PDA

View Full Version : DODGES

07-25-2006, 07:53 PM
I saw the new Magnums at the shop the other day...I heard they are going to D7. Does anybody know if they have a V6 or a HEMI ?...The Crown Vic, say what you want about it, is a pretty tough platform that stands up to all kinds of hard use, but I hear all kinds of good things about the Dodges- and if their police package is a hemi and the new dodges are as tough as dodge police cars used to be, they might knock the fords out...they sure look tough enough, especially the chargers...What have you guys heard about them-and whether we might get them?

07-26-2006, 02:48 AM
They have the Hemi's in them and from what I hear, will throw your head against the seat!! Extremely fast but I have noticed a low profile on them so I am curious if they will be able to jump curbs and medians the way the Fords do?

As far as who are getting the test vehicles, it will be D7 - 2 cars, D8 - 2 cars, k-9 - 1 car, and K-9 intradiction - 2 cars. They wanted to put about 24,000 plus miles on them and the test should last a year. This is why those areas of the agency was chosen.

The new graphics package for the agency cars will come out on the chargers and on all new vehicles starting with the 2007 models. I was told someone in Special Ops came up with the design but to me it looks like what most of the other Sheriffs offices through out the state are going to.

All of this with the new LED light bars and we should look pretty sharp!! :D

07-28-2006, 03:23 PM
Whet is the new paint scheme? is it stripes of some kind or is it a green and white like alachua county so. (sort of like LAPD but with green instead of black.) Also, I looked inside the car and the passenger compartment looked well laid out, but the rear storage area appeared to have very little room...I wonder if the chargers have more area in their trunk space. Why did they go with the Magnum rather than the Charger, does anyone know? Either car has a real tough sort of look to it, I hope they hold up well to real world conditions....

07-28-2006, 07:26 PM
I believe the Magnum was chosen over the Charger because it is similar to an SUV and the dog cage can fit in the back whereas the Charger is more like a sedan and there is no room for the dog cages. They both have the same engine and horse power. If they select the Chrysler product I believe that they will use the Chargers for the road guys and the Magnums for anyone who currently needs the space for equipment. Probably K-9, Aviation, SWAT etc... or anyone who is currently driving an SUV.

The new paint scheme are tjhe stipes. The SUV that K-9 confiscated (Silver Expedition) and sitting at Special Ops is the same design except they will use a green and gold scheme. All of the gold and the word Sheriff will be refletive. It is sharp looking but most of the Sheriff Agencies in Florida have similar stripe design.

It will be two or more years before we, road guys, would get issued a Dodge if they go that route. They are still waiting for the 2006 order to come in from Ford and have already made known what the 2007 order will be for Ford so the earliest would be 2008 to see Chargers hitting road patrol.

One thing I have to say about CCSO, they are very aggressive to have and use the latest and greatest equipment. With other agencies it takes an act of Congress to buy or try something that is new or not broke.

Now if we can get Her Majesty (TW) in Mobile Data to come off some of those new laptops we will be doing alright. It is ashame that all of that new equipment is just sitting on a shelf because the majority of the "Workers" are not on her "Special" list. :evil:

I tried to go in her office the other day and I could not get in the door because her ego was so big. It must be hard trying to feed that ego when you are a Sergeant of no one but yourself. Don't get me started on her... she is so special I will save that for another thread :P

07-30-2006, 03:46 PM
Actually, 2008 isn't so bad- by then we will have thoroughly tested the units, and Chrysler will have worked out all the new model bugs...so the units will be tight.
Also, your'e right about us getting the best. And while it seems like it takes too long sometimes, part of that is just the size of the agency- its a lot of stuff to put out there, and it takes time to issue it all out. As for the laptops, some of that may be a case of them not fixing what aint broke- If they don't hear about how bad your old laptop is, they may think its just fine....

07-31-2006, 09:14 PM
I had an old laptop replaced with another old laptop...not once but twice. When I asked June if I could get a new laptop "Touchscreen" I was told that I had to be on the list. When I asked which list, I was told Tiffany's list. Then I asked how do you get on that list and no one in the office could explain and just smiled. I took that as saying there was no criteria, just the whims of one person in charge.

Point being, there are many new laptops just sitting on the shelf while other road guys suffer with the old units for no apparent policy or reason. Since we are short in staffing and no one is allowed to transfer to specialty positions or units, then ALL road guys should have the best if it is available, which it is.

I agree with Paradise on this issue, a seperate thread could be established on the Pricess and the laptops and ticket writers equipment issue. I will agree that if no one is aware of the current whims and lack of standards in issuing equipment that is sitting on a shelf then nothing will be done about it. That position over Mobile Data needs to be rotated out with new blood and ideas...just my opinion.

10-30-2006, 10:22 PM
Ford discontinued the Lincoln Town car, which means the crown victoria may be next, i wonder if we will see more DOdge Chargers or more Chevy Impalas.

11-03-2006, 08:07 AM
The Dodge police cars are garbage. Our department bought nearly 50 Intrepids over two years and have regreted it ever since. Intrepids run good but don't have enough ground clearance and the brakes are awefull.

About every 5,000 miles every car is either getting new brakes or rotors. During high speed braking you're lucky if the car will stop. The brakes heat up so much that they cease to function. We had more then one guy's brakes catch fire. Most of those cars are reaching 60 - 70,000 miles. Several of these cars have already had engines and transmissions replaced. These are take home vehicles. Not pool cars.

In order to replace the battery the front left tire needs to come off, a panel from the wheel well needs to be removed and then you can access the battery tray......

The spare tire is underneath a rubber mat in the trunk. In order to access it EVERYTHING has to be removed from the trunk. If you have alot of gear this really sucks ! I know this post is about the Magnums and Chargers. Hold your horses. I'm getting to that.

This year our department received two Chargers. After 5,000 miles one of the cars needed all new brakes and rotors. That same car is up to 10,000 miles now and is due for another brake and rotor replacement. The cars sqeak and rattle like you wouldn't believe. The side windows are very small and once a cage is installed the side and rear visibility is horrible. Yeah, they look cool but once you drive them for a bit the nostalgia wears off. When these cars first arrived everyone wanted to drive them. Now they sit because everyone had realized what pieces of junk they are.

The trunk space is terrible on the Charger. The spare tire takes up nearly the entire trunk leaving nearly no room for your gear.

As much as I hate to say it I feel the Ford CV is the greatest police car out there right now. Dodge knows how to make fast cars but just can't get past those good old American POS parts.

Bottom line is, we will drive whatever we are given. A free car is better then nothing.

11-03-2006, 01:27 PM
Thanks for the post Broward Officer! Good information. I know about the Intrepids. I had a friend in another county that was issued one. It was constantly in the shop. Plus others caught fire when parked in the NORMAL Florida grass on traffic stops. That has already happened at our agency. One burned up and four to go. We will see what happens but I am betting you are right! Like you say, Ford CV is the best patrol car out there right now and that is not really saying much! To bad one of the good foriegn car companies do not see a market in making a good police car for American cops, then we would have a car that actually performed and lasted to the 5 year term.

Thanks again for responding!

11-03-2006, 05:45 PM
Thanks for the post Broward Officer! Good information. I know about the Intrepids. I had a friend in another county that was issued one. It was constantly in the shop. Plus others caught fire when parked in the NORMAL Florida grass on traffic stops. That has already happened at our agency. One burned up and four to go. We will see what happens but I am betting you are right! Like you say, Ford CV is the best patrol car out there right now and that is not really saying much! To bad one of the good foriegn car companies do not see a market in making a good police car for American cops, then we would have a car that actually performed and lasted to the 5 year term.

Thanks again for responding!

I've been saying the same for years. If Honda or Toyota decided to make a Police package that would be great. I know it wouldnt be very American but let's face it, American products aren't cutting the mustard.

A stock V6 Accord or V6 Camry would be just fine. No need to beef up the brakes, cooling system or anything. They would just have to relocate the shifter from the center console to the steering column.

11-03-2006, 11:38 PM
i currently work in security at a power plant, we use Jeep Grand Cherokees, which you cant kill, but im sure there not that good for police work, and the other car we use are the full size hyundai. Now we dont get in pursuits or anything obvisouly, but our cars on being used 24/7, no breaks, and some of our guys beat the crap out of them flooring them, braking etc, and you can not kill one. Theyve been in accidetns at high speeds too, and they totally get wrecked and totally, but the passenger compartment is always in tact and no one was ever hurt. They have quick pick up too, we used to use american cars as well but they never lasted long.

11-08-2006, 05:01 PM
Love em or hate em, you can't deny that the Crown Vics stand up to some pretty incredible abuse and keep going....