PDA

View Full Version : Florida is a right to work state

07-26-2006, 04:10 PM
Rather, it is a right to screw the employees state.

I spoke with an attorney about conditions at the department as it relates to officer safety. I was concerned about being sent out to the streets in what is becoming a more dangerous situation due to the management and deteriorating conditions.

My point was that since the department was putting us out there, they ought to be accountable. This lawyer said that unless they did something (actively), to you (directly) they had no real liability.

I have heard many times an officer say something along the lines of 'I have made notes to have my spouse give an attorney so that upon my death he/she could sue the city.'

Unfortunately, since we are covered by workers compensation nothing can be done to the city as that (workers compensation) is the recourse.

So, basically, unless a staff member pushed you down a flight of stairs, they are clean.

Check this out. Call your union attorney and ask the same questions. You'll find out that we are truely in trouble!!

07-26-2006, 04:42 PM
It's true, unless the City's actions are "substantially certain" to cause injury, workman's compensation is the sole remedy. There is no liability for the staffing levels. Now if a undercover officer was ordered to go unarmed into the Uhuru house wearing a KKK t-shirt, then yes, there would be liability there, but a situation where backup is 10 minutes away, sorry, no case.