08-30-2006, 04:01 AM
look this is the first time in a long time that i have seen our department start to stick together. at least we all agree that we dont make enough money. but we have some people that are showing up and others making excuses. the best shot we have is to stick together. i hear alot of complaining but not enough support. if people dont show up and show face then we will not get anything. then you can not complain. the contract is not to better certain officers and not others. we will all improve. dont forget that this contract will be for 2-3 years. where will you be then. your not just starting, when this contract is up you will be a 4-5+ year officer. thats where the money should show. i dont personally care about the officer that does 1-2 years here then leaves. i care about the officers that are here for 3+ years and plans to stay. look at your futures not at what happens tommorrow. it only makes sense that people stick together and show up to the meetings, if not we all loose. the offer that they have proposed is a joke but that is what we will be stuck with if they dont think that we care. the only chance we have is to stick together,i dont see why this is a problem when we all what the same thing.

Thiers
09-01-2006, 01:50 AM
Anyone who has questions about the current proposal by the city can come to me and see the offer, or better yet, show up to the meetings and see it face to face. I cannot emphasize the importance of the September 11th meeting and the need for the biggest turn out ever!!!! Officers need to show up!!! Stop floating rumors about these negotiations, and please, stick together and lets finish on top. No one said it would be simple.

Thiers

09-12-2006, 07:00 AM
any new on the 9-11 meeting???

09-12-2006, 11:56 AM
Yeah. We gave out offer, which wasn't that great to begin with, and the city luaghed.